The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Charisma Enigma... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Rick West
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
243 Posts

Profile of Rick West
Charisma...

Some showmen and most performers have some if not plenty
of charisma. I had a friend in college, Griff, who had this gift.
He would walk into a room full of people who were busy with
different tasks and everyone would stop what they were going
and turn toward Griff giving him their full attention. He
wasn’t doing anything to attract their attention, just standing
by the door. If I went out to eat with him or to a movie it was
always the same. People were attracted to him like a cat to
a bowl of milk. He had something, something special.

During our senior semester, Griff got married. When he got
back from a short honeymoon he dropped by the art studio.
When he came in no one noticed...they didn’t stop what they
were doing...they didn’t even acknowledged him! It seems
that I was the only one who noticed something had changed.
It wasn’t just this one time either...whatever it was had
vanished.

I ran into Griff, in New Mexico many years later. He was now
selling life insurance and living in a condo in Albuquerque .
He read a story in the newspaper about the Giant Horse, Hog, and
Steer I was showing at the fair. So he came out to the fairgrounds
to look me up. As we were reminiscing, I asked him about the
charisma enigma. It was all kind of foggy to him.
He couldn’t explain it.

I never told Griff this...I thought the wife sucked up all his
charisma.

Rick West
"Never let the truth stand in the way of a good jackpot"

"You say things sometimes, you don't know what the hell you mean. But you're sincere when you say it." Bob Dylan
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7170 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Sexual energy. Very astute...very real. (also well written. Smile )
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Rick West
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
243 Posts

Profile of Rick West
I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this phenomenon,
where a person has a lot of charisma one day and hocus
pokus it's gone forever the next. I found it amazing...
real black magic.

"You say things sometimes, you don't know what the hell you mean. But you're sincere when you say it." Bob Dylan
Rick West
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
243 Posts

Profile of Rick West
Can you buy it...steal it...earn it...learn it?

Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I know it can be lost. Not sure about learned. I learned allot from lessons from many teachers in my life. And it could be a primal sexual energy that one could lose after settling down.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8517 Posts

Profile of funsway
Read Nina's Book by Eugene Burdick for a shocking
view of sexual Charisma.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7170 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Yes...I've 'seen' it from several angles. You can't buy it...steal it or learn it...but you sure can lose it.
Rick West
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
243 Posts

Profile of Rick West
Looks...charm...an additude...what is this attract we are talking about?
I'm not convinced it can't be learned. We seem to be in agreement on one
point...it can be lost.

Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
I've actually experienced the exact opposite; now that I'm secure in a strong and committed relationship--and unavailable--women seem more interested in me. Figures.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2903 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2009-07-09 00:19, Stephon wrote:
I've actually experienced the exact opposite; now that I'm secure in a strong and committed relationship--and unavailable--women seem more interested in me. Figures.

Swami,
This is the wrong thread for that. We are talking about charisma, not self-delusion.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Quote:
On 2009-07-08 17:30, Doug Higley wrote:
Sexual energy. Very astute...very real. (also well written. Smile )

And highly debateable! The old wives tale about forcing football players to stay abstinent before a game actually has been shown to be backwards. Sex releases a lot of hromones and causes brain activity that is helpful during stressful situations. Heck, it's a stress reliever to begin with (maybe its due to the stress of TRYING to get some). Anyway, time for debate! (Or is it de-bait?)
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7170 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
What does abstaining have to do with anything?

It's about the 'connection'...and the 'presence' that facilitates that connection.
Sophia Loren comes to mind.

There are scrawny Lions and Regal Lions.

ie: the opposite...as in Rosanne, who can enter a room and cause instant soft ons.

Another element is the illusion or delusion of the reciever who goes into fantasy mode when a certain person enters or approaches. Chris Mathews getting a thrill up his leg for example.

Angalina Jolie comes to mind...more women think her giant swolen lips are sexier than most men do (Not too many men get Lip jobs) and tend to purse or jut out their lips when feeling frisky and working a room.

Rather than 'learned'...it can be 'created'...Tom Selleck entering that room has a lot more going for him than great 'looks'...

Mystery has a lot to do with it. ('Who is that guy/girl over there in the corner?')

An air of 'availability' can work in some situations when accompanied by other elements. Stature, looks, attitude...equals Expectation..

Midgets rarely get the Aura.

Stephon: You are SAFER now. Same reason some women hang with gay men...they can let down defences.

There is also the air of Authority. If you were ever around Vincent Price you would have seen a master at work. When he entered a room EVERYTHING stopped. He could have held up a piece of aluminum siding and sold it to the homeless.

The initial intake of air of everyone realizing they were in the presence of SOMEBODY...was soon enforced by his graciousness and humility when in conversation but he still held that air of Royalty. It was amazing. Sammy Davis Jr. had it from sheer ENERGY...Dean Martin was just total COOL, yet the smile inviting and not off putting.

Learning? Pop a piece of gum in your mouth...slightly bob your head and be 'The Fonz'...this requires an air of being in 'Control'.

Smell good. Stinky Celebs only work their magic on FILM. (out of range)

Look good in your clothes. Arnold Stang in a Cowboy suit is still a shlump...compare to Tom Selleck in full western gear. (See 'Quigley Down Under' just before he steps off the boat in the opening scene.)
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Doug: exactly.
Todd: ouch. ;^)
Nippulini: Italian plural for many small nipples.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Are you suggesting that Nipps has a quality vs quantity issue? Go ahead, milk it for all it's worth!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Rick West
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
243 Posts

Profile of Rick West
Thanks Doug...excellent observations.

mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
I might have an idea to share about the Charisma Engine. I had a buddy in college a bit ago who had something similar he did.

He said he would pick some movie star and totally, completely imagine he was that person. He claimed that the girls would pick up on that and react to him as though he were a celebrity.

It worked great for him and he came off as charismatic and sexy. It didn't work for me. I tried pretending I was Doug Higley...nothing.

Perhaps the Charisma Engine gets turned on in your mind and you just have to find a way to do it.
abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
Doug wrote:
There is also the air of Authority. If you were ever around Vincent Price you would have seen a master at work. When he entered a room EVERYTHING stopped. He could have held up a piece of aluminum siding and sold it to the homeless.

I remember the time I stopped Vincent Price in his tracks. Was in downtown San Jose sitting in the lobby of a once great hotel. I and others were killing some time before a planned event. For that occasion, I was dressed in a white tux with tails and top hat. I was a master of ceremonies for something or another at SJSU. Anyway, in comes Vincent Price. Once he saw me, HE STOPPED... I politely said in that deep voice of mine, (even back then), Good Evening Mr. Price. He feebly replied and then fumbled with the elevator controls and quickly left the lobby.. What a Hoot!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7170 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
He must have been very old and Ill. I knew him in the early 60's. Different Cat.
But in your case it might have been the comical visage you presented...he had consumate taste. Smile
abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
I think he was taken aback at seeing someone dressed as such. Around 1985--still some years before he died. But, yeah, I think it was the shock of seeing such a scene. I was around 28, still military fit and about his height, (within an inch anyway). He had an open shirt and slacks, was looking a bit long in the tooth come to think about it.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7170 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
He had earned a lengthy tooth by then...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Charisma Enigma... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL