The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Private Studies Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jasonchr
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
173 Posts

Profile of jasonchr
I have heard many good things and have been very intrigued by Ron Bauer's Private Studies manuscripts. One thing, however, has kept me from ordering them. And that is that some of tricks seem very dependent upon the presentations. The scripts I use fit certain personal criteria I have. After reading the descriptions on the website of some of the effects, I don't think the presentations would fit into my routine. However, I think that there still might be something for me to gain just by reading the manuscripts.

So does anyone here perform the effects with a different patter than the one that is provided? Any other information you can provide on these manuscripts is appreciated as well...

Thanks,
Jason
The aspirant should acquire the resolve to explore and expand his talents to the best of his ability. With a thorough commitment to quality comes a sense of accomplishment and unique satisfaction.

John Carney
Davy Davis
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Davy Davis
I originally bought just the first two of the private studies series to answer exactly the same question. The level of explanation Ron Bauer put into his script for gadabout coins was eye-opening to me. For instance he begins with coming up with a justification for carrying three half dollars. Not to do a magic trick with them but a more "real world" explanation of why he would happen to have them.
I learned enough from his first two private studies scripts that I immediately sent off for 5 more and then last week the last six. So I am a convert.
I do however find the amount of humor more than I normally use, especially some of the puns, but he carefully explains why each joke is there and the purpose it serves in the presentation of the overall trick.
Buy one and see what you think.
Davy
hat trick
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of hat trick
Personality IS definitely an issue with RBPS. I have all of the ones that have been published, so far. I only perform five. The others that I DON'T perform are "not me". Choose wisely, and RBPS will serve you well. BTW, the tricks themselves are pretty much "standards". The script and handling is what you're actually buying.
dmk_kirkland
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of dmk_kirkland
You may want to PM Dowdy with your question. He is essentially the main contact for the RBPS.
Cheers,
David
jasonchr
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
173 Posts

Profile of jasonchr
Thanks to everyone for the information. I'll be able to make a better choice now about which one to get.

hat trick, do you mind posting which five of the tricks you perform?

Thanks,
Jason
The aspirant should acquire the resolve to explore and expand his talents to the best of his ability. With a thorough commitment to quality comes a sense of accomplishment and unique satisfaction.

John Carney
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
Every magician should not only own them but should memorize them cover to cover.
If you are just interested in tricks they are a dime a dozen go buy another book or video.
With Mr. Bauer's series, they are worth a hundred times more than he charges for them. The tricks are pretty cool, but they are not what’s important. Take a a look at what you learn in each manuscript. I think a lot of guys only read them for the trick and that's to bad, The information on timing misdirection, taglines , tags, structure psychology, disguising sleights, clarity , premise, CONFLICT, plot, strategy, effect, staging, PRESENTATION, simplicity, acting, voice inflection and emphasizing certain words, not completing sentences and the impact of that, plus so much more, ohhhh if you only knew.
You must study these not read them once or twice, but really study word for word what he is telling you. The price you pay is so minimum. I can not think of one book I have purchased that has given me so much knowledge than what I have found in these magical gems.
I have done every trick of all the manuscripts I have read and own. I didn't do them to add to the permanent repertoire. I did them to understand what his points were in the learning process. I applied so much of this knowledge to my own performances and see a tremendous difference in style entertainment value etc. The most important thing because of the information I have learned from these must own booklets, they have increased my income a great deal, I have the bank deposits to prove it.
I thank Paul Chosse for turning me onto them they have been the biggest eye opening tool for me to make me a better and stronger magician.
This was not by anyone asking me to promote these. this is by my own accord. I believe in them that much. This is honestly how I feel about the Ron Bauer private STUDIES. Guys if you listen to anything I say, please listen to this. GET THESE NOW, study them learn the tricks , to understand the principles at play, I guarantee they will affect the way you perform and entertain. They will make you great. Just my two cents
:applause: Smile Smile Smile
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

melish
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of melish
More than 2 cents, Reed. Thanks for a very clear analysis and recommendation. I'll check them out more closely.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
I love this series. Even if you weren't to do the routines exactly as written (or at all), you'll get an incredible amount of knowledge from these.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
jasonchr
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
173 Posts

Profile of jasonchr
Thanks for the great review Reed! You've convinced me to start getting the manuscripts. Is there one that would be good to begin with?

Thanks,
Jason

John Carney
dmk_kirkland
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of dmk_kirkland
I'd like to add that these manuscripts have the best technical descriptions of sleights I have come across.

Take something like the "Convincing Control" in the Mechanical Deck routine. It is extremely well taught, and every move of the sleight is completely motivated within the context of the routine. You can also view clips online to see the sleights being performed.
Cheers,
David
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
Start with one and just go crazy. Today I pulled all of them out and went over them again. These are amazing. Smile
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

Dowdy
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Dowdy
Hi dmk_kirkland,

Nice to hear from you!

Actually the "Convincing Control" is in #9, "Fair & Sloppy". Also in this Private Study is the proper way to do a table spread perfectly, every time even on a glass table! Not to mention the correct way to do a slop shuffle! Oh yeah, everyone knows how to do a slop shuffle right? You might take a look at the tips RB has and your slop shuffle will look 100 times better!

In #11, "Mechanical Deck" is where you'll find THE ONLY 100% accurate description of the Finley/Vernon double turnover. Every magician can do one of these right? But, are there tells? Do you get nervous when you do this sleight? The second half of this book has full descriptions, details and illustrations to help you master this move!

Not only are the technical descriptions right on! The RB tips are priceless! On top of that, if you want to perform a trick that's already been worked out...these are a great way to build confidence b/c if you perform the trick EXACTLY as RB has directed, YOU WILL GET A POSITIVE REACTION!!!

Now, are you saying, sure Dowdy's only saying this b/c he's involved with RBPS? Ok, I'm a little biased, but I didn't start this thread and no I haven't registered under 10 different names! I challenge any of you out there to pick up just one and see for yourself. Take any of the guys above that have read just one, there was obviously something in there that was good or they wouldn't have gone on to get another and another and another...Not only will you get more information than you ever have out of a book, but your audience will love you for it! You and your audience have more fun than you ever have before!!!

Like RB says, "If you're a magician, you must FOOL'EM in order to ENTERTAIN'EM.

The RBPS has the secret on how to do just that!

Dowdy
http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com
Hayze
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
83 Posts

Profile of Hayze
This truly is a wonderful series, I own five of them and can't wait to finish out the set.

While I do think the main focus of the RBPS series is the performance script, the explanations are also top notch and are not to be over looked.
dmk_kirkland
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of dmk_kirkland
Whoops, you're right. I was writing my response without the benefit of having the manuscripts in front of me.

Shame on me, I should be carrying them with me wherever I go Smile
Cheers,
David
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Quote:
On 2003-05-28 14:42, hat trick wrote:
Personality IS definitely an issue with RBPS. I have all of the ones that have been published, so far. I only perform five. The others that I DON'T perform are "not me". Choose wisely, and RBPS will serve you well. BTW, the tricks themselves are pretty much "standards". The script and handling is what you're actually buying.

The tricks might SEEM standard from the outside, but they are not. For instance, Ron's handling for Gadabout Coins I have not seen anywhere else, plus I learned a great new vanish that I never saw before.
Plus, if you read the description to Feminine Side, you'll tell yourself that it sounds like Out of This World, but yet again I have never seen the same handling before. It is very disarming, and will also fool magicians.

Trust me, you get more than you ever would have conceived if you buy any one of them. I plan on getting a few more in the near future.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
I just picked up 2 more. Even if you don't do the trick you'll learn a LOT about timing, setting up an effect, canceling out the spectators solutions and finesse with moves. The description of Marlo's Convincing Control in Fair and Sloppy is one of the best I've seen.

You can't go wrong with these in my opinion.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
I plan on buying 'The Mechanical Deck' just for its explanation of the Vernon Double Turnover. This is something I have not seen explained well anywhere, and I've heard that the explanation of it in this is the best yet.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Private Studies Question (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL