The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Come Fly With Me (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
518 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Hello all,
I've been strongly considering purchasing Mark Mason's Come Fly With Me effect as I have heard some good things about it. However, in checking out several different magic websites (tannens, magic warehouse, elm, etc., etc.) they all seem to offer the effect made in US Half Dollars. I thought this effect was made with Morgan Silver Dollars which is what I want. Was this offered in silver dollars or did I get it wrong?

Also, I remember seeing a thread on the Café where there were comparisons/discussions about CFWM and Kholer's U3F. I can't seem to find the thread. Can someone help me find it? Any advice you can give me regarding a commercial 3fly effect/routine would be great. As always, many thanks!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
I got my Morgan dollars Come Fly With Me direct from JB Magic...UK.

Click Here!

I ordered my coins from Mark Mason, and I understood from what he say's that they only sell Morgans from the UK.

-Morten-
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
518 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Thanks Morten. I imagine I'll wind up paying a bit more for this set if it's coming from the UK. I trust that it'll definitely be worth it. Thanks again!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
https://vault2.secured-url.com/jbtv/usa/......=jbother

You have to scroll a bit but you'll see he offers Morgan dollar gaffs for USA customers. I recommend you catch him at a convention to hand pick a set you like though.

Best,
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3965 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Come Fly with Me is a nice coin trick, but really, when there are a multitude of ways of doing an effective Three Fly type routine with just sleight of hand, why spend a small fortune? Use that money and buy a bunch of other standard gaffs, that will allow you to do a million other tricks, or invest the money in teaching books and DVD's - for that money, you can buy a small library! Just my two cents, but really, you don't have to be a sleight of hand expert to do that effect. Daryl's routine costs 10 bucks I think, and you cdan find my own in my notes or DVD's. Then there are routines by practically every coin worker out there. Look for the threads on the Café for the research. Good luck!
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used on the book.
vpatanio
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of vpatanio
I agree with Dr. Rubinstein (although Come Fly with Me looks beautiful), some good resources I have used are:

Chris Kenner's Totally Out of Control - Menage et Trois

Flying Tonight by Gary Jones and Chris Congreave

Lee Asher's Three Stylin'

The choice is yours and I hope this helps. (what the heck...get all of it...chump change right?...haha)

-Vinny
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27104 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If you are going to take that approach at all, ask someone to make you a triple sliding nesting set - and if you can afford it, get two. Two such gaffs and one regular coin set you up for as clean looking a routine as you'll probably find without having to use a pull or holdout. Any of the serious gaff makers should be able to set you up with the cutdown/reg/expanded magnetic sliding set and if you can't work out a routine with those props in hand after a bit - email me. A little time spent learning some billiards conjuring might also be a good thing if you like this trick. Downs was doing a four balls across using billiards way back when.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4745 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Roberto,

You can find the Morgan set of Come Fly with Me from Mark's US based website by Clicking Here!.

Remember that actual Silver Dollars are going to be a bit more pricey compared to halves due mostly because of their age and silver content. I have a set of the Morgan's and they are very well made. However, as others have pointed out you certainly have a slew of options available to you, so choose...but choose wisely. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
518 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Wow! Lots of great advice from everyone, thanks! I absolutely love the Three Fly effect especially when it is done in a clear, easy-to-follow fashion where the audience is not confused by what you're doing.

I've been practicing Daryl's 3fly effect for a few months now. However, I've heard such great response on Mason's version and it looks so clean from the short video clip that I'm strongly considering it. I purchased R. Paul Wilson's version, Completely Crowded, but didn't care for it.

I'll definitely look into the sleight of hand versions like Kenner's and Rubenstein's. I also understand that Trooy Hooser and Dan Watkins have their versions of Three Fly on their DVDs. Can anyone let me know how good these are? Thanks again!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I bought my Morgan set from Mark at WMS and was able look through all he had and decide which set I liked best!

VERY high quality gaff work and the routine itself is purdy sweet as well! I actually do both CFWM but more often Rannie Raymundo's BFly!

I certainly don't disagree with what others have said in this thread about other options for less $ but this is dang sure a nice set of coins IMO!

MMc
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4951 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
At FISM in Stockholm some years ago a magician showed me - Come Fly With Me and that was a wonderful experience. Very magical. Like real magic.
If yo can afford it, buy it.
polygonsmagic
View Profile
Special user
511 Posts

Profile of polygonsmagic
I would only buy come fly with me if you see all the coins first. I think the new sets are not being made with coins that match as well and are as nice as the originals were. The first run was nice soft old morgans.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-06-27 02:03, Doug Lippert wrote:
I recommend you catch him at a convention to hand pick a set you like though.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Mike Melito
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Mike Melito
I got a Kennedy set off of Ebay for a good price. I showed 'em to Mark at the Jubilee and I don't think he had seen a kennedy set before. Both he and his wife were 'ewwww and 'ahhhhhh - look at the baby coins. Mark really like the magnetic stregnth though. Commenting that he thinks it was stronger than the morgan set he had.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
If you go with the Morgan set, get soft Morgans. This handling requires a lot of sliding coins against each other. The first set I bought from Mark were shiney new 1921 Morgans. At that time I didn't understand the advantage of soft coins in an effect like this, and I liked the new look of the coins. When performing the routine, the coins were noisy during some of the moves. Mark was at WMS and graciously let me trade up to a soft Morgan set. Much quieter! Remember that this isn't a close up routine. You need to be at least a few feet from your spectators when performing CFWM. I haven't studied the other 3 Fly options because CFWM was the first I saw, and watching Mark perform it just floored me. I have studied Dean Dill's 3CM three fly, but find Mark's easier to perform and more magical. I'm sure there are a lot of great options out there. CFWM is certainly worth consideration.
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
518 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Sammy,
I just purchased a used CFWM from a Café member who sold me his set for a great price. I was under the impression that CFWM was ideal for close-up. Why do you state it is not?

Thanks,
Roberto
Original Card Clinician
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I've had no problem performing this close up! I think the advantage of Morgans is you can do it close up or in a parlor setting!
daveboldt
View Profile
New user
Dallas
22 Posts

Profile of daveboldt
Isn't Come Fly with Me the same as Super Triple Coin Set by Johnny Wong? -Dave-
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
Quote:
On 2009-07-04 07:00, daveboldt wrote:
Isn't Come Fly with Me the same as Super Triple Coin Set by Johnny Wong? -Dave-

No, Come Fly with Me is a set from Mark Mason, JB Magic.
marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
I am sorry to ask but I am novice on these coin effects. My son wants a set of Morgans to do 3 fly and wants them to be magnetic. Which maker does the 3 fly that way? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Come Fly With Me (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL