The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Trick to teach kids (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
I'm doing a show this Thurs. for boys 5 to 11. I've been asked to finish by teaching a trick. My first thought was to get some Adams Magic thing, like the spikes through the coin box. I'll be in LA this weekend--where is a good place that would have a large supply of the same item?

Or is there something else you can suggest?
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I don't know about LA but here on the east coast we have dollar stores that carries some magic (i.e. ball and vase, Svengali, coin box...etc)...

You can pick some up there...
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Good thought. Just found out it's boys and girls and up to about 24. It's a camp, though it will be inside, and there are a number of counselors.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1354 Posts

Profile of mike storz
How old are they?
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1354 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Oops! Never mind you told us already!!!!

Mike Smile
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1354 Posts

Profile of mike storz
For the older kids, I would suggest asking the camp to have enough decks of cards for each of them or at least two kids per deck and you can teach them a simple card trick or two. For the younger ones, a trip to the dollar store might be your best option. Maybe the quarter slide or the magic box.
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Thanks for the feedback. We were thinking of dividing them into two parts.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1354 Posts

Profile of mike storz
I do think dividing them is a good idea. Smile
thescienceworks
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of thescienceworks
I use the Floating Pencil a lot with kids, where one finger does the work. That is an easy one that takes just a few minutes to learn and test out, and works for a wide age range. It also has a surprise ending (if you wear a watch) that you can also teach them.
The Mind-Reading Crayons (with the thumb-nail) is also a good quick one.
I personally stay away from cards with younger kids. If they were 10-12 year olds, yes, cards would be great. Tyring to do card work with a large group of 5-6 year olds, you'll end up with a lot of picking up and mixed up cards etc.
Would they let you split them by age range? (5-7's, and 8-11's). That would also make it easier.

-Steve
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24100 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-07-03 13:17, The Old Man wrote:
I'm doing a show this Thurs. for boys 5 to 11. I've been asked to finish by teaching a trick. My first thought was to get some Adams Magic thing, like the spikes through the coin box. I'll be in LA this weekend--where is a good place that would have a large supply of the same item?

I would advise something impromptu. One good one is the glass thru table using a coin and handkerchief.
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Quote:
On 2009-07-03 22:22, Dynamike wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-03 13:17, The Old Man wrote:

I would advise something impromptu. One good one is the glass thru table using a coin and handkerchief.

If you are referring to the one with that uses a salt shaker--I always like it.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24100 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Yea, you right. I meant salt shaker. You can tell I'm getting old.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
You could do the old pen behind the ear vanish. I always teach that to kids. Another great trick to teach kids is the ropes through the body trick using two ropes and a special, completely inexpensive something found at any Walmart or craft store that you pay about $2.00 for and receive a lifetime supply.
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Quote:
On 2009-07-04 08:06, twistedace wrote:
You could do the old pen behind the ear vanish. I always teach that to kids. Another great trick to teach kids is the ropes through the body trick using two ropes and a special, completely inexpensive something found at any Walmart or craft store that you pay about $2.00 for and receive a lifetime supply.

You know I used to do that rope trick when I was a yout'. It seems a good time to bring it back out.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7396 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
A resource you might find helpful is the "Magic Tricks R 4 Kids" DVD set. There are 4 volumes.

http://www.magictricksareforkids.com/

Also available at many magic dealers.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1724 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Why not just get the Adam's catalog. I think that they were sold, but I believe that they still have their place in Asbury Park, NJ. The last time that I was in there, they had a lot of small stuff that was as cheap as you can find anywhere.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I like teaching the ropes through the body because it is an easy to do/prepare, packs flat, and plays huge type of trick with no skill involved whatsoever. It's a great confidence builder for kids.
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
767 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Torn and restored paper is my vote for that age range.... I like the version patrick page teaches in paper magic.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1216 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
I had such a gig and had a big success with "rubbing a coin into your arm." It teaches a basic principle of magic -- misdirection -- the kids can all follow along with pennies, and it is something that fools them the first time. Plus, it doesn't tip anything too big, while the better ones will be able to fool their friends and parents with it.

Marc
thescienceworks
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of thescienceworks
Marc, I like that idea. I agree with the don't "tip anything too big" comment.
That has always been my biggest challenge when thinking about teaching magic to kids. It is a fine line, I think, between teaching them tricks that that can learn and use easily and that fit in within their fine-motor-control capabilities, and keeping magical secrets safe. Usually where I split it is never teaching anything that I use within my show, but where do others of you draw the line? I taught Torn and restored Paper to a class this past year, and really debated before hand whether to use it or not. I never teach them cut and restored rope or the the TT, as I use those regularly. Maybe this should be another thread...

-Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Trick to teach kids (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL