The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Mark Parker's New Illusion Book (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
The quality of this book is no illusion, I can only recommend it highly!
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Now I have had the time to study the book a bit more.

Like I allready said, its a beautiful book. The illustrations really make you want to build all the props. A few of the pics I would personally like to have framed on my wall!

Now lets take a look at the illusions. Here's a quick list.

Body Builder
Appearence of an assistant from a very interesting apparatus.

Hiding Place
Its a desk! With the power to produce a person. And oh, so deceptive...

95% Gone!
An audience participation illusion, where a volunter disappears....or 95% of her.

EMB
Very clever sword box idea. If you like innocent props, this is your piece!

Asrah Table
Name says it all. New slim look of a classic prop.

Abdomen
Assistant's appear from the performer's stomach on a very, very nice and extremely deceptive table.

Dissolve
Assistant dissolves gradually to vanish completely.

Vivisectioned
Mark's take on the classic.

Sanction
Sort of "escape gone bad" where magician gets skewered only to vanish and re-appear.

Motorbike
Appearing motorcycle with a very open apparatus. No walls. Nothing comes from backstage. Very deceptive piece.

Everyone's mouth is watering yet? Good.

Now be warned. This is not a book of blueprints. Also these illusions are not simple to build, save for asrah table. There is no great detail like you'd find in Steinmeyer's books. There's no patter which makes the illusion perfect. Mark's philosophy regarding magic is very apparent when you read this book. He challenges the reader and aspiring builder to really think about these illusions and their presentation. Because you need to understand the illusion.

I highly recommend this book. The ideas are great and presented in a very fine form.
Sent from my Typewriter
MrPrestoHypno
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of MrPrestoHypno
Thanks for sharing that, Awesome!

I should of paid extra to over night the book.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Trust me, its worth the wait!
Sent from my Typewriter
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
The book is wonderful, as expected, but why on earth would they ship such an expensive, hardback book from Singapore in an ENVELOPE?!?!?!
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
MrPrestoHypno
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of MrPrestoHypno
Yep I agree why would they ship something of this caliber they way they did?

The book is very nice and worth the money.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
It's sad when beautiful things are sent poorly. I remember ordering a copy of Bro John Hamman's book. It was actually delivered in a clear plastic big from the post office.

Why? In shipment it must have been dropped and kicked or something because the bubble envelope it was in got SHREDDED. The plastic bag had the book and the envelope shreds in it. I was in shock!

Fortunately the book was unscathed!

I lucked out, but this should not happen. I am surprised there aren't book boxes or mailers, seeing as books are pretty standard for sizing it would make sense to have these types of boxes available.

Still waiting on my book...

J
ARNOMAGIE
View Profile
Regular user
France
200 Posts

Profile of ARNOMAGIE
The same for me (broken edges)...
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1348 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Mark is a good guy, just contact him directly for questions or issues.
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
markparker
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
350 Posts

Profile of markparker
Let me break tradition and chime into to the Café here.

lots of books have shipped out all around the globe in bubble padded mailing envelopes not just 'an envelope' without any issues. I have mailed out many books in my time without issues and a bubble padded mailing envelope has served me well its very protective and practical.

If anyone has damage send me pictures and I will resolve it.

Clinton do you have a damaged book? or just commenting on the mailing packaging?

I really hope you enjoy the contents and welcome comments on this thread relating to them.

If anyone has any issues please feel free to email me at markparker1@mac.com
http://www.illusion-designer.com - Bespoke Illusion design - Publications -Show consultancy....Vivify a collection of stage illusions limited edition of 500 copies available now.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Banged corners and edges, but no serious damage. Hardback books and envelopes just don't seem to be ideally compatible.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
I received my copy today and it is in excellent condition! There's not a mark on it. I've only had a chance to open it to the first few pages to see that I got number 32. Hopefully I'll get to start reading tonight. Still hoping I'll get lucky in the drawing after the first 100 have been sold (if they haven't already). Thanks for the book Mark!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have been thinking about my earlier post, and I owe Mark a public apology. Whatever my issues with the shipping of his new book, I should have taken it up with him privately, rather than in a public forum.

Truth is, I have Mark's first book and bought his "Vivisectioned" PDF notes, so it only took one reading of the advertisement for "Vivify" for me to immediately place my order. After receiving the book, it is everything I expected it to be. The artwork is beautiful, and the descriptions and performance suggestions are thorough. The original illusions in the book are cutting-edge, as are the re-works of existing ideas.

If you care anything about grand illusion and illusion design, you need this book from one of the masters of the craft.

I will be at the front of the line to purchase whatever Mark publishes in the future.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Mine came yesterday. It arrived in an "envelope" it was wrapped in bubblewrap and there wasn't a single mark on it.

If a corner isn't perfectly square you can't possibly be upset about it. Books from Barnes and Noble or Amazon or anywhere really have a good chance of not having perfectly sharp corners.

Well done Mark, I'd love to see video of some of the illusions, have they all been built? The sword box with ungaffed box is particularly fascinating in concept. I'd love to see one actually built!

J
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On 2009-11-10 20:03, Micheal Leath wrote:
Still hoping I'll get lucky in the drawing after the first 100 have been sold (if they haven't already). Thanks for the book Mark!

I need to correct what I said. The drawing will be held after all 500 have been sold. Sorry for the mistake.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
May I know what the name of Mark Parker's Volume 1 illusion book is? Is it out of print and unavailable now? Thanks!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
It's called "Illusion Design". He still has it for sale on his website.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, ClintonMagus.
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1348 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Regarding shipping.
I also owe Mark a public apology. I also should have taken it up with him privately, rather than in a public forum. Sorry about that.

- Ryan
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Mark,

Kudos on the book! Some brilliant principles to put into a plethora of effects.

The Sword box with the vanish at the end and an ungaffed box is brilliant! After seeing it I have been considering other ways to accomplish this perhaps by gaffing the swords to accomplish the same thing...

J
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Mark Parker's New Illusion Book (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL