The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Ellusionist decks (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Shortelz
View Profile
Regular user
I am proud of my
132 Posts

Profile of Shortelz
Hey guys I have a chance to get ellusionist decks. I really badly want the shadow master but I will
ask you guys first. Should I get ellusionist decks? If so what's the best
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Sounds good... Whatever you think.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Depends which is more important, having 14 year old "street magicians" think you're cool, or having spectators wonder where you got your fancy cards. "Oh, you got them at a website that sells magic stuff huh, they're probably trick cards because I've never seen anything like that."
Shortelz
View Profile
Regular user
I am proud of my
132 Posts

Profile of Shortelz
Hmmm do they handle any better then just regular bikes?
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Quote:
On 2009-07-03 01:39, pepka wrote:
Depends which is more important, having 14 year old "street magicians" think you're cool, or having spectators wonder where you got your fancy cards. "Oh, you got them at a website that sells magic stuff huh, they're probably trick cards because I've never seen anything like that."

Well said.
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
I like the design of their decks, but only as collectibles and I have some of them for personal pleasure. But I almost never use them while performing. I sometimes used the black ones, a couple of years ago, because I really liked them, but the spectators had too much problems in identifying the values because of the low contrast of the red against the black, so I stopped using them and went back to normal decks.

Dave
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Buy all you want, it's your prerogative for being born in the USA & having money to burn. Eventually you will discard them as collectibles and return to regular cheaper "run of the mill" Bikes Smile

Dave more or less summed it up with the fact that the black Tigers are difficult to indentify the values and suits.

If you decide to buy some E decks just stick to the traditional faces...

Have fun!

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Quote:
On 2009-07-03 01:39, pepka wrote:

I will third this post! Good post Pepka.
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17160 Posts

Profile of joseph
Maybe the Ghost deck around Halloween time...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2009-07-03 02:05, Shortelz wrote:

Guess what? Here's the clincher...all decks from "E" are manufactured by the same company that produces Bicycles, Bees, Tally Hos, Arrcos, Aviators, Hoyle and more.

They basically all handle the same IMHO...

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
I almost forgot: I cannot use anymore my Black Tiger deck because I forgot it exposed to the sun during a very hot summer day, and all the cards magically curved and deformed for the heat. So now I cannot use them anymore even if I would.
But I turned one of them into an origami cork for wine bottles. It's pretty cool Smile

Dave
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2009-07-03 06:46, DomKabala wrote:
Quote:

Guess what? Here's the clincher...all decks from "E" are manufactured by the same company that produces Bicycles, Bees, Tally Hos, Arrcos, Aviators, Hoyle and more.

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile

Not really!

Black Tigers, and actually all black decks are stiffer on the first dealing hours than other decks. The Tally-Ho VIper is absurdly stiff and takes a really long time to actually break-in to a usable level.

All the black ink they use has many downsides. Like's been said, they warp often, especially under heat. After not so long their borders start getting white and there is no "sharpie treatment" that is gonna' save you. Their stock is not as lasting as the good ol' 808, so... stick to black decks as collectibles.

As for other decks:

Ghost - AWESOME finish, handle great out of the box and after a little breaking in and powder they will feel heavenly (pun intended). They are good looking and very elegant, they won't cause as much "what-the-hell'ness" on layman as a black deck would and their finish and overall feeling is awesome for anything a good deck of cards shall be.

The downside of the Ghost deck? Other than the somewhat high price, the fact that they will get dirty as fast as they will get you addicted to them. Other than that, I highly recommend you the Ghosts, especially if you handle night clubs. Funy thing is, they look as great on a club (The predominace of the white color both on the faces and backs has a really trendy look under black light) asthey look on a fancy, corporate cocktail (Don't they look expensive and fancy? [on a good manner!]).

That being said, the Ghost deck is GREAT. But save it for $pecial occasions (:

All their feeling and quality, you'll find on the Master's Deck (Regular, not Shadow obviously), which has the very same stock and finish, handle just as fine and feel just as smooth.

---

Bottomline is:

Black Tiger, Shadow Master - Use as acollectible;
Black Ghost - Use as a fancier collectible (:
Tally-Ho Viper - Use as card shooting ammo. With caution. They seriously hurt.
Ghost - Use it for clubs and fancy parties;
Master's Edition - USE IT!

Hope that clears a bit your thoughts Smile
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
Quote:
On 2009-07-03 05:46, Roland78 wrote:
I have some of them for personal pleasure.

I think this post raises a whole new set of questions! Smile
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
Shortelz
View Profile
Regular user
I am proud of my
132 Posts

Profile of Shortelz
Smile I'm canadian! But I'm on holiday in Fargo heading to badlands. If anyone lives around here do they know of any great magic shops?

Quote:
On 2009-07-03 06:32, DomKabala wrote:
Buy all you want, it's your prerogative for being born in the USA & having money to burn. Eventually you will discard them as collectibles and return to regular cheaper "run of the mill" Bikes Smile

Dave more or less summed it up with the fact that the black Tigers are difficult to indentify the values and suits.

If you decide to buy some E decks just stick to the traditional faces...

Have fun!

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
E decks, theory 11 decks, all hype. they are just cards. stick with the normal stuff. Again pep got it right.

of any of them, masters are pretty nice, though I doubt many people could tell the difference on feel alone.

(of course, since I have about 480 in my collection, I have every deck mentioned... but I never let anyone see them..)
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2009-07-03 07:34, Fábio DeRose wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-03 06:46, DomKabala wrote:
Quote:

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile

Not really!

Black Tigers, and actually all black decks are stiffer on the first dealing hours than other decks. The Tally-Ho VIper is absurdly stiff and takes a really long time to actually break-in to a usable level.

All the black ink they use has many downsides. Like's been said, they warp often, especially under heat. After not so long their borders start getting white and there is no "sharpie treatment" that is gonna' save you. Their stock is not as lasting as the good ol' 808, so... stick to black decks as collectibles.

As for other decks:

Ghost - AWESOME finish, handle great out of the box and after a little breaking in and powder they will feel heavenly (pun intended). They are good looking and very elegant, they won't cause as much "what-the-hell'ness" on layman as a black deck would and their finish and overall feeling is awesome for anything a good deck of cards shall be.

The downside of the Ghost deck? Other than the somewhat high price, the fact that they will get dirty as fast as they will get you addicted to them. Other than that, I highly recommend you the Ghosts, especially if you handle night clubs. Funy thing is, they look as great on a club (The predominace of the white color both on the faces and backs has a really trendy look under black light) asthey look on a fancy, corporate cocktail (Don't they look expensive and fancy? [on a good manner!]).

That being said, the Ghost deck is GREAT. But save it for $pecial occasions (:

All their feeling and quality, you'll find on the Master's Deck (Regular, not Shadow obviously), which has the very same stock and finish, handle just as fine and feel just as smooth.

---

Bottomline is:

Your thoughts are just that...opinions and not fact...didn't I state that "They basically all handle the same IMHO"? IMHO-(In My Humble Opinion).

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Quote:
On 2009-07-03 07:34, Fábio DeRose wrote:

The real bottom line is:

Black Tiger, Shadow Master, Black ghost, Tally-Ho Viper, Ghost- Buy one of each as a collectible. (If you collect cards. I do and have all of them).
Master's Edition - GARBAGE. Don't even bother.

Hope that clears a bit YOUR thoughts... Whatever the hell that means.

V.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
@Dom

I am not, by any means, stating that my opinions are plain facts. That is just what I think about those particular decks based on my own experiences and experimentations throughout the years.

I apologize if I seemed rude to you, for that was not at all my intent.

And I also want to make it clear that by the way you stated your personal opinion, it seemed that you think that Aviators and 808's handle the same (for example) just because USPCC produces both, which is not true. I might have mistakenly read, but that is what it seemed to me. Again, I was not trying by any means to prove you wrong, but only not fully agreeing with you.

---

@Voldemort:

Mind to share with us deeper opinions on why do you think that the Masters and the Ghosts are "garbage"? I've put a decent effot into making clear points, and I think you could use some more profound argumentation, too.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
BMF
View Profile
Regular user
Saint Louis
132 Posts

Profile of BMF
A few years ago, I got some Ellusionist decks as a gift. I've toyed with the Black Tigers, Black Vipers, Masters Edition, and the Ghost decks.

I'm surprised nobody's noted yet that a lot of these decks are thicker and heavier than the standard Bicycle 808. Because of this, they're inherently more noisy. For those of you who bend a card as you DPS, you'll have to spend hours upon hours more practice to perform your DPS up to 808 standard with the Ellusionist decks. The cards are clunky, and the finish is clearly different. They faro about as well as rotten lettuce leaves. I'm not sure if it's the stock, the cut, or the finish, but I have a terrible time doing faros with the four Ellusionist decks that I have. I used to do some work in a night club - a "get really drunk and dance to loud music" kind of club, not like a jazz club or a cigar lounge. I played around with one of the Ellusionist decks because the pips are black light sensitive. While the partying club-goers were being wildly impressed with the cards reacting to black light, I had performed an entire set that they didn't even notice. Even for use in standard working atmospheres, you'll have the same effect. People will pay a little more attention to your cards, and a little less to what you do with them. And let's face it: It ain't about the cards. It's all about ME.

My suggestion is to totally ignore them. The only feasible exception, in my mind, is if you're into XCM, as the kids call it these days. The added weight and unusual finish hold blocks of cards together better during complicated sequences. The cards themselves being flashy actually could add to your...exhibition.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
These fancy black cards make me think of velvet Elvis paintings! Interesting to look at but I sure as hell don't want one in my house! Smile

I do have a few of these boutique decks in my collection but have no need or desire to use em in performance and they're far to expensive for practice (15-20 decks a month)!

MMc
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Ellusionist decks (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL