The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pardon me, sir... » » Cheap watches? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

arios0
View Profile
New user
Lexington, KY
89 Posts

Profile of arios0
I would like to get a variety of watches to practice with. Where could I get some cheap watches with various types of bands?
rizyanrizy
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of rizyanrizy
In indonesia we call it "pasar loak" , or a shop that sells used things (hoho bad english, sorry)
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
A barber shop, where the owner repairs wathces on the side. Or simply a watch repair or Jewlery shop that might have some watches that were un-repairable or repaired --but never re-claimed by the owner.

Or, just work the street and they're yours for the takin' lol Smile

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
arios0
View Profile
New user
Lexington, KY
89 Posts

Profile of arios0
Lol thanks I guess I will look for watch repair places and calls some jewelry shops.

I have been doing busking but don't think I will get watches that way Smile. I have seen that you perfected your skills jlevey on the streets. You sir are very brave which almost makes me want to try it what can a few weeks in jail do to me. lol.

However, I am sure when you were out there what would you do if most the people have jeans or do not have enough in there pockets? I think it would be more playable on the street if I gave them a jacket which could make it less risky on the street by stealing items I have them put in the jacket.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
ArioS0...

Jail is "not" worth the risk. Be careful, and be warned... however, I will try to share a bit more my own experience and perspective in the hope you and a few others on this forum will find it helpful.

...In the mid-1980's when I first started working the streets, I was always sure to find a few leather band watches from amongst the crowd. Nowadays, this no longer seems sure shot since many people (young and old) seem to go for the metal type bands which I have learned to stay away from (not worth the risk). Still all you need is "one" leather band watch in the crowd. And/or the "older" folks (50+) in the crowd "often" have glasses protruding out of their sport coat pockets, and the even "older" Smile "gents" might have a hanky! (a way of dress that is simply unheard of in the younger crowds today). Wallets are fine, but your performing persona must be to portray (IMHO) a very larger than life "character" (in mannerisms, personality and dress --ie. hat) so as not to confuse the audience and your potential "victims" with the possibility that you are a "real thief" in sheep's clothing making a "real steal". If the crowd has any doubt that you are there to entertain them (only), then you are toast and could be "caught" by an honest bystander who calls attention to you just as you are going to make the steal in order to "catch you red-handed in the act of (what he/she) thinks is real thievery (they may even shout for the police to come to intervene) --before you get the chance to apologize and explain you are only an "actor" portraying a pickpocket personality, "not" a real pickpocket. So you are right, it takes guts --or perhaps (as I was) naivety, to think you can get away with including the pickpocket element in your street shows , without risk. I was lucky. My persona was obviously that of a character there to entertain, not really thieve. IN any case , you do this at your own risk with the chance to practice often throughout the day (so the payoff is big). If you have any concerns, or the pockets of your volunteers are tight because of the style of jeans nowadays, consider "put-pocketing" as the way to go (or as a "back-up"). After-all, you can't get arrested for stealing your own stuff (btw, I use to mark my own bills with my stage name to avoid accusations).

You could also "lend" a spectator a nice leather watchband (assuming he wears no watch) and ask him/her pre-show to keep time of your performance during your shows. They will likely comply and if you stress the value of the watch you are lending to them as you strap it (discretely) around his wrist, when it goes missing during your show and you ask for it back, if he is an "animated" person, he will respond with surprise and concern accordingly --making the Pickpocket element work. In closing, I should repeat, be careful and aware that if you genuinely steal watches from the public during your public street shows, you do so at your own risk. And you should know very confidently , ahead of time, how you will react if accused openly in public that you stole someone's money or watch, even if you did not (or even if you did --but it was part of the "act").

Hope the above helps give you some ides on ways to proceed with learning the art of the steal and the art of performance, and (at the very least) adds some valuable perspective for further consideration.

Jonathan
Jonathan
arios0
View Profile
New user
Lexington, KY
89 Posts

Profile of arios0
I want you to know I would just want to steal stuff as part of the show. I doubt I would risk doing an all out pickpocket routine or stealing many thinhs. However, I can see lending them a watch and asking them to keep track of the time then stealing the watch could work great. Another idea is asking them to wear a jacket that I may use in a show for a thumb tie act and having them wear it. I may put a few trinkets in there I say are important to me so and don't want to leave them on the ground then take or something along those lines.
Kukushka
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Kukushka
I recommend that you send an email (or visit in shop) and ask if shop keeper can store some different kind of broken watches (and watchbands) what you can buy in cheap price away. Otherwise I think they just sell spare parts what they can and throw other parts away...

Typically merchants do not do charity and give anything away for free... So it is good thing offer some money right away. Then they are just happy that you buy some worthless stuff. Smile
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
In Canada, Salvation Army , Gooddwill stores, often sell watch type items at low cost.
Jonathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pardon me, sir... » » Cheap watches? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL