The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Pet Secrets by Al Baker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1921 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Can anyone on this forum tell me why this book is going for collectors prices, $125.00 - $300.00. I am not complaining as I have the book, but fail to see where they arrive at the value.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
The short answer is: because there are people out there willing to pay those prices.

Most of the Baker books have been out of print for some time and difficult to obtain. With the recent publication (a year or so ago) of the big Al Baker compilation book, the earlier smaller tomes' value dropped somewhat. But collectors are still collectors. I would imagine the prices you mentioned are for a first edition pristine copy.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Gee, what kind of secrets would Al Baker's pets have, anyway? "Where's the litter box?" or "When will I be fed?" perhaps?

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet, who really spends too much time thinking about these things.
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1921 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Scott,
My edition states,
Copyright 1951 by Al Baker
Second edition November 1951
Carl W. Jones, Publisher

DeLuxe Autograph Edition May 1951
Out of print

So I would assume it IS NOT a 1st edition, but most I see listed state, Copyright 1951, none state 1st edition. So who knows. Saw a couple listed on Add-All Books for $485.00, crazy....
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
The autograph would certainly add value.

But I'm with you--no way I'd pay that kind of money.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Pet Secrets by Al Baker (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL