The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Which book to buy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bkp007
View Profile
New user
Longview, Texas
63 Posts

Profile of bkp007
If you had NONE of these books and you could only buy ONE right now, which would you pick?

carneycopia
complete works of derek dingle
concertos for pasteboards
drawing room deceptions
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6467 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
That's a tough one. For sheer volume of effects and variety I would go with Derek Dingle then followed by Carneycopia.

Drawing Room Deceptions is very good too and has some interesting ideas. I never read Concertos so I can't comment.

If I had to choose I'd go with Dingle's book because you get cards and coins and some effects that work for close up, parlor and stage.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I have had all of those books in my library. While I appreciated the thinking in Hollingsworth's, most of the material in it didn't suit me, so I sold it.

The Dingle and Carney books are almost even on my list, though if you are looking for a bit more theory and the thinking behind the material, Carney wins out for me. As Greg said, for sheer volume of effects and variety, go with Dingle.

Concertos is also an excellent book, but I would place it third on this list.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
I've not read the Hollingworth book but of the other three my order of preference would be ...

1) CARNEYCOPIA: A large collection of varied (not just cards) and workable material. These read like routines that John has created to actually perform rather than just to publish.
2) CONCERTOS: Concertos for Pasteboards is IMO a really underated book. I put it 2nd because it's all cards and contains less effects than the Carneycopia - but there are some teriffic original card routines in here that are different from the norm and really appeal to me.
3) DINGLE: It's probably just because some creator's material will always appeal to me more than others - but the Dingle book has never been one of my favourites. Dingle himself, apparently, didn't use much of this material when performing for laymen, and I've performed far less material from the Dingle book than from either of the other two.
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
I'd pick the Dingle book.
Of course, this could be a generational thing, as this book was one of the first relatively "heavy card books" I purchased when it first came out.
The Dingle book's work on the pass is invaluable. Three, four or more effects from that book have been a part of my work for years.
Kakuna
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Kakuna
Get Strong Magic. It's the best book you'll ever buy. It makes a huge difference in the way others will react to your magic.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3139 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2009-07-02 20:25, bkp007 wrote:
If you had NONE of these books and you could only buy ONE right now, which would you pick?

carneycopia
drawing room deceptions

The list feels arbitrary. What are your needs?
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4456 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2009-07-02 20:25, bkp007 wrote:

carneycopia
drawing room deceptions

Why the question? Is this the situation you currently find yourself in? Enough money to buy just one of these??

I have all four of these, and have read through them several times...but it all depends what you want out of it all, as they are all completely different from each other. Carneycopia is a mix of cards, coins and other close up items like his Cylinder and coins amongst other things. Dingles book is Cards and coins, both Concertos and Drawing rooms deceptions are all card material.

Concertos is also a mix of various creators, so if you want to learn thoughts and routines from an array of different Magicians, get this. If you want to learn intense Card material that requires a lot of practice and skill, get Drawing room deceptions. If you want a lot of strong and classic pieces of Magic that require a bit of work but contains some classics that have inspired modern works, get Dingles book. And if you want a collection of great close up tricks that cover a whole range of close up effects, including some thought provoking essays, get Carneycopia. I couldn't compare any of them to each other.

If I was to pick having read them, it would be:
1) Complete work of Derek Dingle
2) Carneycopia
3) Drawing room Deceptions
4) Concertos for Pasteboards
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Which book to buy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL