The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » The value of competition (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Reading over any thorough and well written book about Houdini, and you become aware that arguments and challenges he had with rivals were sometimes set up. He knew the value of the publicity generated by two similar acts competing for top bragging rights, and he used this idea well. He did it several times, and if a few were not stooged out, then so much the better. A real argument sold itself. Houdini: master of self publicity... along with his other accomplishments.

Well... This one looks like it is for real. If this is a stooge job I will be shocked, since the argument is 30 years old. No one would hold a fake grudge that long to bring to a head after most of the people around at the beginning have long forgotten the initial feud.

Yes Steve Baker vs. Norman Bigelow. I have read Bigelow's comments about Steve in his masterpiece book. I have read Baker's comments about Bigelow. Who is right? How should I know? I was in Junior High School when it started and I wouldn't pick my first lock for another four years.

http://web.me.com/carnegiemagic/Escape/Welcome.html

Well, if this thing really comes off, and really goes on TV, all I will point out is that this will generate great publicity for all of us, and the beautiful thing about it is that it won't matter who wins! We all will win.

I hope it happens, and I hope it happens big.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
P.S. Just to be clear. We all know I am friends with Steve Baker. For the record, my only contact with Norman Bigelow is that I have read his book. I have not e-mailed him, called him, and I have never met him. I am not involved in the planning of this event in anyway, I am simply reporting the news.
Magic is like Science,
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
First, who's web page is that?

Second, where has all this supposed internet buzz been taking place, because it sure hasn't been here.

Third, I would personally like to see these two retire with honor and preserve what dignity they still possess.

That's my 2 buzzes worth, and it's worth every bzzz.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
If this actually happens, I'm sure it will be an event that...most people won't even be aware of, let alone care about.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I should qualify, mind you, with respect to both men, that I am not trying to be snarky, but am simply acknowledging the general public's lack of interest in our squabbles.

If this involved two 'current,' high-profile names (take your pick of any two from Copperfield, Blaine, Angel or Goodwin), the general public might show SOME interest. Even then, however, whether it would be viewed in a positive light, or as "Jeez, these guys need to get a life!" would remain to be seen.
- Albert Camus
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
The buzz is on the Genie board forum. I must admit I do not post or read there, so I am taking this at face value.
Magic is like Science,
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Yes, there has been a lot of Buzz at Genii, some topics locked, most deleted, many many emails circulating as well.

Chance I'm gusessing the posted page has to do with Steve since it has Carnegie's name attched.

Personally I am interested in this as an escape artsit as both are following the challenges, duels, of old. It is historically interesting to me.

While I do not know Steve, Norm has been keeping me in the loop from square one of this challenge.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I have always said that the word "if" is exponential when used more than once. That is if two things must fall into place for something to happen then the two "ifs" do not add, they multiply. If there are three "ifs" that must occur the odds of it happening are nine times less likely (3x3). That having been said, I still maintain that if this challenge happens, and if it airs on national television, and if they play it right, two elder statesmen in the field settling an old challenge, then this will be good for all of us. I have no illusions about the number of "ifs" in that sentence, and I probably left a couple out, but I personally have beaten the odds at the "ifs" game. So lets see what happens.
Magic is like Science,
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2009-07-06 09:11, Cliffg37 wrote:
I still maintain that if this challenge happens, and if it airs on national television, and if they play it right, two elder statesmen in the field settling an old challenge, then this will be good for all of us.

I disagree; I think it will just add to the negative air of 'petulant egotism' that is, for example, currently damaging Criss Angel's public image.

But that's just one man's opinion. The general public will pass its own verdict.
- Albert Camus
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
You may be right about that Steve I am not sure and time will tell. I can tell you that among today's young people (remember I am a high school teacher by day) Criss Angel has a very strong reputation and it gives me street credit to say that I have met him. I don't care for his show, probably for the same reasons as many others of us, but the kids today love it. Same for Blaine.

In any case I prefer to look at the bright side and hope that either Escapology gets a boost, or no reaction at all. I do think you will agree it is all in how it is played off. I hope the two start and end by shaking hands, not by arguing and boasting like a pair of pro-wrestlers.
Magic is like Science,
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I predict the following.

1) It will not take place.
2) Or it will be a draw.
3) Both will / should make cash out of it.

As I am not into mental farce,,,,or am I !!!

Good luck to the pair of them at their age grab the dosh and enjoy,,,,,or what`s wrong with a final fling.

Ken.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » The value of competition (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL