The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Good close up case (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I don't know if anybody has written this up before, but I was in an arts & crafts store and it occurred to me that an artist's box designed to hold oil paints and brushes would make a nice close-up case. It's perfectly float which means that it would make a nice base for a close up mat, and it has compartments inside. It's too narrow to hold cups, but with a little glue and some felt, it would make a great case for about $20.
craig fraley
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of craig fraley
I agree. Last time I was in an art store, I looked at the art cases and thought the same thing. They had lots of styles and sizes and would work great for a small close-up show.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Check the Makeup cases at Target or Walmart! These are the alum. cases that look like the ones on CSI and they vary in size and quality! I got a very nice one a couple years ago for around 35!

MMc
arios0
View Profile
New user
Lexington, KY
84 Posts

Profile of arios0
I use a old PSP case. Cheap many little compartments. looks like a mini professional briefcase.
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Find a Harbor Freight Tools near you. They sell nice aluminum tool cases with a padded interior, dividers, and even comes a customizable block of foam for inside. Cheap too!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/di......er=39196

Small: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/di......er=36870

Larger props: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/di......er=36871
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
494 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
If you don't have a Harbor Freight near you try Home Depot. They have one as well and it is about $30.

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1663 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Wow thanks, I'm goona have to make a trip to home depot
JimmyH
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of JimmyH
I love these kind of cases...they are perfect for close up props
SilvaAce
View Profile
Regular user
Fargo, ND
156 Posts

Profile of SilvaAce
I have one of the aluminum cases from HomeDepot and I just recently used it as my carry-on on a flight. No problems from airport security. They actually started laughing when I had to open it and they saw my inflatable bikini duck! Hey, come on guy's it's used for a kids show!
All you have to do to change your life, is to change your daily habits!

Carlos Silva
Jeffrey Korst
View Profile
New user
SF Bay Area
92 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Korst
For something you'd be willing to take to a table as opposed to just carring to the gig check out a good smoke shop. Cigars come in some very nice wood boxes.

Also there is this wine gift box:

http://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?itemTy......mID=4560
Why, yes. I do need new pictures. Why do you ask?

Jeffrey Korst
San Francisco Bay Area Magician
RodHousley
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of RodHousley
There is another case that home depot and lowe's sometimes carry it is in the hardware department and it is silver with foam compartments that are removeable. Not a case that is terribly small, but holds more if you are doing a larger set.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2010-02-09 23:39, RodHousley wrote:
There is another case that home depot and lowe's sometimes carry it is in the hardware department and it is silver with foam compartments that are removeable. Not a case that is terribly small, but holds more if you are doing a larger set.

I use one of these...I was surprised to see it for only $26. The built in compartments are nice and a flap at the top (meant for tools) holds pens, balls for my C&B routine, and wands...and the insert comes out so that I can store a few larger items like my Jap Box and spare rope in the lid. I believe Michael Ammar was using the same thing when I saw him lecture recently, so if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.
Oh, and the best part...it has locks. When I get around kids, they get very excited to see magic props, so when I walk away it's nice to know my stuff isn't going to, ahem, disappear....
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Chris Westfall
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
252 Posts

Profile of Chris Westfall
I use a poker set case where the top half was padded. I tore out the chips holder section and glued in table hopper close up pad. perfect size for the case. have used it for almost 2 years now.. its perfect!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Office Depot has a nice little case that you can carry C&Bs, Chop Cup, etc. in the file case section. It only costs $20 and is black and aluminum on all the edges. It also has a handle on the top center. Nice looking little case in my opinion.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
Jeremy Gates
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

I use a pencil box for my thread and waxes. Plus one for a bunch of miscelanious small things that I use on a regular basis so its easy to get my material for the day. For the church trip I am going to today I just grabed that and loaded it into my suitcase after removing a few things I didn't need and I was done.
Jeremy Gates
martysh
View Profile
Special user
Greenville,SC
526 Posts

Profile of martysh
I just pared down my big leather satchel to a sony cam corder case and am thrilled with it.. a camcorder case might be a bit more masculine than a purse or anythng like that .. it has a movable wall in side.. and three outside pockets with one more that holds my wallet.
I am surprisingly pleased with this solution.. it has caused me to carry less

MARTY
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Dr. Jaks had a nice method by I forget what it was. Was it a hollowed out book? And very interesting tasteful small props. I feel like I might have early dementia sometimes. I just remember reading about and admiring Dr. Jaks.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

I use an old cigar box for the cork balls I use for my cups.
Jeremy Gates
MadderMax
View Profile
Regular user
Venice, FL
136 Posts

Profile of MadderMax
I use the silver case form Lowe's and love it.
I loved it even more after I went to lecture by Michael Ammar and
saw he has the same case!
John Mott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Good close up case (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL