The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » I'm just a card guy... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Back No 67
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Back No 67
Hi guys,

I also post this in another thread. I'm not sure where it would go.
I'm thinking of entering an amateur magic competition near where I live. The comp is just for amateurs and must be suited to parlor.
I have a problem however, I just do card magic.. what do you suggest I do?

Ed
vinkelhaken
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
179 Posts

Profile of vinkelhaken
What you do best.
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Look to the classic's.......there lies your new card act.
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2016 Posts

Profile of puggo
Some of the most entertaining magic I have ever seen has been done with a deck of cards (David Williamson, Jeff Hobson, John Carney, Bill Malone, John Archer and many more...).
I would also agree with the last two posts. Good luck, be yourself, and tell us how you get on!
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1159 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Cards across plays very well to larger audiences. There are methods with and without envelopes and all kill if done well. Bill Malone did a very basic version on World's Greatest Magic and got a great reaction.

Do what you are comfortable with, but remember the limitations of the size of the group.

Do you have any mentalism effects with cards? Those tend to play to larger groups better than your average assembly.

Just some random thoughts.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Back No 67
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Back No 67
Hey guys,

Thanks for your advice. I was thinking of cards across as an effect I might use. My main problem here is opening up my close up work. Would that be suited to parlor?

Doctor REvil, can you be a little more specific. I'm more then happy to search for them, I'm just not sure where to look.

I enjoy Bill Malone and John Carney's card work, would Bill's 'On Loose' acts be considered close up or parlor?

Ed
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
PM'd ya......
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2016 Posts

Profile of puggo
I'd agree that cards across (especially when you have a spectator sit on the cards) is a great piece for parlour. Invisible deck can play very big (I particularly like Mel Mellers version).
Osterlind BCS work such as 'Test conditions' or '2 cards to pocket'.
I used James Princes's 'Bullet Card' concept as a stage/parlour piece recently, and it went over very well - lots of presentation with an easy effect
Michael Paul who posts here had a card and card box to impossible location ('Fed Exed' I think).
I believe (but I can't confirm as I don't own yet!) that Michael Vincent, Steven Youell & Doc Dixon (also on the Café) have some parlour card effects..

Good luck in finding what is right for you.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2016 Posts

Profile of puggo
Oops.. there are so many great workers on the Café, as soon as you write one down, you remember another!
How about pm'ing Scott Guinn? A wide range of effects available on his web site, including parlour items. Scott is (like many others here) a very helpful gentleman.
http://www.scottfguinn.com/cardmagic.asp
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2618 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
A terrific cards across effect that plays great to a parlor-sized audience is Aronson's 'Red See Passover'. It's incredibly strong and is so well constructed that it's difficult to back-track. If I were tasked with a cards across for this type of audience this would be my hands down choice.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Are you a skilled card guy? Parlour is a great opportunity to learn some classics, some versions of which are in Royal Road. I am thinking of Ladies Looking Glass, Cards to Pocket, Everywhere and Nowhere, General Card. Geez I should learn these myself! Heck, I should really get around to reading Don Quixote!

Seriously, these are great tricks that require "address" on the part of a performer. There are some more modern versions of Ladies Looking Glass by Skinner and Michael Vincent. But you need to get deeply into these classics, and it takes time, even if you already can do the "moves." I would study then practice then rehearse some of these classics aiming for NEXT year's contest if you really want to own the contest...don't short change the art or yourself!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
The Classic Magic of Michael Vincent offers great handlings of many classics that can all be suited to parlor.
BMF
View Profile
Regular user
Saint Louis
132 Posts

Profile of BMF
Quote:
On 2009-07-07 02:48, pepka wrote:
The Classic Magic of Michael Vincent offers great handlings of many classics that can all be suited to parlor.

I think this is worthy of repetition. There's some very nice parlor work on that DVD.
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
Wow.. very nice changes!!
AllanRasco
View Profile
New user
Tucson, AZ.
5 Posts

Profile of AllanRasco
Where in this huge Café does one go to ask, who was the Korean card manipulator that floored us at the World Magic Seminar? I have a vague recollection of his name, please forgive me but it was some something like Ah Ya Lim ???
Back No 67
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Back No 67
Hi,
Thanks for all your help. I''ll take a look at your suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes. Smile

Ed
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1246 Posts

Profile of splice
Quote:
On 2009-07-07 17:47, AllanRasco wrote:
Where in this huge Café does one go to ask, who was the Korean card manipulator that floored us at the World Magic Seminar? I have a vague recollection of his name, please forgive me but it was some something like Ah Ya Lim ???

One just doesn't throw his query into any thread that is completely unrelated to the question. You're not going to get an answer that way and it's a bit rude to interrupt a conversation to ask something that has nothing to do with what is being discussed.

When you are on the page that lists all the discussions going on (http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?forum=2 for example), there is a big image with "POST NEW TOPIC" in red near the top left of the screen. Use that and make a new topic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » I'm just a card guy... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL