The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » David Regal's New "Plumber's Helper" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
As I have calmed down, I suddenly realize that this might spark a sale of my Plumber's Sticks, at under $50.00 You want water? Palm a syringe. (Hey, I think I'll start doing that!)
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
728 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Quote:
On 2009-06-29 11:30, David Regal wrote:
You are all very kind. To give credit where credit is due, the action of the "stick" is an invention of Louis Histed. Terry Seabrooke had the idea of adding plumbing fixtures to Chinese Sticks, and Pete Biro then added them to the Histed "Pom Pom" Sticks. I was always amazed by the basic principle of Histed's, but felt it was a better prop than effect as it had no real conclusion. It generally ended with the performer saying "I can't figure it out either..." and sort of fell off the table.

So I worked on a way to end the trick as I do in the demo (and I discovered that Mike Caveney, who was very supportive of my efforts, developed an enormously different way to do the same thing with Seabrooke's Chinese Sticks). Obviously I incorporated additional workings along with the original Histed idea. The final result is a prop that is self-contained and very practical. There are additional facts about it on my website.

Thanks again.

David

I wrote the above in this same thread, so I am surprised, Pete, that you feel uncredited. I just sent you a personal email, as well. I wrote a cover story on you for Genii, Pete, so you know that I think the best of you.

As for your saying, essentially, that you could have given this effect - an effect sorely in need of an ending, harmed by a lack of an ending, weakened by a lack of an ending - the very same ending that I have worked out had you wanted to...well, I guess I wanted to more than you did. That was a judgment call on your part and my part...but to discount an original mechanism (as opposed to a cosmetic change) that I devised after many months of trial and error, and a prototype that cost me well over a thousand dollars, a mechanism that you have never seen...that seems unnecessary.

I remain a fan of your contributions not only to this plot, but many others as well!

All the best,

David
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1190 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
Hi Guys,

I had an idea for this effect that I shared with David and he gave me permission to share it with you. On the opposite side of the pole from the faucet, you create a chamber where you can pour water in and fill it with s***h p****r. (make sure this is accessible later) Perform the effect as on the video filling the opposite side with water to start. The audience will think the water is what is making it work. At the end when you open the tube it will look like the water vanished. Now you turn on the faucet with the pole separated or reassembled depending on preference to show the water has magically reappeared.

Just food for thought.
Max
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Ah, Pete, being of the staunch political persuasion that he is, sees nothing wrong in fanning the icy cold winds of c o m p e t I t I o n.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
David. Yes we have been and still are good friends.

I was just initially shocked when I saw your prop.

To tighten up the crediting a bit. Seabrooke put styrofoam stoppers on his Chinese Sticks. No plumber's parts. My add to his idea, which we discussed was to add the faucets to Chinese sticks. Then I felt that the sticks were NO GOOD for the effect with "real" stoppers owing to their weight.

So I made a set of "Histed" Sticks with parts from Home Depot and the first few had real faucets, but I didn't like them due to the weight and switched to the plastic "Phoney Faucets." I had a set with water in one (they are hollow) and it didn't seem to play enough better to warrant adding the water. I got a lot out of the routine and had an ending, based on premise/patter.

I would like to have been shown your set before you marketed it and I assumed you would have asked, "Is it OK with you?" And I would have said, "YES IT IS A GREAT IDEA." Which it is. And again, as I said above, "Maybe this will spur an increase in sales of mine."

I hope you do well with yours.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
728 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Pete - your incorporating plumber's parts into the Histed sticks was a great addition - it actually gave the thing a reason for being!

I want to be repeat that Mike Caveney came up with his own, different, method of making water come out of the plumbing version of the Chinese sticks long before I made Plumber's Helper. In fact, it was he who made it very clear to me, when I discussed my ambition, that the water had to be under pressure to "hit" hard, make it look the way it should look, and act as a climax. I was actually on the phone with Mike when the basic method for Plumber's Helper's occurred to me. I then began experimentation with a grand variety of materials.

I'm not certain, but something tells me that Pete Biro's version of the Histed sticks, without the Plumber's Helper climax, can be purchased for under $50 from Steven's Magic Emporium where a video demo can also be seen:

Hmmm...could this be it (click)?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Two part question. First can I do this with rootbeer? If so how do I get rootbeer into my hose and why would I want to do it with rootbeer in the first place? Another issue, with peanut allergies killing off kids all over the world would it be wise not to produce peanut butter from the faucet?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Well, I would suggest Yogurt... it's healthier.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1336 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I used to have one of those plastic faucets with elastic that you put around someones head, and when you turned it on, water came out. I don't remember where I got it, and I sold it years ago. I don't know if this is still availabe. This is the first thing I thought of when I read about David's Plumber's Helper.
Maybe this faucet could be put on the end of Pete's Plumers Pole. It is not under high pressure, but it is self contained and pours out some water.

ACE
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
Then a good finish would use a snake or some sort of roter rooter. Maybe after peanut butter or yogurt you would need to pour in Draino.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Yes you could use the water but I don't feel it adds to MY ROUTINE. I didn't want set up time, need for water, and any mess. I used mine on TV shows, Comedy Clubs, conventions, lecures, etc. and never found any need to add to my routine.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1336 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I see what you mean Pete. In your case, why fix something that is not broken.

ACE
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
728 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Caveney was right. The pressure is everything. I'm not kidding. We all know what water does when we turn on a faucet. To see anything other does not amaze, it subtracts.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I can see the Three Stooges killing with this.

Posted: Jul 7, 2009 5:16pm
Yikes... just got an order for 8 sets of Plumber's Sticks from Joe Stevens. To work.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
728 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Pete...God bless you...but fella, this is bad etiquette. Start your own thread instead of hijacking mine!
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
728 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Of the 36 Plumber's Helpers from this run, as of today four remain for sale.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4190 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
The one heading for NYC is mine. Thanks David.
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
I'd say we're seeing one of the uglier, lower class sides of free market competition happening here. Sad.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
728 Posts

Profile of David Regal
I'm trying to be a gentleman...I think so, anyway.
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
642 Posts

Profile of Winks
I said it way back that Pete is having a real case of sour grapes. He needs to grow up. I don't care how big a smella he thinks he is here, he is acting like a spoiled child. David won't say it - he's too much of a gentleman - but someone has. Pete is waaaaaay out of line.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » David Regal's New "Plumber's Helper" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL