The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dress to impress (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bigboymagic
View Profile
New user
Dallas, TX
26 Posts

Profile of Bigboymagic
I have only done a handful of shows but now that more people are requesting my show at their kids birthday party my tuxedo tee shirt and jeans isn't going to cut it. I need to go for a more professional magician look. Does anyone have a any suggestions or care to share what they perform in.
Thanks,
Make it a great day or not the choice is yours.
~bigboymagic~
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Bigboymagic
View Profile
New user
Dallas, TX
26 Posts

Profile of Bigboymagic
Thanks for the pics Dynamike
Make it a great day or not the choice is yours.
~bigboymagic~
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I think you are wise to understand that looking like a bum gives you the image. You only get one chance to make a good first impression. Dress is 100% of all many people use. Don't let it work against you. It is just as easy to put it in your favor.

As an old marketing professor, I can tell you it is not unusual to pay more for the wrapper than the contents. Otherwise, the product never gets a trial!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Amen to that, Bob.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I agree with Bob totally too.
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
I don't think there is a need to go formal i.e. a tuxedo and bow tie however. A nice coat (with or without a tie) and a nice pair of pants (not jeans) go a long way to making a good first impression. In lieu of a coat a vest is a good accessory as it has pockets and is perfectly acceptable. If you're going the vest route consider a nicer shirt as part of your performing outfit, it makes a difference.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
It all depends on your character - what style and persona are you performing as? Is there a costuming theme you have unknowingly woven into your act?

Tux, jackets, ect... in my opinion aren't for kids shows. Kids do not see that as FUN. You want to not only BE fun - you want to LOOK fun.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The tux is hardly the only suitable dress for doing magic. As a rodeo clown it would have been totally inappropriate.

My point is that costumes (including street clothes) make an impression. If you look like the busboy, unemployed fisherman, drug dealer, party crasher here by accident, or the yard boy; people will go with it. The worst part is that they may stop paying attention right there and then.

Without meaningful attention, the entertainment value is lost. The individual (entertainer) needs to establish credentials that get the meaningful attention. Call it getting the respect of the listener, if you must. If they don't care or respect what you have to say and do, your influence as an entertainer is severely limited. They are not paying attention to the entertainer. At best then, it is just an interruption to process.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
conankid144
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of conankid144
And with the close-up magic what style is the best of your opinion?
With me wear just like regular person
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Bob's post implies for all types of magic.
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
There is an entire section called "the clothes we wear"on the main page which may have some helpful advice to you Conankid144.

:magicrabbit:
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Go here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......107&6237

There are over 6000 posts and 17 pages of subtopics on costumes.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- One of the often heard comments at magic conventions is "Don't they perform often enough to have a costume?" Audience expectations are very real and they pay the tab! Failure to dress for the job won't buy you points with a paying audience.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Mike Melito
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Mike Melito
This is a very important issue. I saw someone trying to dress how they thought they were cool. But the truth is that they looked messy, unkept.

My kids competed in the Jr Close up contest at the Jubilee and one was a pirate. My daughter had a nice outfit and the winner was my son who was wearing a nice white jacket, shirt etc. He looked good. And the props actually stood out better in front of a white jacket too
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2009-07-04 22:59, Dynamike wrote:
Following are a few pictures to what I wear: (edit)

Now this is class-A! I really like the red, but it wouldn't fit my image. The blue is awesome, more my style, the white and light blue are sharp too!

It's true. Now folks, this guy looks good in ALL of these, and I'll bet his performance matches his style.

If you've never dressed like this, I suggest consulting a professional, someone who KNOWS what works for YOU! You might be surprised, bright red might be your best bet. Ya never know.

Thanks for the pix, Dynamike!

Doug
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Dynamike and Bob are dead on the money, but don't limit yourself to one "magicians costume".

It pays to know what kind of audience you're working for. Just this weekend I did an outdoor show where I dressed in a loud orange "Hawaii shirt", with colorful Leis, HUGE starshaped sunglasses, and a white cowboy hat (matched the pants). It was appropriate for this venue because it shouted "FUN" without looking completely ridiculous. (You'd probably need to see it.) Everyone thought it was a great outfit, and I got many compliments after the show.

Earlier this year I did an evening show more in the line of a storyteller, and the dress was completely black and white, using a tuxedo shirt (no jacket), black bow tie and cummerbund with a black beret. Also wide black suspenders. The effect was "old world charming" and totally worked for that time and place.

Just like everything else, your routines, outfit, even your jokes need to be carefully aimed at the specific venue you're working.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
375 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
Unfortunately I don't have any photos to share, but I kind of go with the Doug Henning look, I pull it off with the addition of the fun and amazement of magic (Yes, I show wonder and amazement as well....and not only when an effect goes badly)

Not everyone can pull it off, and my clothes are not quite as loud as his were, but it works for me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dress to impress (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL