The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » TV advertising (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
In my area no magician or entertainment company advertised on tv before. In your area has a magician advertised on tv before? If so, does it pays off?
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I haven't seen one.

Big-station ads are shockingly expensive, but it may be more affordable to place spots on the local cable company (they have spaces available for local merchants). But I can't imagine that it would pay off - when someone wants a magician, they look one up in a directory - they don't just get the notion of having a magician from seeing a TV spot (and anyway by the time they get a pen to write down your number, it's over).
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Don't forget the option of television, newspapers, & radio publicity coverage. That can lead to shows, as well.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPtJfGK8wf8

He has a new commercial now and is advertising on Nickelodeon. I have no idea how effective the commercial is.

I do know that his website is FILLED with typos and grammatical erros.
-Matt
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
Those aren't typos and grammatical errors, you just aren't educated in jive or hebonics like the bros he's trying to reach.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Starting a sentence with lowercase? Handerchief? Crowdsfor? Distinguishe? Pulling pigeons, out of thin air?

If you are going to be advertising with a website address on TV, please use spell check.
-Matt
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Not even getting into the commercial above, there are cost effective techniques from local cable outlets that can get you commercial seen on "prime time" shows. These aren't as expensive as you might think but you need to buy a block of ads to get good rates. Some 30 second spots can be as little as $20 a spot in overnight slots but you need to look realistically at the demographic and who it will reach of yor target audience. Remember that many people will need to see the same commercial 3 times before acting on it so you have to run a LOT of spots to get those views.

These local cable outlets can target your spots to a very specific area so that will help you depending on the area you serve.

Is it worth it? It depends on how compelling your spot is and your market. For most magicians doing parties, I think not, but you might be the exception. For any media campaign like this you would need to commit $3000 - $5000 a month for 3 months or so to get any real coverage. If that's realistic for you to gamble with, then call your local cable company about buying time, they will be glad to sell it to you!
Ray Pierce
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I will give that guy credit unless he starts wearing saggy pants.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Please tell me that commercial is fake.
That is the LAST person I would want at a kid's birthday party.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
He is targeting a different type of audience.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Yea, what we call "dirty curtain business." People that can only afford very low priced and low quality shows. Not the audience I want, give me parents who will pay.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
There are a lot of differet markets available and it doesn't matter what the commercial looks like to us, we're not his customers. I don't doubt that the marketing (if targeted properly) could pay off for him.
Ray Pierce
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Hip hop is a billion dollar industry.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Skip TV do radio...
xxx
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-07-06 16:00, Dynamike wrote:

lol... so if I put the term "Hip-Hop" in my marketing how much of that money can I count on?

I think we also understand that this commercial was a niche commercial and I think it should work for that market if the ads are targeted properly. It doesn't do any good for any of us to denegrate the ad just because that's not our market. If it works for him that's great.
Ray Pierce
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I am not putting down the ad or the magician. I am simply stating that he is advertising a website that is full of spelling errors and grammar errors. It does not come off as professional.
-Matt
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Do we know that his TV ad was effective (produced results), or just that he did one?

Those are two different things.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-07-08 16:28, Ray Pierce wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-06 16:00, Dynamike wrote:

lol... so if I put the term "Hip-Hop" in my marketing how much of that money can I count on?

I think we also understand that this commercial was a niche commercial and I think it should work for that market if the ads are targeted properly. It doesn't do any good for any of us to denegrate the ad just because that's not our market. If it works for him that's great.

There is a misunderstanding. I did put you should use "hip hop" to help out with marketing, unless it is your talent. I am only talking about the ones who target that field. I do know a hip hop clown in my area. That guy is top rank on my side of town. On a special I also seen another hip hop in California. He gets a lot of bookings too because of the audiences he markets in. Hip Hop is a big open field only for those who have the talent for it.

I bet a lot of people were not thinking Ebonics, rap and hip hop was going to make it as high as it is at first. Eminem is smart, look how far it got him. That hip hop magician is the first magician I seen on a commercial. It looks like he is paying his cards right for the audience he targets. Be creative. People do not want to keep watching the same thing. There are different types of audiences out there. If you got what pleases the audiences, use it. Ya kno' wha' I'm say'n?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-07-08 23:48, Dynamike wrote:
I do know a hip hop clown in my area. That guy is top rank on my side of town.

Here he is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUqynz7qk......aynext=1
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
Uncle magic, is a real magician an that is a real commercial. hIS ACT IS HORRIBLE !! I have gotten many of clients asking if I know him, and once I say my act is the opposite they book.

But he gets work do to that commercial.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » TV advertising (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL