We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Percilla - very nice portrait (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2434 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
HERE it is ... lovely.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I like it!
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Good drawing, but isn't it straight off one of her banners?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
It was from a pitch card.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
It looks like a photo that has been through a photoshop filter. Smile
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yes, and he's calling it original (and commissioned). He's doing derivative art, and selling it as his.

I was researching derivative art and copyright infringement on the web. The webmasters with whom I had contact, said that it's generally looked at as ok, but not where it becomes a product for sale, nor where the derivative interferes with the ability of the originator to sell originals.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Yes, this is from a pitch card as Todd says! I like it!! I had the pitch card from the 60's , I have no longer have it. I remember seeing Percilla and Emmett on the Gooding million Dollar midways.

She was eating french fries and had a small record player playing Johnny Maddox Ragtime Piano music on it haha She had two rows of teeth. Her husband Emmett had a skin condition on his back that had big hard squares of flesh that if dried out, would crack open and bleed, he had to keep his back oiled down all the time to keep those squares softened. I like this color enhanced photo..my old pitch card was black and white.

Does anyone rememeber Pete Moore the world's smallest man? and Grady Stiles Lobster Boy? One year I recall all of them were set up side by side at the Saginaw Michigan County fair in the 60's., with Gooding Amusements. I still have the pitch card from Grady Stiles.

On the day I saw the show, not only was Grady there, but Grady's dad was there tending to the tent etc, also right beside Grady, was a little baby bed and there was his little daughter, just a few months old.. laying there with tiny baby claw hands..WOW! I have never forgotten that experience, it is still as clear to me as if it was only yesterday. Those were the glory days of the sideshow.

ROD
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1137 Posts

Profile of reese
It's not photo-shopped. Friedman's drawings are incredibly labor-intensive.
A friend of his described his modus operandi and photoshop is not what he does.
He actually drew this image while looking at the pitchcard, just like R.Crumb drawing pictures of bluesman using photos. It's still art.
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
I belive its Not Percilla, But rather Kareem Abdul-Jabbar...Photo shopped...

Click here to view attached image.
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA JIM I LOVE IT HAHAHAHAHAHA
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1137 Posts

Profile of reese
If you click on his prints for sale at that site, you'll see a cool drawing of Schlitzie.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I will have to let Johnny know about that. That is too funny.

Quote:
On 2009-07-02 11:36, Magicman97 wrote:

She was eating french fries and had a small record player playing Johnny Maddox Ragtime Piano music on it haha

Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
TODD:

JOHNNY MADDOX IS STILL THE BEST. Years ago, he would play an old upright piano tied down to the back of a pick up truck. He played rodeos, fairs, and auto race tracks, circling the track between races. I still have several old 331/3 records of his. He was my mentor when I was growing up learning to play.

Yes, Percilla and Emmett would let the tip build INSIDE the tent( no outside bally), except a grind tape. And it was not a continuous grind show. So while the tip was building, she played the records, until the lecture started. FUNNY!

ROD
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2434 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Notice how much this picture mimics the lovely texture of the old stone-lithograph circus posters.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Look at his terrific portrait of Dean Martin. Really fine work.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
And Don't forget the True Showman, Screamin' Jay Hawkins.... I have an idea using some of his songs as a background track to my museum.... I have played a variety of stuff in the past and am now working on a voodoo theme... Screamin' Jay fits the bill
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Screamin' Jay is incredible! Sylver does her fire eating routine to his version of "I put a spell on you".
Hopefully we'll get a chance to see your museum sometime and see how he works for you.
Gwyd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Percilla - very nice portrait (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL