The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Ellusionist decks (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
A little off topic but,

I've been buying my bikes at COSCO - 12 packs for $13 bucks! I just read that The American Playing Card Company has canceled their contracts with COSCO so they will no longer be available.

Just a heads up.

Dov
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Quote:
On 2009-08-01 23:59, johndraws wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-31 09:52, Maloney wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-31 08:51, johndraws wrote:
So you people that prefer not to use them because you say lay people think they are trick decks.....let me ask you this. Do they suspect they are trick decks before you do the effect or after? Also....have you ever had anyone suspect a regular deck was a trick deck?

I personally have had people think the bicycle deck cards were trick cards as well...so really there was absolutely no reason to negate a beautiful deck of cards because of suspicion. Simply hand the cards out at the beginning (or end)....their doubts will be destroyed.
Again with the amount of different colored cards these days that are bicycle....it is not UNUSUAL to have a different colored set of cards.

It has been my experience that the "lay people" suspecting a trick deck, even when one is NOT used is just as common these days with ordinary official cards.

Yes I perform reguarly for diverse audiences.


Bicylcle cards are commom to us as magicians. Lay people have probably never seen a deck of bikes before in thier life. A lot of people use old, non-durable cards when playing poker for fun, or any other type of card game. They do not buy bicycles to use while playing cards.


I think most people recognize bicycle cards as ordinary....I don't believe I have ever heard anyone call them buy name...yet I never asked. I doubt they "never seen" them since that is by and large what Wal-Mart carries. They even have them in the front check out lanes. However they do come in all different colors. Silver, White, blue, red, green, pink....etc. So...since you are in agreeance with what we are saying...this reinforces the notion that you should use what you like and never mind the thought that automatically using a custom deck with create suspicion.


It's not the "main" brand of card that Wal-Mart carries. There's about 8 or 9 different brands, all with the same amount of decks.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2009-07-06 23:33, rklew64 wrote:
Karnivals are fun to have. Also Theory 11's Propaganda deck, Dan Sperry's Crimson are nice. I'll mention it here since I haven't seen it here, Bicycle prints a black backed deck regular rider back 808. I only have seen it sold paired with the red backed deck in a 4 pack, 2 colors each. And last but not least the full black back and front Tally Ho deck, Viper. and yes those are E distributed but still from USPCC.



I have found, in a three pack of one red, one blue, and one black in target many times.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!



"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
johndraws
View Profile
Loyal user
Danville, Illinois
202 Posts

Profile of johndraws
Quote:
On 2009-08-02 01:00, MickeyPainless wrote:
I don't remember EVER playing in a casual Friday night poker game (read, total amateur hack players) where the cards were not Bikes or Hoyles and on occasion Bee's! More serious home games are usually Bee's or Bikes!

I agree with John, the standard cards in convenience stores like 7-11 or Circle K are Bicycle Rider Backs! Walmart and Target and almost every large grocery chain carry Bikes at the check out counter! Some of the off beat mini marts or liquor stores may carry Streamlines or Aviator but usually Bikes or Hoyle!

I've never been questioned about the cards I use in magic regardless of make or model! When I do a trick, I'm the one in question not the cards!

I also don't feel the need to hand out my deck or over prove anything! I have no problem using a borrowed deck either!

Don't run if ya ain't bein chased!

MMc


Agreed 100%. I offered up the inspection of the deck because you are not using a gimmik and if the questioning or acusation arises, it would be so easy and normal to hand it out. It has been my personal experience that the assumption comes sooner or later with or without using bikes. I have had people ask to see my deck before and their curiosity had nothing to do with the brand...the trick went over so well, it was their only explanation. This has happened to me occassionally regardless of the cards I used even though most of the time I do actually use bikes.
DN777
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of DN777
I agree as well... I use the fancy decks for XCM routines, but not for sleight of hand work. I prefer cards that people can recognize if possible.

If you like flourishes though, these cards rock.
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
I've personaly never had problems useing any deck, I generally get the 3rd degree regardless what deck I use. I borrowed a deck once and was accused of it being fake, then switched, lol.
domno
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of domno
I liked some of the E decks. They are expensive though. First impression was that they were real nice but after I had been using them for a while, I picked up a pack of regular bikes and found that I like the fact that they are thinner. Now if I pick up one of the E decks I have laying around they are uncomfortable for me. I do really like the way the ghosts look but I have since replaced them with the Bicycle limited edition decks. I think they are awesome as well as moderately priced. I'm also working my way through a brick of talys that I bought on line.
ico
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
109 Posts

Profile of ico
I've read somewhere that certain Ellusionist decks handle better in flourishes because of different stiffness, thickness and finish, and also that some of the back patterns look really good in fans and so on.
Agaton
View Profile
Loyal user
Manila
292 Posts

Profile of Agaton
I would recommend Alladin 1001 for flourishes rather than the E or T11 decks. So far, I only get them in Singapore (at 7 eleven stores!)

I do collect them even though they release new cards regularly, giving more reason for kids to bug their parents on a monthly basis. But then again, they end up as a collection items for me. I never use them, but I like to show them off to friends and magic buddies.

As far as people identifying them as trick decks...well they are! The latest T11 decks (Guardians, Centurions, Stingers, Smoke/Mirrors, Split Spades, Propaganda, whew!) are one sided and comes with the double backer.

Also, upon checking Blaine's new show. I saw him perform using the Split Spades Lions. He had an effect that uses a visual gaff (the queen holding the selected card, four of spades)...upon checking my deck, it is there. The queen is holding the four of spades. So much for being a regular deck Smile
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2009-10-20 14:10, Agaton wrote:


Also, upon checking Blaine's new show. I saw him perform using the Split Spades Lions. He had an effect that uses a visual gaff (the queen holding the selected card, four of spades)...upon checking my deck, it is there. The queen is holding the four of spades. So much for being a regular deck Smile



On most decks, the QS is holding a 6s or 8s
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!



"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Agaton
View Profile
Loyal user
Manila
292 Posts

Profile of Agaton
Quote:
On 2009-10-20 16:09, kcg5 wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-10-20 14:10, Agaton wrote:


Also, upon checking Blaine's new show. I saw him perform using the Split Spades Lions. He had an effect that uses a visual gaff (the queen holding the selected card, four of spades)...upon checking my deck, it is there. The queen is holding the four of spades. So much for being a regular deck Smile



On most decks, the QS is holding a 6s or 8s


I agree but the shape of the spade is quite faint, some even thought it's a heart. This one is printed clearly as a spade.
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
I've used my ghost deck quite a bit (the black E decks fade around the edges very fast, makes them not as 'flashy') with gaffs. If I'm doing impromptu tricks, or use dupps, makeing a deck of a sort, I stay with regular bikes just for the simple fact they are cheaper (sure $4 somthing is a decent price for the ghost deck, but factor in shipping, it's about $6).

I bought a Guardians deck from Kmart just to have a collector deck and one to play with, and they aren't to bad. and the Limited edition is pretty sweet in my opinion as well, guess my tastes depend on which I grab to practice with for the day, Karnivals are alright, I never use mine, It looks awesome, but feels funny to me, like at anytime they'll all stick together... Guess I'm ranting about nothing, lol. sorry!

Brandon Juhnke
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Quote:
On 2009-10-20 18:51, Claude LaLonde wrote:
I would never use any of these specialty decks when performing magic for laymen. I'm sure someone has come up with a presentation that justifies the use of 'funny-looking' cards. They're just not for me.




Old argument with no basis in fact. They are ALL funny looking cards to laymen. Why? Because its not normal to see cards vanish, Rise from the deck, and so on Bicycle's or not.

Your running without being chased.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Ellusionist decks (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL