The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » David blaine on ellen's special tonight @ 9PM on TBS (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Quote:
On 2009-06-30 15:36, Heres Tony wrote:
Name one magician that doesn't stand on the shoulders of greater magicians.



The first magician. That's one.

And anyway I'm talking about the fact that he and those like him rely on others to create effects and stunt ideas FOR them. As they are to un-talented to do so themselves.

Why should he care if he exposes something that others may use to make a living. He can just have one of his cronies think up other things for him.

Blaine is just a face.

V.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2009-06-30 23:24, Voldemort wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-30 15:36, Heres Tony wrote:
Name one magician that doesn't stand on the shoulders of greater magicians.



The first magician. That's one.

And anyway I'm talking about the fact that he and those like him rely on others to create effects and stunt ideas FOR them. As they are to un-talented to do so themselves.

Why should he care if he exposes something that others may use to make a living. He can just have one of his cronies think up other things for him.

Blaine is just a face.

V.


David Copperfield has a whole team working for him. So do many of today's top magicians. So did great magicians past.

"Blaine is just a face..."

Aren't we all "just faces?" When we are hired to perform is it because we have a really great pass, or can do a cool new trick that we invented that no other magician has ever done?

Are you telling me that every single effect you perform is completely original to you?

I think we all take what great magicians have contributed to the magic community over many years, and present it with our own style. And by "we all" I don't just mean us here on the Café. I mean all magicians.
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Your missing the point here.

In the first place, You assume that David Blaine is a magician. He is not. He is an actor who plays a magician. We as magicians regard our art as seperate from the art of acting but still employ it. Do you consider yourself an actor? Or a magician. That, I think, makes quite a bit of difference.

Second, Do you get a kick out of exposing effects at your shows? Effects that, because you are an actor and think of yourself as better that those "Regular" magicians who do kiddie shows, You have total disregard for? If you were on a TV show would you expose effects for no other reason than to make yourself seem "Bigger" than those who do those silly little effects?

Its alright though. The next time someone asks me, "Hey! Do you know how that David Blaine guy does that one trick?" I'm going to say "Yep. Camera tricks and stooges".

Remember Tom Mullica? Remember what happened to him? Why is Blaine better? Hes not. Mullica was 100 times the magician Blaine is. But here people sit, Defending him.

Sad.

V.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Firstly, embrace the contraction.

I am not missing the point. Exposure is bad.

In fact, I disagree with false exposure, which many famous respected magicians use in their acts! "I'm going to teach you how this works..." Dai Vernon himself did it in cups and balls. "You see, I only pretend to place the ball in my pocket" An audience doesn't need the real secret for the effect of magic to be ruined, any explanation will satisfy, even a false one.

I am merely replying to points that you have made that I disagree with.

Didn't the great Robert Houdin say "A conjuror is not a juggler; he is an actor playing the part of a magician, an artist whose fingers have more need to move with deftness than with speed"

Are you saying that you are not an actor, but rather a true genuine magician?

Magic is acting. We have to act as if the tom-foolery we do is real magic.

I'm not saying you should like David Blaine, his magic, or his style, but what you claim to dislike about him is true for most of the magic community.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
In my opinion, there's very little to which to compare magic exposure. Magic consists primarily of secrets and "moves". The "moves" require skill and practice to perform. The "moves" part is like composing music or playing football. You can know the names of the notes, but that doesn't make you a good composer. You have to have talent and imagination. You can know all the rules of football, but that doesn't make you a good football player. You have to have some ability and determination to succeed.

The "secret" is what makes magic different from those things mentioned above. The only thing that I can think of that comes close is this: Let's say that you know something about an acquaintance that, if it became general knowledge, would ruin his life and his career. He confided in you because he really needed a shoulder to lean on during a difficult situation. He trusted you with the information. Is his secret now yours to tell to the world?

It's not a matter of whether Blaine (or anyone else, for that matter) CAN share secrets, regardless of how innocuous they may seem to be. It's more a matter of whether he has the RIGHT to do this without the "blessings" of those for whom this exposure could present a hardship. Now, had he invented the dancing and vanishing/appearing canes, maybe they would have been his to expose as he saw fit.

When there are so many good, simple tricks out there that he could have taught her and the audience, why do this? It's like a newspaper printing a blatantly sensationalized story simply because they couldn't craft a memorable story any other way...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2552 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Voldemort: ALL magicians are actors playing magicians...
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2342 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-07-01 19:30, Jerskin wrote:
Voldemort: ALL magicians are actors playing magicians...


Not ALL magicians are actors. Some are con men. Smile
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On 2009-06-29 14:12, Jerskin wrote:
Agreed but both effects never fooled anyone in the first place.
Except the guy who hired Peter Pitt.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2009-06-30 16:22, Jerskin wrote:
If you're still using a cane in your act in 2009 you've got bigger problems than exposure.



Tell that to Jeff McBride, 'cause it seems he's got a double trouble as his new stage opener (:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f90oAY8FTSI
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » David blaine on ellen's special tonight @ 9PM on TBS (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL