The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Small quiz for the summer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Thanks again for your comments guys.

In fact I tried to get some kind of balance between difficult, old and new, etc. But I didn't want to focus only about names, moves or books. Hence some weird questions.

The Jumbo card question is not unfair, you guys handle cards the wole day, you should know your material:-). I understand there are 4-5 possible Jumbo cards available, but I chose the classic one.

About the results.

My idea is not to give the answers. When I started to learn card magic, my education what something like "when you don't know, go learn!". I won't be that rude but my basic goal was to make people think a bit. Sometimes, you've just forgoten something, sometimes, you just don't know. You then need to use your brain and go find the answer in books, DVDs, through the Internet, etc. Trust me, if these quizzes bring some new knowledge to some of you, I'll be very pleased. In case you think I selected a bad answer, you can tell me and we'll fix it. We can talk about any question here too, no worries. But otherwise, you'll have to Google a little bit boys Smile.

About the presentation.

The first version, you just had a score. I improved it because guys wanted to know the questions they answered bad. I can improve it again! In my mind, if I say "you failed question #8, the good answer is XYZ", I don't succeed. You won't have to search by yourself. You won't have to deeply think, to scratch your head asking to yourself "geez, am I that old/innatentive, how can I have forgotten that?". But, again, if many of you want me to change the presentation, I'll do it.

About the rankings, well, it's just an opportunity to bring some fun. It ranges from "Suxor","Dumb","Noob","Tacky","Ignorant" to "Mentor","Guru","Top-notch","Roxor","God". Looking my log files, I've got no Suxor so far (that's really encouraging, we're on a magic forum...) but seldom, very seldom the God ranking is reached at first try.

About the questions.

I think I need to add another ones. Easier and medium difficulty. Many of you are right, there are enough difficult ones Smile.

Finally, I want to tell you that I'm very happy with question #7. Many are mistaken with that one, well it's a nice trap.
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
858 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Quote:
On 2009-07-07 07:33, AMcD wrote:

The Jumbo card question is not unfair, you guys handle cards the wole day, you should know your material:-). I understand there are 4-5 possible Jumbo cards available, but I chose the classic one.

I was just joking about that, Arnold!

Any plans to make more quizzes? I enjoyed taking it.

Thanks,
T.J.
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
I'd like to make a "Magic" quiz but let's be honest, it's impossible to do something pretty serious unless I write 100 questions! History, rings, cards, stage, silks, pigeons, coins, magicians, ropes, etc. In order to offer a nice and entertaining quiz I'd have to write a very long quiz. I'm afraid I'd need to write separate quizzes...

I think I'm rather gonna start/fill new sections on the website. It's the beginning, it takes some time to fill up every part of the site. I'd like to upload dozens of videos but I need to borrow a nice camera, mine is definitely crappy and quality of current videos is really bad.

Well, all that is gonna grow up, just be patient Smile.
(a)ndy
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
163 Posts

Profile of (a)ndy
Really good fun. Thanks for that. I look forward to the future quizzes.
salmononius2
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of salmononius2
I got 19/33 Smile

I think that's pretty good considering I only have 2 years experience Smile
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2921 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Whew! 31/33... not too shabby! Some of those were tricky. Admittedly, I guessed on the Jumbo Card thing.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
359 Posts

Profile of Rudy
That was fun, I liked it. Hope to see some more.

Thank you.
BMF
View Profile
Regular user
Saint Louis
132 Posts

Profile of BMF
Quote:
On 2009-07-07 07:33, AMcD wrote:
The Jumbo card question is not unfair, you guys handle cards the wole day, you should know your material

I wouldn't say that the question is unfair, but I would say that your reasoning is flawed. Only one of the card workers I know uses jumbo cards. I've certainly never used them. There's absolutely no reason to say that I don't know my working material because I don't know the dimensions of a jumbo card. It's not that the question is unfair; it's more that it's not necessarily relevant.

With that out of the way - it is an interesting quiz. It's always nice to go through a nice variety of card trivia!
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
@BMF,

It was just a bit of humor from me. Of course it's not that easy to know a jumbo card size! Not many guys use jumbo cards. But I thought it was interesting to ask the question. After all, almost all magicians have seen jumbo cards. I was sure that many would think "holly ***, good one! How big those cards are, er, let's see".

It's probably one of the most difficult question and my answer here was just humor. To give you another example, I play cards every week, sometimes many times a week. I've handled thousands bicycle. But if you ask me how many digits the serial number in the ace of spades is made of I would certainly be unable to answer. Then you could say "hey man, you handle cards every day, you should know your material".

:).
Mr. X
View Profile
Elite user
U.K.
440 Posts

Profile of Mr. X
Quote:
On 2009-07-06 17:16, AMcD wrote:

More seriously, 100 brave hearts have tried the quiz so far! I'd say that many are very knowledgeable about card magic. But still no straight 100% so far.

Come on guys!

How many in faroes does it take to restore a deck?

I thought eight but your quiz says I'm wrong.
So much to do. So little time.
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
You are.

You need 8 faros using OUT faros. 52 faros using IN faros. Assuming the deck is made of 52 cards of course.
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
685 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
28/33. I missed all the ones I expected to with the exception of #16. I must go discipline myself now...
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Small quiz for the summer (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL