The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Mark Parker's New Illusion Book (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I had the same thought!

B
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Great minds...

Or perhaps it's a Canadian thing...

J
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
New Zealand
798 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
I just thought I would drop a note in here now I've had this book for over 2 weeks and gone through it thoroughly. I can only confirm what others have said about the quality. As a producer of books I feel Mark has set a new standard. This is no ordinary 'illusion' book - this to me is a quality book backed by quality effects and illusions. I have already been in touch with my own illusion builder to decide what we shall build first.
I have to agree that I'd love to have an original sketch of Marks as I would certainly frame it and put it on my wall. Perhaps this is something he might one day release! It would take pride in my magic office, an original sketch by Mark Parker!!

I honestly wish there were more original illusion books out there. I am trying to find my favorite. I had built a Steinmeyer illusion from his book but made the mistake of using his dimensions. It was my fault as I should have known that dimensions are different for everybody. Leason learnt!
I am glad Mark didn't' put in major dimensions or blue prints because it would be different for me and my assistant. As he says in the book - you should make a mock up first to fit your assistant.

Body Builder is a great Vampire type illusion. Qhat makes this different is the fact that the head appears prior to the appearance. I love the design and look of Marks illusions. Gone are the days of cliche looking props.

I spent time studying his Desk Illusion and I think it has huge potential rather than just an appearance. If you wanted to do a killer bit of mentalism then the desk could be just the ticket. This is one of the illusions I'm going to have built. Having built several desk type illusions in the past what makes this one great is the subtle views the audience can see when they look at the desk.

Sanction might just be my favorite effect. Sanction is so clever in thinking and design. This is a kicker illusion because while the audience sees the magician get impaled, he ends up making an appearance from elsewhere in the theatre. I just love the look and deception of this fine illusion.

It's hard to say which illusion is the best. This book for me, really makes you think and I know once we start building some of these we will come up with a few other ideas. I can't wait to get a huge client who wants me to produce a motorbike! This has to be the most deceptive motorbike appearance to date. This is one Copperfield might want to look at producing!!

I sure hope Mark doesn't wait too long to produce his next book - we need more books like this which make us think, are creative and very high quality.
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://extrememagicmakeover.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
jl
View Profile
New user
uk
65 Posts

Profile of jl
I also like the idea of the Sanction illusion, but with the box being as thin as it is, it would not be possible to get into the spike trolly in the position explained in the book as you would not have the space to get the angle you would need to get down into this position. Any thoughts on this?
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Yeah,
build a mock up and see...

J
JoeC
View Profile
New user
Asia
59 Posts

Profile of JoeC
I received my copy yesterday. Copy # 65.

ha ha ha ha.... It is awesome! Smile
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I agree with everyone that gave great reviews about the book. I can only say it is awesome and a treasure when I received my copy. I hope Mark would come out with his third book.
ReDeFiNe
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of ReDeFiNe
I got my copy 2 days after I ordered! # 73. It was shipped from Singapore to Singapore anyway... haha. The book looks beautiful! The diagrams and pictures of the illusions were very nicely drawn. As mentioned by Mark, the book is not served as a building plan. I personally draw a lot of ideas out of the book to create some of my own illusions.

This book certainly make a great addition to my library.

I would be hanging out with Mark in Singapore next few weeks as he would be attending my magic convention.
Jeremy Pei
www.TheSocialMagician.com

For Magicians by Magicians
www.RedefineMagicOutlet.com
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1939 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Jeremy, what magic convention? In Singapore?? pls let me know more...

CC
Creator of the "High Voltage Gimmick" and Shaman's spirit table
https://youtu.be/Rlgl4CzUa98

IG: @affordable_illusions_magic
paulE
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of paulE
Ordered mine also and had rapid response to e-mail asking when I could expect delivery in the Uk-seems a very pelasant chap

I await with bated breath to start to read it!
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Full of very cool ideas! I think you'll enjoy it!

J
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I'm sure I'm missing something, but where is the Wylie principle explained? Several illusions use this principle, but I can't seem to find any more details in the book.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
476 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
Amongst other places I believe it's in Devant's 'Secrets of My Magic', Sharpe's 'Conjurers' Optical Secrets' and Van Duzer's 'The Seven Basic Secrets of Illusion Design'.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Thanks, Steve. Actually, Mark read my post and responded to me directly. I was thinking that it might be covered in more detail somewhere else in the book. It makes a lot more sense now that I understand the "construction".
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
I've just read Mark's new book and it's superb. Having performed Mark's 'Revolution' and '180' illusions I know just what great thought goes into his illusions and this book has more of the same. It's refreshing to see someone thinking 'out of the box' and inspiring us all to not do the same old material.

Bravo Mark!

Best,
Russ
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
I took a leave from Magic and Illusion, still deciding if I am going to get back in to things, after reading Marks new book and seeing his fresh ideas, I have to say this if I return I will be returning with a few of his illusions! It was great to see abdomen built a couple years ago! Great job Mark!

Justin
cc-magic
View Profile
New user
las vegas
89 Posts

Profile of cc-magic
My review of the new Mark Parker book:

The new book Vivify is the second by full-time illusion and magic designer Mark Parker. It is a limited edition with only 500 copies, each signed and numbered by the author. The first thing you notice is the look of the book and attention to detail that was taken in the printing of this work. Bound in black, with embossed name, gold foil stamp, high quality paper, and full color. Yes, full color. The best way to see the illusions, ideas, and concepts offered.

Following a foreword by Brett Daniels, Mark begins by explaining his philosophy of magic and its presentation. He gives honest commentary on the performance and staging of illusions, but is clear in stating they are his own opinions and meant to spur logical thinking from the audience's perspective. He also stresses that his designs are the beginning from which the illusionist can and should go further to fit one's own style. Mark's thoughts about the use of swords and blades convincingly is something a lot of magicians should think about.

On to the illusions. There are 10 completed and well-thought out illusions in the book:
Bodybuilder - An appearance of the assistant from a body-shaped frame.
Hiding Place - A nice desk concealment concept.
95% Gone - A nice improvement of cutting in thirds using an audience member and vanishing more than a third.
EMB - Very clever idea for an examinable sword box/vanish.
Asrah Table - An asrah table design that is thin with full view through the table.
Abodmen - An appearance of assistants from the stomach of the magician lying on a table.
Dissolve - A gradual dissolve of a person to a full vanish.
Vivisectioned - Separating a girl into three parts with multiple visual effects.
Sanction - A standing magician in cabinet gets hit by multiple blades, but vanishes and appears in audience.
Motorbike - A self contained appearance of a motorbike and even assistants.

Mark's background as an artist is clear in the designs of the illusions. They are visually beautiful and the full color of the drawings gives a clear picture as to the look of a completed prop. The layout and format for the illusions begins with the description of the effect, then goes on to explain the various methods used, and finally a full explanation of the staging and routine combined with visual interpretations of each stage of the performance. I really like Mark's layering of methods used to create some of the effects. It shows a nice departure from the classic illusion design of "one effect, one method."

A couple of new ideas stand out. The idea of adding the deception when needed is a great concept and allows the illusionist to be "one ahead" in the same way many close-up routines do. The use of moveable mirrors that are kept out of sight and brought into place later is a great concept that is explored nicely in 95% Gone, EMB, Abdomen, and Vivisectioned. This concept has plenty of potenial and should be explored more by illusionists.

As he did in his first book, Mark gives credit to his sources of inspiration. For magic to evolve, we as illusionists have to stand on the shoulders of those who came before and build upon their inventions and discoveries. Mr. Parker has taken the Wylie Principle and made it a practical method on a much smaller scale than previously seen. Dissolve & Vivisectioned use this principle nicely.

Mark also gives construction tips and ways to enhance the effect of the use of mirrors through the use of LED lighting . A designer that understands construction is an important point in magic illusions.

The book finishes with a nice commentary on the copying of performances and the building of poor illusions to the detriment of magic, the art and the business.

I highly recommend this book as the illusions are extremely well thought-out and the drawings and explanations are clear. Any professional illusion builder would be able to complete one of these pieces accurately. If you build one illusion from the book, it more than pays for itself. It is a very beautifully put together book and I look forward to seeing more from Mark Parker.

-Charles Bach
http://www.charlesbach.com
£100 plus shipping available from http://www.illusion-designer.com Dealer enquiries welcome
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
Hey guys,

I had a few delays that kept me from getting my copy, but it is well worth the money spent to have one of these on your shelf. I could go on and on about the binding of the book, each the illusions contained, the detail that was taken to create such a fine book, but to pour over each of those would only be repeating what so many credible magicians have said. Suffice it to say, it's a great book.

Mark's informed me that the excitement over this book has only grown since it's release. Between the magicians, dealers and collectors wanting to secure their copy (plus one or two more for future resale purposes) it won't be long until there aren't any to be found. I know the limited run of 500 is well over half way through. These will soon be collector's items and will resale for a higher price than what they are currently being sold for. I'm glad I got mine when I did and would advise you to do the same.

Kyle
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
markparker
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
350 Posts

Profile of markparker
Dear All,
Another rare posting from me.
I am duplicating an offer I did with me first book 4e illusion design.
Strictly for Magic Clubs/societies only.
Any members order connected to these will receive one for one. One book will be dedicated to the club for their own library.
Please add a note to the paypal order stating the club's name.
The limited run of 500 signed and numbered books is diminishing steadily.

Many thanks

Mark
http://www.illusion-designer.com - Bespoke Illusion design - Publications -Show consultancy....Vivify a collection of stage illusions limited edition of 500 copies available now.
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
New Zealand
798 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
Been busy making up a mock up of the desk illusion. Mark - this is absolutely amazing!!! Even the mock up version looks incredible. Once it's done will get the builder to make the final version for me. The deception is great - very different style of base and extremely deceptive.

Over time I plan to make up a few more of these illusions but this is the start. I must say that this is a really fresh approach to magic thinking and I look forward to more of your work.
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://extrememagicmakeover.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Mark Parker's New Illusion Book (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL