The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » David Regal's New "Plumber's Helper" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Tried a couple of times to view the video...but there seems to be a problem with the it on Youtube right now....I'll try again later...

Ken
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
730 Posts

Profile of David Regal
I went to YouTube - it's playing:

Plumber's Helper
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Yup..check again tonight and it's playing...

Awesome!

Kwn
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
730 Posts

Profile of David Regal
I was sent an email from someone that alarmed me, as I'm afraid I might not have been absolutely clear. Here is the email:

Hi David,
Your Plumbers Helper looks great!
However, I am a bit confused about the necessary set-up. In your description, it says you need a real faucet water supply system, not just a well.
Then you also mention it is self-contained and nothing attached to it or your body.
So I guess my question is that the water that comes out at the end of the routine, is it self-contained IN the prop, or do you need a hose connected to a faucet somewhere?? Or is the faucet connection to be used BEFORE the show to fill up a water well IN the prop?? I can't imagine a hose going to a real water supply faucet off stage connected to the stage?? Thanks for your help.

To clarify, Plumber's Helper is self-contained. One needs a faucet of some type simply to set it for a performance. Then it is ready to go, and can be tossed in the backseat of a car, etc. Nothing is attached to the performer at any time.

The run was of 36 pieces. More may be made in the future but that is far from my mind as I am just now recuperating from this run! I kept one unit for myself, and over half of the remaining units have been sold.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1336 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I like it!

And that is saying a lot from a hard core Chinese Stick man. I have about 100 sets of Chinese Sticks. I have one set of Histed sticks I made in the 80's. After seeing it one time I figured it out. So I really was never that excited about Histed sticks and their variations.

I like this! It looks like something I can use! My order is already in!

ACE
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3733 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
David,

That email was hilarious. Great way to perform, keeping that hose hooked up throughout the performance AND managing to keep it hidden! That's the magic part.

Steve
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
730 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Hey, it wasn't his fault - I needed to be more clear.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1336 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
When I first read the description, I was confused about needing a water source. With all the claims in advertising, why can't you hook up a hose and hide it?
But I read further, and watched the video, and it was all clear. This is something that looks practical and can be a performance piece.
Mine is on the way! Thanks! I will try to put it in some of my summer camp shows before the summer is over!

ACE
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Hold on, David. Now, you say it's self-contained. Therefore, since the water source is your self, how do you hide the hose that goes from you to the Plumber's Helper? How long of a hose must I have, anyway? I'm really sorry, but I'm afraid this effect is too physically demanding for me to consider buying it.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3733 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Big boxer shorts.

Steve
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
730 Posts

Profile of David Regal
All right guys...not everyone will know you are joking, and as I put my blood into this thing, let me be clear:

THIS IS SELF-CONTAINED

In performance there is nothing...no hose...no hollow leg...NOTHING but the Plumber's Helper doing what it does.

IN FACT...

You could put the entire Plumber's Helper into a spectator's hand at the beginning of the routine, tell him what to do at every stage, and it will work for him! I don't recommend this as a method of performance - I'm just making a point.

Yikes.

Dudes....
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1336 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
If one watches the video demo and reads the entire description it should be obvious that this is completely self contained and a great stand up performance piece.

Since I never use tables, this is perfect for my style.

I will spend a couple of days rehearsing and put it right into the act. I have 2 shows a day until the end of the summer, so I plan on soaking down some kids!

ACE Smile
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3733 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
If my friend ACE says it's good...it's a good workable effect!

Steve
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1336 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I'm already thinking of ideas, such as the wizard hat to plunger...I might put it on the helpers head and have them hold an old bucket for the water...
I also juggle plungers...
I see a theme here...

ACE
mrmental2003
View Profile
New user
USA
21 Posts

Profile of mrmental2003
This is a brilliant idea.
Wow, what a wonderful take on an old, worn out classic.
This is something adults and family audiences can and will enjoy.
Well done David!!!!!!
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2441 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2009-07-04 22:54, mrmental2003 wrote:
This is a brilliant idea.
Wow, what a wonderful take on an old, worn out classic.
This is something adults and family audiences can and will enjoy.
Well done David!!!!!!

hold on. what part is a brilliant idea? the water coming out? if so, yep brilliant.
being made of plumbing parts?.......
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you go to http://www.stevensmagic.com and look for "Pluber's Poles" you will find my trick for very little money. You get all but the water ending. Which I would have had but didn't want to run the cost up. You should see the prototypes in my shop.

Here's a link and video. (Oh, and it is only $47.50)

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1563
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
You could use the old clown bucket to catch the water, then it looks like you throw the water into the audience but confetti comes out.
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
642 Posts

Profile of Winks
And, Pete, if you had added the water aspect, then the cost would have been higher (maybe around $300); but, the trick would have been so much better and I would have been inclined to buy it as I have with David's. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. Your post smacks too much of sour grapes.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2441 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2009-07-05 14:20, Winks wrote:
And, Pete, if you had added the water aspect, then the cost would have been higher (maybe around $300); but, the trick would have been so much better and I would have been inclined to buy it as I have with David's. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. Your post smacks too much of sour grapes.

Whoa there... this is Pete's first post on this topic and I am surprised. Pete had the plumbing parts idea ages ago. David is a great guy, and maybe he never heard of Pete's version. I don't like the thought of people thinking David was the first person to use plumbing parts. The water coming out part, fine.

Pete hasn't said a word about any lack of mention of his idea or asking for credit.

s
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » David Regal's New "Plumber's Helper" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL