The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » First magic show since I was 14! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
And I'm 56 years old. I've loved magic since I was 8. I love watching magic. I've dabbled all this time, but only to show a trick or two to friends or relatives. I've collected a number of tricks over the years, but never really put any of them into any type of routine.

Well that changed last week when my rabbi asked me to put on a show--I had showed him a trick or two and about a year ago he asked if I could ever put on a show. I said yes. I figured I would have a month to put an act together. It wound up I had a week!

Well I created a character--Professor Dreykup (Yiddish for "crazy head"). The show was for a Jewish day camp. There were about 24 kids, 5 to 11 years old. 4 adults and 4 junior counselors. My act lasted about 45 minutes. I learned plenty--

--I dealt with all the usual kid's party stuff, "I know that trick", the 5 year old who keeps walking to the front, a swirl of kids who keep raising their hands, etc.

--Magic is hard work, I was sweating and slightly losing it near the end

--I'm good, I give myself about an 89 and the staff gave me a 100. I fooled the adults about 95% and entertained the children about 90%.

I have to give a huge credit to Silly Billy's books. I really took to heart the, "It's not the destination it's the journey" principle. For example I turned the monkey bars into a jungle hunt for the rare green monkey. I used a box with a jungle theme on it instead of the old behind the back technique. I wore a cheap plastic safari hat and had a jungle ape sound in the box. For a 4 ball spongeball routine I told the story of Adam and Eve and their 2 sons.

In addition big credit goes to Brad Burt's spongeball tape from which I got the routine. Mark Wilson's book in which I used the cut and restored rope and also his ropes through coat which became Two Ropes and A Rabbi. And Samuel Patrick Smith linking routine from the Greater Magic Linking Rings DVD.

I tried to bring my own personality to all these routines, but with short notice I could only do so much.

Now comes the hard work, reviewing what I did, refining, and PRACTICING more.

Thanks for listening.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Congratulations, Youngster!

You are hooked again!

Enjoy your magic!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
See, us old folks are good for something! Congratulations on your success. Bet you're looking for another show to do.

Jim
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Quote:
On 2009-07-10 09:25, jimhlou wrote:
See, us old folks are good for something! Congratulations on your success. Bet you're looking for another show to do.

Jim

True that. (Trying to sound young).
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Guess you can teach an "old" dog new tricks Smile
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
Growing older = mandatory
Growing Up = OPTIONAL!!!
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I love hearing stories like this. Great to know that you had the courage to go for it. I hope you do a load more of them - it sounds like you have a talent.
A man I know dabbled in magic all his life, but it was only a hobby, because he ran a very successful business. He always said that when he retired he would start doing magic professionally. He didn't seem much good, and no one believed him.
But he hit 65, began advertising, and soon had a solid business. And he surprised us all by being very good. There could be a whole new world waiting for you. Tony.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » First magic show since I was 14! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL