The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Terrifying Experience (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Chapeau, Magnus
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Interesting. Some think being bullied is the same as a woman being dragged behind a building, having her cloths ripped off, and forced to have sex. Okay, I guess having a drunk chick tease you is about the same level. When I was a kid on a bus in Oakland a guy came up behind me and rubbed up against me, I moved away as soon as I could. The difference is I never considered it rape, never let it bother me the rest of my life either, like I said, some people are victims and others are not.
Terry Veckey
View Profile
Regular user
Medford, Or. U.S.A.
140 Posts

Profile of Terry Veckey
Quote:
On 2009-07-08 10:19, Slartibartfast wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-08 06:38, Terry Veckey wrote:
When someone (male or female) is bullied or beaten or sexually assaulted (verbally or physically) it's all a form of rape.

Ummm.... Huh?

Definition ( I removed the ones concerning sexual intercourse.) :
rape1
–noun

4. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.
5. Archaic. the act of seizing and carrying off by force.

–verb (used with object) 7. to plunder ; despoil.
8. to seize, take, or carry off by force.

Quote:
On 2009-07-08 10:39, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Not all violations are equivalent.

I'm with Santa. Being humiliated and violated and terrorized are all awful. But there is good reason to believe that sexual assault has a different quality to it than most other violations.

Of course it's different!
Note the words "form of" and "degrees of injury"

[/quote]
First, I have talked to women who have been raped. In fact, I've trained former victims in self-defense. Unfortunately, the feelings are very much the same. When someone (male or female) is bullied or beaten or sexually assaulted (verbally or physically) it's all a form of rape.
It's a train wreck. Yes, there are degrees of injury; But it was a wreck none the less.
[/quote]

Quote:
On 2009-07-08 10:39, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
More importantly, Michael's story doesn't need this analogy and the discussion doesn't need this argument.

John

Well, I believe Michaels story IS this analogy.
I believe the discussion needs this argument and could possibly be (IS) one of the more important discussions on the forum; If only to prevent this type of thing from happening to someone else.

Quote:
Most of the responses in this thread have given Michaelmystic2003 some pretty good advice. However, knowing what to do and doing it are two different things. Much like doing magic tricks, you have to train (rehearse, practice).

I got more on this. I'll be back in a minute.

Terry V.
-The Lesser Known-
<BR>Terry Veckey
<BR>-"There is no place for laughter in magic." B.Martin-
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
I'm....speechless. Anyone that can equate 5 minutes of taunting by a drunk chick to being raped is not someone that I can reason with. I'm bowing out of this discussion now.

Santa - be careful what you say. If you make Michael feel bad about himself you might be accused of raping him as well.
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
In fairness, it was Terry Vickey who introduced the idea to the thread. And the experience he related was far worse than Michael's. But my support for Santa's position still stands.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
I didn't mention the truly personal things that happened, as I stated earlier. They are embarassing and, well, personal.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
You know I hate to come off as arrogant as I was not there and its very easy to say what one would do but until you are thrust into a situation one never knows what they will do. So with that being said it would have been best to smash the bigger of the 2 guys. During this sudden shock, you could have taken advantage of the shock and dropped the 2nd tough guy which would have only left the girl. Then it would be her on a forumn feeling horrible instead of you.You now say embarassing and personal other things happened and it irritates me that these mutts get away with this,taking advantage of a 3 on 1 situation and not as much as even getting a brick to the face. Michael, put it behind you and forget about it. Its over and be thankfull you were not seriously hurt physically.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Chicken.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Terry Veckey
View Profile
Regular user
Medford, Or. U.S.A.
140 Posts

Profile of Terry Veckey
Quote:
On 2009-07-08 17:40, Slartibartfast wrote:
I'm....speechless. Anyone that can equate 5 minutes of taunting by a drunk chick to being raped is not someone that I can reason with. I'm bowing out of this discussion now.

Santa - be careful what you say. If you make Michael feel bad about himself you might be accused of raping him as well.

G'bye.
BTW, it was not merely a "taunting by a drunk chick". By his first account, she had 2 drunk thugs with her.

Also, YOUR Signature: If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual --
speaks volumns as to your lack of understanding.

Quote:
On 2009-07-08 18:09, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
In fairness, it was Terry Vickey who introduced the idea to the thread. And the experience he related was far worse than Michael's. But my support for Santa's position still stands.

John

It's Terry VECKEY. You don't have to agree but get the billing right, lol.
-The Lesser Known-
<BR>Terry Veckey
Terry Veckey
View Profile
Regular user
Medford, Or. U.S.A.
140 Posts

Profile of Terry Veckey
In my second post on this thread I opened with "Well now, here we go."
Well, now, here we are!
I wrote "When someone (male or female) is bullied or beaten or sexually assaulted (verbally or physically) it's all a form of rape." Note "FORM".

I also wrote "I feel that either I'm being bullied or Michaelmystic2003 is, or both and we are being ridiculed for having a traumatic experience.
I hope I'm wrong..."

Apparently I wasn't wrong.

We have a naked guy in bed calling names.

A few fellows who don't see a problem with a "drunk chick" assaulting a guy. (I can picture them telling a victim "What's the problem? Lay back and enjoy it."

Some who think that it's only rape if it's a woman who's the victim and then only if she's "being dragged behind a building, having her cloths ripped off, and forced to have sex." Since his interest are listed as "magic and women" He no doubt feels that using drugs or alcohol is O.K.

A poor guy that was a victim of a sexual assault as a kid says it never bothered him, yet still remembers the incident, and still doesn't recognize or admit that it was, indeed, a sexual assault.

Still more who confuse being a bully with NOT being a victim.

All I'm trying to tell Michael and anyone else that is interested is go get TRAINING in self-defense. I recommend Aikido.

Terry Veckey
-The Lesser Known-
<BR>Terry Veckey
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Oh geez, one of those guys who looks for expanded definitions to defend an indefensable position. Here is the legal definition of rape and also, amazingly outside of Medford, common usage:

A criminal offense defined in most states as forcible sexual relations with a person against that person's will.

I offered advice and never ridiculed Michael. I do advise he get use to being victimized because from what I've seen upset him this will be a life long issue for him. Just imagine the torture and torment, likely equated to murder in Oregon, Michael would have gone through had the drunk chick licked his binder. Lastly take all the Aikido and whatever you want, still won't do you any good if you are fearful of fighting.

Wait, one more thing, I remember most events in my life after the age of, say, four, this is because I have a functioning memory. Not every memory exist because it has a carry over effect. Want to know what, when, where, and what she had on when I met a girl named Kim in 1976? How about the first time I heard the Woodstock album in 1973? Want to know what street I was walking on when Patty Hearst got arrested? What about when the Mansons Murders took place? I recall when that happened as well and I was a kid and didn't even take part in the killings....
Xaethia
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of Xaethia
As people have mentioned: be confident. Walk confidently with your chin up. However, don't be over-confident (this can also 'provoke' [provoke meaning being a target of] them).
When traped by a male/s, kicking them in the balls may be unhonourable but will defend you if retreating (running away) doesn't work.
"Technique beats skill. Psychology beats technique. Philosophy beats all. Think about it." CrdShk
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Though I have no clue how to say his name (her name?) I like this Xaethia.

I learned from a Hells Angel (a fine group of men by the way) that you hit 'em three ways if you feel they are after you, that would be fast, hard, and continuosly (sp). In fact he said not to let 'em get past "I'm gonna ki..".

We had a guy in the Navy named Yuck, that was his nickname because a guy walked up to him in a bar and just clocked him and when we pulled him off the hitter said "I don't know why I did that, I looked at him and had to hit him, he is just a...just a... yuck-a-f**k" and the name stuck. That dude was hated by people on sight, some guys just put off that vibe.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Two two thug guys were trying to touch me inappropriately, ok?
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You said that earlier kid. They were messing with your head. This is how it likely happened. You were walking down the street looking like a terrified little kid, maybe you had your beret on, the drunks saw you and the girl made a joking comment that clearly, from your own statement, wasn't a threat or anything it was poking fun at you. You reacted in a manner which opened yourself up for more toying with, you again acted like a mouse caught by a cat. They then played at grabbing you. Drunks are stupid like that. You, Michael, have a problem with being a wuss. It is a problem only you can solve and people have advised you on how to resolve it, you can do something about it and change or you can not. I personally believe you will not change and will forever be a victim because you seem to enjoy, at some level, that roll. Also they likely were not thugs just drunks. The girl told you the guy was harmless and the other guy was laughing, the situation could have easily been defused. So either change your view on life or prepare for more of the same, everyone chooses the path they take.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2009-07-08 21:08, Xaethia wrote:
As people have mentioned: be confident. Walk confidently with your chin up. However, don't be over-confident (this can also 'provoke' [provoke meaning being a target of] them).
When traped by a male/s, kicking them in the balls may be unhonourable but will defend you if retreating (running away) doesn't work.

Not only will it be unhonourable but it will be very ineffective. They will be up in 30 seconds with enough andrenalin running through their veins to kill you.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
You have to be careful nowadays. Not like it used to be where two men could square off and take care of business. Thugs pull knives and guns these days and kill for hardly nothing. Its a shame.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
In the old days in NYC, one of the best defenses against an impending mugging was to start talking to yourself out loud--people would assume you were some crazy schizo not to be messed with.

Now they just assume you're talking on your cell phone, and it makes you more of a target. Smile

Michael I PM'd you.

Jack
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2009-07-09 11:44, abc wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-08 21:08, Xaethia wrote:

Not only will it be unhonourable but it will be very ineffective. They will be up in 30 seconds with enough andrenalin running through their veins to kill you.

Not in my experience...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Jack has a point. In San Jose we had one homeless guy who was not real stable around most people and every so often he'd attack traffic and get sent for a mental eval and they would feed him and clean him up then he'd go back out and do his thing. I knew the guy was a bit off because my brother, who was homeless, knew him etc., so I kept an eye on him when I was around the homeless area. One day I'm out with the wife the nutty guy jumps out from behind a building and just yells at me incoherently! I turn to him and I take the same pose and yell back the same way! He stops and says "have a good day sir" and walked off bummed out.

Here you go lil' Michael, next time just respond while looking upward "Dear god, please don't let me kill again!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Terrifying Experience (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL