The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Gaffed Coin Price (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
518 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Hey guys,
Yesterday I contacted one of the top coin gaffers, of whom I will not disclose any names but anyway, I inquired about the price and availability for a custom 'soft' Morgan Dollar Shell set. I was given the price of $425. I thought Morgan shell sets went for about $300 or so. Do you guys think $425 is a lot for this kind of set or is that the going price? Thanks.

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1276 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Depends what you mean by "custom". If you're asking for all the same dates and patina with an unexpanded shell and four cut-down coins, I can see that costing more than an expanded, varied date Morgan sst. Call the other gaffer and see what price you get.
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
575 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
With the demand and the challenge of finding four well matched soft morgans... I would say it's reasonable, and if you plan on using them, well worth it...

Pete
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
And to think each coin was once only worth a dollar! Smile
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
518 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Rutabaga,
The set I inquired about was a Morgan Dollar Shell set (shell with four matching coins), no matching dates or cut-down coins. And yes I agree with you, had there been some 'extras' involved I could understand the higher price.

Pete, I think what you stated about the challenge of finding well matched soft Morgans as well as the demand does make a lot of sense. I just thought that price was a bit high, having seen these sets go for around $300. I fully understand and have some awareness of the time and detail involved in making these coins and I have no problem paying good money for quality work. I just wanted to throw this out to the Café members who know a lot more about custom gaffed coins than I do.

I'm going to reach out to the other coin gaffer and get a price quote. I'm ready to make this purchase, I just don't want to pay more than I should. Ruta/Pete, thanks for your response guys!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
When I got my first one from one of the major gaffers five years four or five years ago, it was $300.00. I'm sure that the higher price is partly just an increase over time.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1019 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Not sure who is asking that much, but the standard price on an expanded soft Morgan set is $300 from my favorite gaffer. I have paid $425 for an unexpanded shell set with four remilled coins PLUS a matching locking sliding shell.
CamisBoss
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of CamisBoss
Interesting... I bought an expanded set with unmatched dates, soft patina, used off the sale forums here about 5 or 6 months ago. It's a Schoolcraft set. I got it for $200.
Judah Vee
View Profile
Special user
of the JV Naughty Vanish....
881 Posts

Profile of Judah Vee
I bought my set from Mark Mason and Bob Swadling...... I called Mark and had him match a flipper to the shell set as well...you might try him... my set was $225.(not including the flipper) Heres a link:

https://vault2.secured-url.com/jbtv/usa/......?id=1997

Poof!

-J-
I don't care how fast or slow you are.... As long as I am faster.. -J-
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
518 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Well gentlemen,
I called the 'other' top coin gaffer and after multiple attempts I finally got a hold of him. Turns out he has a few Morgan shell sets available ready to ship and quoted me $300 for the set (plus shipping). So, I'll be sending him a check tomorrow and wait patiently for my Morgans to arrive!

Judah,
I checked out that site, those Mason Morgans look hot! What's the quality of those coins like? At $225, I'd snatch a set or two if the workmanship was good!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
gilttrip
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of gilttrip
It's very easy to make all your coins match. Soak them in bleach till they are black. After they are dry use some paste wax and steel wool and lightly rub the high points on the surface. Do them all lightly at first till you get the patina you like. But what do I know.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
It's always scary to try to adjust the patina of coins. I recently bought a Lassen sh**l and five matching coin set of Victorian Pennies for $80.00. These coins were all from 1900 and before and were very dark. I carefully used Weiman metal polish to bring shine to the high points. They came out beautfully. I just keep looking at them and saying "Wow, these are awesome". Now if I could only come up with a routine I like! David Neighbors has been helping me find something within my ability. I have some great soft Morgans and hope to get a matching sh**l someday.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
If I read this right, you ordered an expanded shell and 3-4 unmatched coins?
Why not just a shell for 120-150 then head to the local coin shop with shell in hand? The average price (based on silver prices) from the "cull" box is 12 to 20 bucks each! You should be able to get 4 of matching date and patina (or age em yourself) coins that fit and match your gaff!

If my math is correct it should run ya between $180-210.00 (if you get the reg. coins at $15 a piece)!

Just my thoughts on the matter,

MMc
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8725 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I don't use gaffed coins that much but I guess price is relative. I was just thinking of Mick's comment about them once just being worth a $1. Smile

Clearly these gaffed coins/sets are great works but I have found that most times if coins look pretty much alike that they are considered by specs to look the same. And once they begin following the magic, their minds do not follow dates and slight differences in patina, etc. Just my view.

I know magicians like things nice and neat and orderly and they like to collect things but I don't know, seems a bit of overkill at times IMHO. But this is coming from the guy that prefers the 50 cent cup of coffee from the cart on the street over the $5 Latte from Starbucks. I suppose both have there place...in us. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Quote:
On 2009-07-07 11:47, MickeyPainless wrote:
And to think each coin was once only worth a dollar! Smile

True, but five dollars back then probably went farther than $425.00 today.
Wes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Gaffed Coin Price (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL