The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » New Spirit Bell (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
539 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Check out the new Spirit Bell at http://www.bobkohlermagic.com

Thanks,
Nick
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3796 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Ok, another spirit bell...
I must admit that I have a little preference for the Frida Kahlo cabinet.
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1523 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Hmm. I have an old Wisseman bell and I am completely happy with it. Because it's REAL!!! Smile
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I do not like this bell.

A bell to me is something that hangs from a hook. Plus a spirit would then MAKE the bell ring by moving the bell, not by pulling a piece of rope! Unless it is a retard ghost.

Ray
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
I'm with the Curator on this one!
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Yes, my cabinet is coming pretty soon as well and...something else... HOWEVER...I still thought this little bell was a neat looking thing in it's own way. Yet another "spirit contact" possibility. I enjoyed the video.

So there! Smile

Chad
The Wizard of Hearts
View Profile
Veteran user
Tulsa, Oklahoma
323 Posts

Profile of The Wizard of Hearts
Looks too gimmicky for my taste. The method demands the almost Rube Goldberg construction. If I were a spirit, wouldn't I just shake the bell, or the bell's clapper? I much prefer Tim's spirit bell--and the one in Frida's Cabinet that should be arriving at my door sometime this coming week.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I also have Tim's bell and telegraph - but remember, very few folks would have any clue as to what a "spirit" would do to communicate - ring a bell, pull a rope, etc. Spirits can do whichever they want!
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3305 Posts

Profile of takeachance
I understand what some are saying about the look of this bell and thought the same. Then I remembered the story of people being buried alive in the 17 & 1800's. Medicine wasn't an exact science then (nor today)Some people fearing wakeing up in a coffin, had a bell system installed, so if they did, they could ring the bell so to speak to alert the caretaker. I'm not sure but I heard on a graveyard tour, that this is were "saved by the bell" came from and was adapted to boxing. Anyway, this looks like a contrapion that would be hooked up to a grave or crypt, so would make a good story. The fact that it can be put together by the spectator is definately a plus. It also gives another option as to what is available to us to perform with.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Quote:
On 2009-06-27 20:43, takeachance wrote:
I understand what some are saying about the look of this bell and thought the same. Then I remembered the story of people being buried alive in the 17 & 1800's. Medicine wasn't an exact science then (nor today)Some people fearing wakeing up in a coffin, had a bell system installed, so if they did, they could ring the bell so to speak to alert the caretaker. I'm not sure but I heard on a graveyard tour, that this is were "saved by the bell" came from and was adapted to boxing. Anyway, this looks like a contrapion that would be hooked up to a grave or crypt, so would make a good story. The fact that it can be put together by the spectator is definately a plus. It also gives another option as to what is available to us to perform with.

Love it! I use the story of being buried alive and ringing the bell in one of my programs and this does fit that most perfectly! Good connection!
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
Well Takeachance you've hit one of our presentations on the head. "Saved by the bell" indeed did come from the 17th and 18th centuries to save people buried while in comas. I guess that's why doctor's are "practicing" medicine.

I love all of these type props. I believe that they are tools for performers to create their own "theatre." Spirit Bells lend themselves very well to many types of performances. I've used a National brand Spirit Bell in trade shows to sell product. I've also used it in formal close-up shows, hospitality suites etc. I think they are great in intimate settings.

I don't think the man on the street has ever considered what a Spirit Bell would or should look like. I think it's up to the performer to "sell" the prop they have decided on using to get the most out of it.

I've been involved with Nick's Spirit Bell since the beginning. We've modified it quite a bit and I've had the opportunity to use it now for several months. For me it kills. I love that I can take all of the parts out and hand them to the spectators and with just a few simple instructions they assemble everything.

The first time the swing arm rocks and rings the bell they absolutely jump. That's the reaction I'm looking for. I've asked many folks who've seen it what they think. I believe the animation is what garners the reaction. It's animation multiplied by surprise. I don't believe they are ready for it since they've assembled the Spirit Bell, I never touch it again and yet it rings answering questions on my command.

It's a great time to be into Spirit Bells right now. There are a lot of choices. Have I used them all. No...
But the Wenger Spirit Bell works well for me.

I've put out a lot of magic in my career. Nick's Spirit Bell has taken off. The first batch sold out in less than 15 minutes after the new web site launched. We're now selling the spots in the second batch.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
From the ad copy, it sounds actually very very good. I own Tim's Spirit Telegraph, Dead Ringer, Dead Rap..etc. I got Real Ghosts etc. etc... so, I think I might get this too... I especially like any prop that can be examined... and assembled by assistants... that would be cool...

But, I'll wait for the reviews by people who actually bought it... (unless BK and gang feel like sending one out to me for a indepth review under genuine seance conditions (yuk yuk, never hurts to ask))...

:)
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4198 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I want ALL the Spirit Bells.

When I finally have an octave...all the tiny bells will be adjusted to the proper pitches for a Spirit bell choir. Smile
The Wizard of Hearts
View Profile
Veteran user
Tulsa, Oklahoma
323 Posts

Hey Eddie, great idea! You could do Xmas gigs with spirit voices and Spirit bells instead of hand bells..
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2473 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Can the bell arm drop faster? it looks wrong, like a hydraulic arm releasing.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Look for "The Departed" this summer

Made by Josephus Hobbs in 1903 for sale to carnival fakes

A Tim Wissemann, Karl Feret Outlaw effect

A dead rap and spirit bell sucker cabinet
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
The Wizard of Hearts
View Profile
Veteran user
Tulsa, Oklahoma
323 Posts

You're not going to do me in again, are you Rick? Argh...

Oh, and to the Sponge, no, the bell arm cannot be speeded up. It is what it is. It gets so worked up from all the spooks, it needs a few seconds to have a scotch and unwind. You'd need some time to unwind if a ghost pulled your chain, now wouldn't you?
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1480 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
A buffer or some controls for that video would be a good idea. Or a lower res clip. Watching that was frustrating.

Looks interesting though.

Luke
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
Hi Luke,
There is a lower resolution video on the product page that you can control.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
The assembly looks really nice but the cord animation is wrong and not hard for a layman to spot ie: if the cord tightens for the arm to raise ,then there should be some slack gained elsewhere along the line ( my daughter asked why not .....) .Possibly requires a fexible wire in the main line to the end that can fex in relation to the arm raising ( that would make it a winner in books). All said and done though I hope it sells well for you though.
Regards Mark.
E.O.I
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » New Spirit Bell (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL