The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mind Reading + Precognition (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pablo_Amira
View Profile
Special user
Temuco, Chile
682 Posts

Profile of Pablo_Amira
I mean.. do an effect when your read the mind ,and after reveal a precognition element.
F.E:
I created an effect where a spectator freely select a song, and next I revealed , But next I revealed a cd that he/she was hold out has 1 song only, and was the thought song.

its mind reading and next precognition

What do you think about this?

well... concentrate... I will read your thoughts....
well...
tell me better ;D

bye
-------------------------------------------
Asombro...lo más elevado a que puede llegar el hombre

Johann Wolfgang Goethe
Pablo_Amira
View Profile
Special user
Temuco, Chile
682 Posts

Profile of Pablo_Amira
Maybe its a record
89 views... 0 posts

;D

Johann Wolfgang Goethe
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1246 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Maybe they're having trouble understanding what you're asking.

I get you... but my answer is "NO." I would never do that. If I can read someone's mind and then prove I would be able to do it, the effects seem to contradict each other. I also believe than most intelligent audience members would then immediately realize there was a force. Even if their wasn't one, that is what combining these two effects seems to imply.
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
I think it would be cooler if instead of revealing the song by stating something like, "Your song is...yadda yadda yadda," and then revealing the CD you would just smile and suddenly the song starts playing over the PA or a portable CD player.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2324 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Pearljamjeff is correct, in my opinion. Doing both in the same effect is not logical, no matter how clever the final revelation is.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
aldiamo
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of aldiamo
Sometimes, if you claim to be psychic, people think that you have all of the powers, including clarivoyance, precognition, telkinesis, etc...
Sting
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Sting
Quote:
On 2009-07-11 23:15, Taboo wrote:
Sometimes, if you claim to be psychic, people think that you have all of the powers, including clarivoyance, precognition, telkinesis, etc...

Yeah but if you put in any effort whatsoever in reading their minds, it will all seem like just an act when you show you had predicted it beforehand anyway, negating any need for a struggle to obtain the information. I mean, maybe it's possible to do both but I think it's a bet of a stretch. I wouldn't do it.
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
668 Posts

Profile of Alel
I agree, it is illogical...

BUT Derren Brown pulled it off during his 'Evening of Wonders' and 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' stage show. You can see how the combination of the two works great..

You might want to check out Andrew Brown's 'Clairvoyant Card' and see how Mr. Brown took these two premises and make them work together. I personally like it. Using the presentation, its stopped to be illogical.

I believe Aaron DeLong's brilliant routine 'Believe' also falls into this category. There is a YouTube video of Paul Vigil performing this in a TV show. Look it up. Smile

Its a rather clever approach if you ask me. You bsically get two applause cues...They certainly can't withdraw their amazement and the applause they gave during the supposedly telepathy part of the routine which you later 'debunked'.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6682 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
The reason it doesn't make sense to us is that we know what precognition means and what clairvoyance means, etc. The audience just sees it all as strange stuff. We do strange and weird stuff. They don't see the difference.

For instance, some say that you should only exhibit one or two powers at most. Great for them, but regular people see all the powers as just one thing: strange stuff. Uri was known for his bending, but he did drawing dupes, PK, telepathy, remote viewing, etc. All strange stuff. Regular people don't see the difference.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
romeosierra
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of romeosierra
Quote:
On 2009-07-12 00:44, Alel wrote:
I agree, it is illogical...

BUT Derren Brown pulled it off during his 'Evening of Wonders' and 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' stage show. You can see how the combination of the two works great..

You might want to check out Andrew Brown's 'Clairvoyant Card' and see how Mr. Brown took these two premises and make them work together. I personally like it. Using the presentation, its stopped to be illogical.

I believe Aaron DeLong's brilliant routine 'Believe' also falls into this category. There is a YouTube video of Paul Vigil performing this in a TV show. Look it up. Smile

Its a rather clever approach if you ask me. You bsically get two applause cues...They certainly can't withdraw their amazement and the applause they gave during the supposedly telepathy part of the routine which you later 'debunked'.

This post took the words out of my mouth. From a structural standpoint, you get the benefit of (2) audience responses for the price of one. I think professionals would agree that many clients base the success of your talent off the audience feedback. Although I don't particularly agree with the contradiction of the two genres for reasons already mentioned, I still incorporate similar effects into my own stage work simply because I know I can squeeze more out of the audience.

Paul Harris' Overkill was one of my favorite card tricks as a kid. Although it was (obviously) based off a string of forces, I still think people thoroughly enjoyed the impossibility of the overall effect. It combined mindreading with precognition with sheer chance. I believe that if you add an element of drama to your piece, people will appreciate and respond fondly to it regardless of its illogical nature.

With regards to your particular effect, I recommend using time misdirection between the two reveals, much like what Derren Brown does on his own stage shows. After apparently reading individuals' minds, he goes into other routines and then ends the show with a string of hard-hitting predictions. The time misdirection makes the effect feel more spontaneous and separate from its original phase so that others won't immediately link the two together. I think it plays better this way.

RS.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -- Mark Twain
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Hey Pablo Smile

I have an effect called 'Number One Hit' that sounds similar... only in the sense that it uses song titles (not a new idea I am sure)... and a second reveal.

Although your effect differs in presentation, and probably method, there is absolutely a way to present your effect so the use of mind reading and pre cognition blends nicely.

Its all about your presentation and making the second reveal feel natural to an audience. Get creative with the story you use to present it and you will find a way.... just make it as entertaining as you can.

'Bums on seats laddy's.. bums on seats'

Good luck mate.

Paul
Pablo_Amira
View Profile
Special user
Temuco, Chile
682 Posts

Profile of Pablo_Amira
Thanks for your idea namesake! ;D

Johann Wolfgang Goethe
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It's done all the time in presentations of "Mental Epic," the Hen Fetsch variety. The first two collected are based on what's in the spectator's mind. The last is a prediction of an event that hasn't even happened yet (like the "free" selection of a playing card). You CAN play it as if all three are predictions of future events, but there is no harm in sorting out your power to penetrate thoughts with your power to prognosticate.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mind Reading + Precognition (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL