The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Washing and drying silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
I just tried out a tip that I got from a David Stone book or DVD on washing and drying silks. Wash them under cold water and then wring them out and place them flat onto a mirror or window. They dry flat stuck to the glass and when you remove them they have no wrinkles. It works well and is a great tip if you are on the road.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This does work, but please just squeeze them out rather than wring them. Twisting will cause wrinkles and maybe other damage for a wet silk.

I use baby shampoo when I can't use Woolite. A dot of fabric softener will usually kill static problems too.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7550 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
This tip does work. It goes back to the Great Ovette from Canada in 1920's. That is the first record I inow of it in printed form.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6082 Posts

Profile of videoman
That's how I've always done it too. Works a charm. When I was working restaurants I'd wet down my TT silk and put it on the mirror earlier in the day. After a night of being scrunched into a TT you can imagine how wrinkled it would get. Then later after getting showered and ready to go I'd find it lying right there on the bathroom counter as if it were saying "don't forget me". An excellent way to remind me not to forget it.
Fred-Erik Johanson
View Profile
New user
Estonia
89 Posts

Profile of Fred-Erik Johanson
I have done it at least all of my silks. When I buy some silks they got some industry wrinkles, then its the only way I can imagine to get rid of these wrinkles.
I have always used a glass table. For record I think, for me that is, its not needed to unwrinkle TT silk because I use it as the silk as a flower coming out of the larger silk.

-Fred
markofmagic
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of markofmagic
I have used this as well. But I just dampen the silk to remove wrinkles and if it is really soiled I use a little woolite and then put them on the glass or mirror.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I haven't used this method since Friday night at the IBM Convention at Nashville. I did three stage shows (Thursday, Friday and Saturday) with the same set of silks "ironed" this way before each show.

It is a very old method and it works.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7550 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Was it because the iron had grilled cheese on it?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
tjaymagic
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of tjaymagic
I've just bought a couple of silks, and after praticing/performing with these and a TT, they look bedragled...so will be doing this!

Great tip guys!
hey... Smile Smile Smile ... what is this signature saying about me?!
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-06-27 01:20, hugmagic wrote:
This tip does work. It goes back to the Great Ovette from Canada in 1920's. That is the first record I inow of it in printed form.

Richard

Bob is modest, its been in his lecture for years.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
tjaymagic
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of tjaymagic
By the way, did this last night, silks good as new....and not getting stuck in a TT!!!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Clean silk is a delight to use.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1909 Posts

Profile of chmara
Just be cautious with some tie-dyes that bleed. Of course keep colors separate - and it is best not to wash in the same cycle as you underwear (LOL).

I once had an assistant wash a long wide streamer -- and fold it on itself "just for a few minutes" while wet. Had a hole new look after drying.. not professional or vivid at all.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Two colors to really watch are red and gold.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
tjaymagic
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of tjaymagic
With the cold water, wringing out (not too much though) and sticking 'em on a mirror, so long as you put them under a tap seperatly, then this shouldn't be an issue.

BUT...if you have friends over who don't know about your guilty secret with magic...it does throw up some interesting questions...but that is an entirely different topic! (i.e. silks on mirrors!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Washing and drying silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL