The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Come Fly With Me (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
306 Posts

Profile of lithyem
@marshalldoll - are you looking for a 3fly effect that uses magnets in the routine or simply a set of morgans that are magnetic for other reasons like a holdout or ditching. You can get morgans that are magnetically attracted OR ones that have magnets in them. I'm pretty sure that Tango makes both, I know Kreis makes some also. If you look for a thread in this forum for gaff coin makers you will find some custom makers that can all do magnetic Morgans.

I'm not sure of a 3fly effect based on magnetics. Maybe look into Johnny Wong coin sets Dream Coin and Super Triple Coin - but I'm not certain.
marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
Lithyem
I am looking for 3 fly using magnetic properties much like the Wong's Super Triple. I don't know if anyone makes them. My son asked me so I am searching.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2009-07-04 14:57, marshalldoll wrote:
Lithyem
I am looking for 3 fly using magnetic properties much like the Wong's Super Triple. I don't know if anyone makes them. My son asked me so I am searching.

Probably quickest to contact the two "big" names and ask them about triple nesting magnetic sliding sets. They both offer regular magnetic nesting sets and also make shimmed sliders.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
daveboldt
View Profile
New user
Dallas
22 Posts

Profile of daveboldt
Quote:
On 2009-07-04 09:56, MortenN wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-04 07:00, daveboldt wrote:
Isn't Come Fly with Me the same as Super Triple Coin Set by Johnny Wong? -Dave-

No, Come Fly with Me is a set from Mark Mason, JB Magic.

I meant are they basically the same gimmick?
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Quote:
On 2009-07-04 22:39, daveboldt wrote:
No, Come Fly with Me is a set from Mark Mason, JB Magic.

I meant are they basically the same gimmick?

No, not at all!

MMc
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2009-07-03 20:51, mrmagik68 wrote:
Sammy,
I just purchased a used CFWM from a Café member who sold me his set for a great price. I was under the impression that CFWM was ideal for close-up. Why do you state it is not?

Thanks,
Roberto

I should have been more clear. The coins used in CFWM require some distance from the spectator in order to conceal the nature of the coins. When I say it's not a close up effect, I mean that I like to have at least four to five feet between me and the audience. It's not that you need to be in a parlour setting, but you need more distance than a lot of close up coin effects to ensure that everything looks natural. I use the Morgan set. I have seen the half dollar set and played with it a little bit. I don't know which set you bought Roberto, but think the issues would be the same with both. I hope this helps. It's just an opinion, but it was suggested to me by David Neighbors, and I think it is worth consideration.
Cheers,
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2009-07-04 21:40, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

Probably quickest to contact the two "big" names and ask them about triple nesting magnetic sliding sets. They both offer regular magnetic nesting sets and also make shimmed sliders.

Interesting thought, Jonathan. Talk about a pure ultimate gaff approach! No bringing of the hands together. I'm trying to imagine how to manage the sets! I'm also wondering about how to show three separate coins at the end of the routine. Fun to think about!
Sammy J. Teague
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
As I told Sammy If I am going to do a Close-up coins across That's A walk around no table one I would want to do it into the sp. Hand! I have allways thought holding them at the fingertip was so a biger grope of people could see the coins!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Sammy J., just add one regular coin to that mix.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
574 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Oh! Oh! I purchased CFWM for the sole purpose of performing it up close, not a few feet away from my spectators. I heard so much praise about the quality of the coins that I automatically assumed the coins were good enough to withstand relatively close scrutiny. I purchased the set with Morgan Dollars. Well, we'll see. I should be getting my set in a few days.

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Just a fantasy thought, but a coin roll would be very visual method, with each coin ending displayed trapped between the fingers. HOW this might be accomplished eludes me.

Kotah
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2009-07-05 12:15, mrmagik68 wrote:
Oh! Oh! I purchased CFWM for the sole purpose of performing it up close, not a few feet away from my spectators. I heard so much praise about the quality of the coins that I automatically assumed the coins were good enough to withstand relatively close scrutiny. I purchased the set with Morgan Dollars. Well, we'll see. I should be getting my set in a few days.

Roberto

Roberto, no worries. Once you are comfortable performing this routine you will be able to discover the distance that works for you. Relatively close scrutiny is certainly possible. All I am doing is explaining the distance that I think is best. You will figure out what works for you. If you need any advice, once you get your coins, feel free to PM me. For me, the last move was the most difficult to master. Mark Mason thought I was nuts for taking so long to learn it.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
306 Posts

Profile of lithyem
I just got a Morgan set of "come fly with me"... the coins out of the box need some real work to clean up. They are coated in some strange sticky substance - making them not want to slide against each other and fouling the teflon. Oh this is odd but they STINK.. as in they smell horrible! The sticky crap and stink I can clean up but I'm not blown away by the workmanship I have to say. I'm not sure how much detail I can go into here so I'll be vague but the edges of the coins are very sloppy in my opinion. Anyone else share this sentiment?
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
That does sound strange and was not at all my experience! My set was top shelf right out of the box! I looked through at least 20 sets before choosing mine and they were ALL of the highest quality!

MMc
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
306 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Mickey I'll PM you and discuss further...
In other news the coins cleaned up easily with some SimpleGreen.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Could the stickiness be due to the plastic coin holders? Maybe they got really hot? Of course that would have probably warped the DVD. Given the nature of the edges I prefer to perform from some distance (discussed earlier). I have had two sets and can't say that the edges looked sloppy on either set.
If you aren't happy with them, contact Mark Mason. He will most definately make things right.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
rizyanrizy
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of rizyanrizy
I saw it on magicgeek, it was awesome, I wonder how...
Gahrsim
View Profile
New user
Nantes, France
10 Posts

Profile of Gahrsim
I only have one thing to say: I purchased a sliding shell set about 2 years ago and I've had some fun performing with it...but in the end what I do perform on a regular basis is a much more logical and practical 3fly (from Gary Kurtz actually). That is not to say CFWM or others U3F can't be great routines, but I just get the feeling people are expecting you won't have to put too much work to have a "miracle" because of the highly gimmicked nature of the set. I turns out to be wrong.

I was probably a bit like that when I purchased my set. We all do the same mistakes...

So I'll second what has been said by much more competent magicians than myself here (I'm thinking of Michael Rubinstein among others), just buy some books and DVD's and get to work with a simple s***l and 3 coins, or 4 regular coins. Eventually you will get a strong routine you will do your whole life and it will be much more rewarding.

And of course, all of this is just my humble opinion...

Guillaume
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
306 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Guillaume that's a good recommendation for sure.

My preference has always been for sleight-based effects then a knockout with an unexpected gaff. I can do a solid 1-coin routine (which could be don with a regular coin) all the while using a 3CM - and at the point when it's least expected produce another coin allllmost confirming that I was using 2 coins. Than guess what I can show a 3rd that I "keep hidden just for times like this". I can make the 3rd coin dissolve, the second vanish with a snap and the first coin vanish with a puff of air - take a bow and I'm completely clean.

If you are adept with ungaffed coins you can devastate with gaffs. On the flip side I think if you start using gaffs too early on you will never realize the potential of the hardware... just my thoughts
Michael
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
574 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Guillaume/Michael,
Very good advice gentlemen. Café members here rock!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Come Fly With Me (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL