The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Festival "Crashing" (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24064 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I will never forget the first time I crashed a festival. I brought less props than average because I wanted to start small from being noticed by the wrong people. I had someone from the audience take pictures of my show for me.

I was lucky the two police officers watching me for a moment did not interrupt me. They were partners. I am glad they were young. I bet they were inexperienced. It is hard to see one of them. Look at the girl on the left in the pink dress up front. Behind her, you will see a man in a grey striped shirt. On the right, behind that man you will see part of the police officer. His partner is not in view of the picture.

The girl's father gave me a $20 tip because I used her in the show as a volunteer at the beginning, and kept her attention the whole time.

Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Great pix and Good crowd!!!
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24064 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2013, fireperformer911 wrote:
Paddy and tboehnlein

To give false information is harmful to any new performers.

I agree fireperformer911. It is also harmful to the performer to give a false statement on their website to have one of their past clients as President George W. Bush. Paddy has that near the bottom of his website on the home page.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
A when Pres Bush was in Cincinnati he and his secret service agents stopped and watched my show, as he left he said "good job." So I have performed for him. As for money made while crashing fests I make a LOT more doing balloons than magic so I do balloons and pull in up to $75/hr Spend 10 hours a day for 3 days and figure how much you can make. Hey it's the real world, if you're not multi talented you suck. I now do magic, balloons and keyboard Smile
I'm not like Mike that crashes a fest and then claims it a street show. Big difference between busking and crashing, we have to stop they crowd and get them to stay because of our talent. Crashers go to the crowds that want to be entertained. Also Mike I see you're so busy that you have one of the highest post counts some of us do while others talk about doing.

Posted: Dec 21, 2014 02:08 pm
OH yes, as an addendum to my last post. A certain member, who will remain nameless but his initials are DYNAMIKE, did a sidewalk show at the White House Easter Egg roll then claimed he worked the White House. A little hypocritical to call me down for busking and having the President stop and comment that it was a good show. Mike, I don't know why you don't like me, perhaps it is anti-Semitism on your part, but let's knock it off.

Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
I once performed for the Queen of England......well, that's who he said he was.

Ok, actually what he said was, "If your a magician I'm the Queen of England..."

Joking aside, Happy Christmas lads Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24064 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Paddy, a lot of us heard you do not have much time to live. You should get a life and travel around enjoying things instead of crashing people threads with lies. You are just making it worst for yourself you know.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1069 Posts

Profile of imgic
Hey. If we wanted bickering and pointless allegations, we could go to the "Not Very Magical but Still" section.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I have NEVER lied on this, or any other, forum. From now on I will ignore Mike. Yes, like every one of us, I am dieing, so are you who read these words. Smile

fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Paddy

So you did make $4800 a day for 150/show, 4shows/hour, 8 hours/day?
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
No I made $4800 doing balloons for 10 hours a day, for 3 days just standing there and cranking them out for tips. I was luck that there no mooches at that fest so everybody who got a balloon paid something. Antbody can do it you just have to work, this crap of working 2 hours and taking a break doesn't cut it. As long as there are people there I am working. I follow the simple rules, make a couple of BIG hats for a couple of kids and do it for free if you have to When they walk around you have free advertizing. Also clean out the tip cup often, always leave some in but if people see the tip cup full they figure you don't need any more, also I always salt my cup with a $5 and two $1 bills. Also it was a German Fest and I put myself near the beer tents so when dad had a beer and kiddie wanted a balloon he was more generous

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24064 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Your false statement averages $160 an hour. Smile
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
If the question is, is it possible to make real god money with balloons on the street?
The the answer is yes you can, in fact you can make a small fortune ballon busking but it won't be consistent all year around.
I have seen ballon buskers make more money than a magic show does.
Not many know this but for a time, two seasons I did ballon busking in the early nineties I also did a my fair stretch of pitching. that is why I was able teach and get Lady Vee started. This was good money but nothing like Paddy is talking about.
On the other hand going to one or two events I made money with balloons that was of the scale and breaking into three figures an hour busking but this is rare and only at a very good event.
Making average money is possible with balloons but It is not easy and you will rub necks with street traders more than you will street performers.
The Police may be less sympathetic as you claim to be a busker and not a trader.
I will also add to maintain this high level of turn at an event over for a prolonged time I could never do due to extreme boredom that would kick in and that's why I went back to my day job of doing steet shows.
The chances are if you getting into balloon busking will never experience this level of turn over, unless your very fortunate or taking to armed robbery between making little latex doggies. (this I would not recommend)
Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24064 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2014, Paddy wrote:
A certain member, who will remain nameless but his initials are DYNAMIKE, did a sidewalk show at the White House Easter Egg roll then claimed he worked the White House.

Quit lieing Paddy. I admitted it was the White House Easter Egg Roll. I never claimed I worked the White House. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=32
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Nice photos Mike.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24064 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks Mario.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Mario, you're right about balloons being very seasonal. Haven't been out for about2 1/2 monthes and looks like it will be April or May before I hit the streets again Smile

Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
556 Posts

Profile of Mortimer Graves
I've crashed festivals, farmer's markets, even street parties and other semi-private events.

At smaller events, they usually end up thanking me for being there, because I add to the fun. Then they tell me when the next one is, and ask me to come. I've even been offered payment for it.

I've also used Cellini's advice before, and explained to people in charge that I was offering them something that wouldn't cost them a dime, and all I ask is that I be allowed to pass my hat after the show. This usually sounds great to them, because free is always in their budget. And 20-30 shows later, I've got what I came for, so hey, everyone's happy.

It also helps if any vendors near you hear you telling everyone to be sure to visit the vendor's booths and support local business. If they know you're not out to take it all for yourself, and are freely advertising them, they usually relax a bit. I'll even take a break from performing and buy things now and then from them, just to let them know I think they're cool and want to support them in what they do. Psychology does the rest, thank you, Dale Carnegie!

In my experience, it all comes down to whether they like you or not.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

Hastur, Hastur, Hastur! See? Nothing hap-

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2699 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Well, I'm happy for you Mort. I'm glad it worked for you. I still think it's bad form.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Ed that's your WalMart mentality showing. A busker lives with the adage that "it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission." I've set up a couple of times at farmers markets and been told they didn't want me until I explained that my being there would attract families for the entertainment.

inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
450 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
The best rewards come to those who take risks. Live free, do what you want and harm no one (unless you have to). If you're worth your salt, crash away if you need the work. Better to book and get paid as others have said, but don't rule out crashing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Festival "Crashing" (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL