The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Clip boards & such (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
What kind of stuff do you all use for your dirty work? Clip boards, pads, centers, etc.

I use a handy dandy thought transmitter, but I would like something bigger such as a clip board for larger audiences.

Any recommendations are appreciated. Smile

Thanx,

Ichazod

All the worlds a stage,

And the men & women merely players;

They have their exits

and their entrances,

And one man in his time

plays many parts.
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
700 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
Are you wanting something for pre-show work?
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

Pre-show or during the show, I’m curious as to how others do it & what they use.

Ichazod Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
The Lee Earle Millenium Board is nice, but I like the old Nelson pads, too. I use lots of other stuff as well, which can be found in the basic texts of mentalism.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
I second the Nelson clip boards - absolutely basic but still, in my view, all you could want. The ultra-thin type, such as the original Lee Earle, micro-thin, are good and may be considered more deceptive, but it depends how much time and privacy you have for obtaining the info. With the humble, simple Nelson board you can 'whip it out' (if you'll pardon the expression!) in a second or two - say, just under cover of putting something away in a case.

A word about the transparent type, as invented by Roni Shachnay but marketed by Guy Bavli. Roni's original was clear plastic, which worked very well. The Bavli version is sometimes tinted plastic, such as a light brown or coffee colour. This is a design flaw, in my opinion, and the impression can be seen against the plastic even by the spectator. So, if you want the see-thru plastic type, which IS very deceptive, make sure you get it with the totally clear plastic (like clear glass).
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5808 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
To heck with all that. I wish I could do cold reading. Now I wonder where I could learn the complete facts about cold reading Smile

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Makes watching J. Edward like watching a cooking show...and I'm only about half way through. Thanks Ian!

Tom Cutts
JaquaiGul
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis
31 Posts

Profile of JaquaiGul
Where can the Nelson boards be found today? Are they available through dealers?

Smile
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
I don't have the definitive word on the availability of the Nelson-style boards, but I'm pretty sure you CAN still get them. Many years ago I thought Magic Inc. in Chicago used to carry them, and John Cornelius marketed a set of them (two boards) a while back. But this is all probably out of date. All you can do is trawl around the dealer sites until you find a winner.

That is, until someone better informed than I (i.e. most people) comes along to this here forum.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
If you are looking for a great pad, you cannot go wrong with Kerry Summers NOTE BOOK, Golden West Productions.
This is a fairly new item. The spiral notebook uses a principle I have not previously seen in the literature, although Max Maven or Ian may have.
You literally get the information right in front of your audience assistant. It can be used for pre-show or during your show. Also it is something you can carry with you all the time for those "impromptu" moments.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
I’m interested in this pad. What kind of stuff can you do with it? I’ve always been a close-up kind of guy who didn’t have much training. I just saw people do things and wanted to be able to do better then they did. So I came up with the effects I wanted to achieve and just thought and played around with stuff until I found a way. This has it’s advantages and disadvantages obviously. I’m wanting to try performing professionally starting this summer. I have just received the "how to be a millionaire performing magic or entertaining" book (not exact title), but I need to adapt an act to stage. Please excuse my ignorance, but I’m trying to learn a whole new area.

Jonathan
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
Ted Lesley has a good pad in his book Paramiracles called: The working pros switch pad
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

I too am interested in the Summers notepad, I have heard good things about it.

I also wish to thank Drew McAdam for giving me some advice on this subject.

Smile
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
I've seen the pad, and frankly while it's a good principle, two things turned me off. First, when I saw it demoed, it didn't work smoothly. This may have been because it wasn't properly prepped, but regardless, it wasn't a good first impression.

Second, the pad looks like a pad from the stationery section of Toys R' Us, with a cartoony drawing on the front cover (I can't remember exactly what it was offhand). It didn't look like a pad any self-respecting entertainer working for adults (especially in a business environment) would ever use. To be usable for me, it would have to have at worst a low key pattern, at best a solid cover (or a few solid colored sections, as necessary to hide the gaff).

My recommendation is to find a shop that stocks it and see it before you buy it, so you can decide for yourself.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6583 Posts

You could always cover the cover (?) with a wood grain or other type of contact paper.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Mark Strivings
View Profile
V.I.P.
285 Posts

Profile of Mark Strivings
Sorry, you can't cover the cover of the Notebook. It won't work.

Too bad you saw a bad demo, Andy. I think it's a killer. Granted, the thing does look like it came from a low end stationary store, but for many venues it's fine. If you're working extreme upscale (or if your own performing persona doesn't mix with it), I would use something else. For the vast majority of us, I think it's great. Certainly the most immediate impression available and the easiest to reset on the fly. Very practical.

Just my opinion,

Mark Strivings
Mark Strivings is the owner of the largest all-mentalism mail order supply business in the world, "Mental Connections", carrying materials not available anywhere else. For complete info, drop Mark a line at MarkyApril@aol.com
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6583 Posts

Sorry. I don't have it, and was offering this as a suggestion. Clearly, I should have kept my keyboard shut!
My Lybrary Page
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1235 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Just to make one thing clear about my comments on the KS notebook - it's the PRINCIPLE that's clever and can be used in a variety of ways in other situations. Granted it looks kinda' tacky, but take the idea and make it work elsewhere - there are DOZENS of applications!
Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
...however you could exchange the toyish cover for something else along the lines suggested by Andy, but it would take some work.

I'm a little surprised to why this isn't done by Mr, Summers actually. It wouldn't be any problem.

Matias
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
What Drew, Matias, and Mark say is quite true about the pad in question.

Another great immediate impression is Allen Zingg's "Son of Mindscan". That's always been a favorite of mine (which reminds me, I need to order a few Smile
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
fordkross
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of fordkross
There are various good impression devices. Nelson's UP clip board probably the best. But looking at original material is preferale e.g. billet switch, Jacks Wallet, center tear. It's often adventageous to mix up your methods so no no one has a chance to see it over and over
from
Ford
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Clip boards & such (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL