The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What a rush! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Decibel33
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Decibel33
Today I did a birthday/farewell party for our daycare lady. She's got 5 year old twins whose birthdays were being celebrated today, plus this is her last day running her daycare. Very sad for us, because she was amazing with our daughter. (Very hard to find these days.) Well, she knew I did magic, but had no idea what kind I did, or what to expect. Being that she's mainly known me as one of her daycare dads, she didn't expect much.

Anyway, this was the show I was supposed to be doing outdoors, but then she quickly changed her mind this morning. And I'm really glad she did. We were in her air conditioned basement, and there were about 15 kids with three adults. I did the show for free because she's been taking our daughter once a week for free for the last several months, while my wife is on mat leave. This was my first in-home party. And it went AMAZING!!!

The older kids had to pick up their jaws several times, as well as the adults! Against suggested advice from here, I did start the show with a routine including the silk to appearing cane. BIG response! The rest of the opener was rope to silk, and gloves to streamer. The rest of the show was silk through mirror, magic coloring book/vanishing crayons, vanishing coke bottle routine, invisible zone, cupcake pan, vanishing bandanna, and snowstorm in china to close. There wasn't a single effect that was glazed over! It was so amazing!

I wasn't sure how the snowstorm would turn out with the kids (and yes, I did get approval from the mom first!) but they were so caught up in the story and then they all got up danced around in the flakes as I made them appear! I SO wish the show was video taped!

Anyway, after the show, the daycare lady said, "I'm sorry Dan, but I really didn't expect you to be that good at all, but you were SO good! That was amazing!" It felt good to hear (sort of). Knowing that she didn't think I'd be that good was a testament to what she'd thought of me as a magician, but I appreciated her honesty. But then to hear that she was basically blown away was the pick-me-up! She then said that she's passing my name to everyone she knows! AND paying me for the show, because she didn't think I shouldn't get paid.

Oh man, thinking back, I connected with everyone during the show and it was such a rush! Sorry for such a long post. I'll shut up now! LOL! Man, what a....oops, shutting up!
magicone
View Profile
Veteran user
Doylestown, PA
351 Posts

Profile of magicone
Decibel33,

Congratulations, it's always good to hear when a show goes well. You said "This was my first in-home party" where do you normally perform and for whom?

David
Decibel33
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Decibel33
I started my journey in magic 24 years ago, but only started public performances 10 years ago as a strolling magician. Never made anything serious out of it, though. Recently, I tried my hand at parlor magic, and have done volunteer work only, in the local hospital. If all my shows go as well as this one did, I will never complain! Of course, that's dreaming!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2009-06-27 00:16, Decibel33 wrote:
If all my shows go as well as this one did, I will never complain! Of course, that's dreaming!

Actually it's not dreaming. Once you get into the grove, then things will start to go like this regularly. Well done on the show - it sounds like a blast. If you enjoy something as much as this, you have to do more.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Congratulations on a great show. You're hooked!!

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What a rush! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL