The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Egg suggestions for silk to egg? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I'm looking to buy a better gaffed egg for my silk to egg routine...the one I'm using was about three bucks and only has a small load space because it can be opened and the other half can contain a small load. I know there are several out there...any thoughts on the best one?
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I would contact Bob Sanders and get the eggs he sells. In my opinion they are the best eggs I have seen and used. my 2 cents.....
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1700 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Viking Magic have a top ceramic resin egg as well as the full routine.

Working myself in the corporate market for many years using this effect I use the following & they have lasted through hundreds of shows & travel- I can recommend these.

I have spares as well but not used yet.

Check the link:
http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=482

Cheers
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Thanks Brent! They're sold out at the moment - must be a good item! I'll keep an eye out for them to come back in stock.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
Go with the Bob Sanders eggs. They are perfect.
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
Ted Squires
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Ted Squires
Quote:
On 2009-07-02 03:06, Brent McLeod wrote:
Viking Magic have a top ceramic resin egg as well as the full routine

Actually the Viking egg is a resin egg, not a ceramic resin, which would imply it was made from two different materials. Their eggs used to be ceramic. Very real looking, you just didn't want to drop it. The egg they have now, which is 100% resin in a great egg.

I know there are some pros, like Whit Haydn who use the Tirofog Egg:

http://tirofog.com/osc/product_info.php?......s_id=104

These are real eggs that have an inner coating which makes them very strong.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Cool resource - thanks!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
And then there are the "Do-It-Yourselfers" like me who, after a nice breakfast of scrambled eggs, wash out the carefully punctured egg shells and coat the insides with a thin coat of white glue. Once that has dried, the side hole may then be cut larger in each egg. In the old days, this was called cheap and miserly. Today, it is called recycling; a much better name, don't you think?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
We have people who take our ceramic egg gimmick and coat the inside with poly urethane, etc. to give strength against breakage. I've never tried it. But those who do claim it is worth the effort.

I use them several times a week and have broken two in about 40 years. One was in a briefcase loaded with books and did not crush the books when the case was forced closed. The other fell on concrete in the parking lot and failed to damage the concrete. They are reasonably tough anyway.

Otherwise, I have reason to believe that the dry cleaners must eat them along with Scotch & Soda and TTs.

A fake that doesn't pass as real is not really a very good fake no matter how long it lasts. As those of you who have seen me work know, I hand the "egg" to the spectator and it is accepted as a real egg. They treat it like it will indeed break!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Since I do the teaching method of silk to egg, I'm not overly concerned with something that looks 100% real. I don't specifically say that it's a fake egg when I get to that point of the routine, but in pointing out the hole I'm sure people are aware something is amiss Smile The egg I'm using now was about six bucks at the store and came with a small silk, and in my rehearsal videos I can't tell the difference between the fake egg and the real one. My main issue has been the load size; because the egg opens in the middle, I'm not able to fit a silk into the egg that's as large as I would like. An egg with that can take a larger silk, yet still looks close enough to the real thing is what I've been hunting for.
I've heard talk about wooden ones - any thoughts on those?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The reason I use the ceramic eggs from China is because I have owned the plastic ones.

I do Walk-Around Silk to Egg and actually place "eggs" in the spectator's hand. It is very important at that range that it emulate a real egg.

If you perform this with a plastic egg on TV the zoom lens will give you away either due to shine or color-bleed. You are safe with the ceramic egg.

Frankly there isn't much difference in costs.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- For Back-of-Room sales, unfortunately, the props usually expose the trick but don't supply props a pro could use to perform it professionally. For BOR sales price and markup are everything.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Pardon my ignorance...just unfamiliar with the term "Back-of-Room sales." I'm picturing two guys in suits in the back room of a sketchy Italian restaurant somewhere, one with a briefcase full of cash, exchanging it for a set of linking rings or maybe some flower productions. I'm guessing that's not quite what it means though Smile
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5700 Posts

Profile of Regan
Andrew, Bob has the best eggs I have ever used!
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2009-07-06 03:42, Andrewzuber wrote:
Pardon my ignorance...just unfamiliar with the term "Back-of-Room sales." I'm picturing two guys in suits in the back room of a sketchy Italian restaurant somewhere, one with a briefcase full of cash, exchanging it for a set of linking rings or maybe some flower productions. I'm guessing that's not quite what it means though Smile

LOL! Good one!

Back-of-Room sales is the way many performers enhance the revenues from performances. They sell magic tricks, kits, books, photos, etc. to the audience after the show. Unfortunately, the quality is frequently poor but the markups very high. Of course, there are also some that sell higher end products.

The term "slum magic" is even appropriate at times. There are wholesalers who make no bones about selling "slum magic" for BOR resale.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Regan,

Thank you very much for the support on DoveLite Silks props for Silk to Egg and the Walk-Around Silk to Egg. We ship them to professionals all over the world. I don't import or sell props that I don't use in my shows. The quality has to be good enough for my shows first. (And I have dropped products when they didn't measure up to professional standards.) I never want a performing magician to have to be embarrassed or apologize for using DoveLite Silk props.

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5700 Posts

Profile of Regan
Bob, you are welcome! I have a lot of your products and I do not have the first complaint about any of them! Only high praise! I would not say it if I didn't mean it. I am hoping to contact you very soon with another order. A customer that keeps coming back must be happy!

Regan
Mister Mystery
boboshempy
View Profile
Veteran user
Jersey
374 Posts

Profile of boboshempy
Bob's eggs are the best! I have two sets of the Walk-Around Silk to Egg and they are amazing.

We are not talking about breaking the bank here...if you are undecided on which type to buy just buy them all.

Nick
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I agree with all of those who recommend Bob's egg. It looks realistic.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Mike,

Next week in Colon, remember to ask me about a cloth Egg Dropper. For the sucker Silk to Egg it will simplify your life!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Ok, Bob, I will not forget.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Bob: I will see you in Colon next week and we can talk silk magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Egg suggestions for silk to egg? (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL