The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Years Later (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1040 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Thought it might be interesting to see who out there has run into someone you preformed for as a child years later and what they remembered about your show.

Maybe it was your opener.

Or your closer.

Something you didn’t expect…
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Years back, I was privileged to be a "wish" for one of the kids from the Make-A-Wish Foundation. This young boy had cancer and was on the list for a lung transplant. Without one, he would likely die. I wasn't aware of how the process works but, I was told that a person only stays on the active list for a year. Anyways, this young boy was nearing the end of that year.

When I met him before the show, I was completely blown away. Here was a smiling, enthusiastic boy that was full of life. If you didn't pay attention to the fact that he had lost all his hair and was breathing through the aid of an external tank, you wouldn't know anything was wrong with him.

The rest of the children arrived, and the show went on. It was extremely well received by everyone, including my young friend. At the end of the show, I invited him up on stage and introduced him to the audience. I told him that one of the reasons I loved magic so much is that it teaches us that anything is possible. Then, he floated.

It was one of the shows that moved me most. But life goes on and, with the passage of time, memories and emotions fade. Then one day, I'm out shopping. Someone taps me on the back. I turn around and see a young man standing before me, but I don't recognize him. And then he smiled. ... Drew received his new lungs!

----------------

As a magician, you can easily go through life thinking all you do is perform tricks. But you can make a difference. Drew's story is only one of many that I have been privileged to experience with cancer patients, young and old. Now, as I grow older, I'm constantly reminded of something Drew said to me.

"Dying is easy. Everyone dies. But few people know how to live."

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9681 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I am currently on my second generation of families, having done kids, teen and even young adult events for years. Now a good deal of my business is from those very same kids now grown up with families, and businesses of their own who now book me for their kids, teen and young adult performances. I would imagine in the next five years or so I may even start hitting a new third generation of family members. Nothing like good past performances, word of mouth and referrals to keep the snowball a-rollin'.

Oh I forgot to mention, the reason I even mentioned this, is when they call to book me, they almost always tell me (without having to even ask) what they remembered the most and "do you still do that as part of your show". I always make it a point to include what they request or have remembered the most in their performance too. Many time I even get told " it was even better than I remembered it" or "it was just as good as I remembered it when I was a kid/teen, etc."
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I don't know whether I have been in the business long enough to be doing the parties of the offspring of earlier party kids yet. But I had a funny experience a few years ago. I did a party for a young girl in the spring. The following December that girl travelled to Lapland to see Santa. I overheard her wishpering to her mother: "I saw Tony Baloney." But her mother assured her that she had not seen me - I was back in Ireland. Imagine her surprise when her daughter was proved right!
The following summer I was doing shows on the Ireland to France ferry, and the same girl and her mother were on board. Then in October the family moved to Abu Dhabi, in the UAE. They attended a party thrown by the local Irish Society to get to know the local community. And once again I was the entertainment.
The young girl is convinced that I am the only magician in the world. And her mother is probably convinced I am stalking the family!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Recently I encountered a mature man who had seen a magic show I had done at church too long ago.

He remembered torn and restored newspaper. (Probably back then a newspaper was a nickel!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Early this summer I was appproached by a young man who asked me if I was the same magician who used to stick cards to the ceiling at another restaurant 15 years ago? I told him I was the one and the same. I asked what he had done with himself for the past 15 years and he said that he now lived and worked in Houston, TX. Living in Little Rock and currently seeing him back here in town, I asked him what he did for a living now that he was no longer in school. He told me he worked for NASA in their rocket propulsion division. So this kid, who is now a rocket scientist for NASA says, "Look I promise I won't tell anybody, how did you get all those cards to stick on the ceiling?" I shook his hand and said, "Dude, you're the rocket scientist, and while I still can't tell you, you have just really made my day!" HA. We both had a laugh and I put another card on the ceiling for him at the new restaurant.

A bit ironic in a way. He's working to get human beings into outer space without turning them into a mass of goo, and he still wonders how to stick a playing card on the ceiling of a restaurant. Sweet.

Derrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Years Later (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL