The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bruno! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2009-08-01 12:31, Carrie Sue wrote:
You speak as if you know how much they spent to make and market this gross piece of film.

Even Box Office Mojo doesn't have that information.

Carrie

Universal secured the distribution rights to this film for 42.5 million which more than covered the production cost which has been estimated at between 20 to 25 million. So they're well on their way to making a tidy profit. It will do well in Worldwide release and DVD sales and rentals.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Well, it'll do it without me and a lot of other people, because in my considered opinion it's no good for anybody.

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I hope I'm there when you 'Fly Away' Carrie. I want to post a picture on my site. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
It'll do it without you and the five people you hang around with Carrie. I wouldn't call that "a lot".
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
I can't post my opinion of the movie, since I have never seen the film and most likely never will. I have although, seen the trailers (seems like there is a constant stream of them) wile watching what little TV I do watch. It makes me feel the promoters are trying to cram the movie down my throat and it that does irritates me quite bit.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
It's more of the marketing of evil, Tom.

Read David Kupelian's book of the same title, and you'll get an education.

Carrie

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-08-01 12:00, Carrie Sue wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-01 08:49, balducci wrote:
Losing popularity? WND won't let go, and is still talking about Bruno. Here YOU are still talking about Bruno ...

Besides, it's raked in $119+ million so far, worldwide, which I suppose isn't bad for a relatively low budget movie. Maybe a sequel Bruno II in 2011?

Although the movie's take at the box office for its first weekend was $30 million, for the second weekend it plunged to only $8 million.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2603&p=s.htm

And Ben Stein's "Expelled" was not a "mockumentary," but a serious documentary, and how often do those do bang-up business at the box-office? Far from being deliberately offensive, it took on an important subject in a serious way. So you're comparing kittens with sharks on that one.

Carrie

What is your point, Carrie? Bruno still did $119+ million, when you look at the worldwide box office figures. You seem to be fixating on solely the U.S. numbers.

I think most of Michael Moore's documentaries have done better than 'Expelled'. So those CAN be successful at the box office. Of course, MM's docs are not traditional documentaries, but they are as 'serious' as Expelled.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
Quote:
On 2009-08-01 16:40, Carrie Sue wrote:

Carrie

I don't hold out much of an expectation of a reasoned response from you Carrie because you have a habit of spouting other peoples "truths" and running for the hills when people call you on them. But as far as an education from Mr Kupelian's book goes, are you asserting again that this view of the world is an absolute truth. I just ask because many people (see this article http://conwebwatch.tripod.com/stories/2006/kupelian.html ) seem to find it difficult to get a grip on the truth from this book. Now, unlike you, I will just take into account the views in theis article and Kupelians writings and come to my own conclusions. You however seem to have the atrocious habit of just taking in the truths from people who fit your world view..or more worringly you are trying to fit theirs.

You might be shocked to realise, if you spend a bit of time trying to absorbe and understand others philosphies, that there are a lot of people out there with diametrically opposed views to yourself and the people you admire but who are, strangely as it may seem, actually far nicer and more morally sound folk than some you would follow.

I'm sorry if I sound rude Carrie , but its folk like you, honest and decent as you obviously are, who scare the hell out of me more than any rabid terrorists. Because your form of bending folks will to one drone like existence is based on just as fanatical approach as those who would destroy liberty through out the world. So please just grow up and get your own views on things and lets see some form of balanced non-phobic comments instead of the simple (untrue largely) bilge that you pass on from others mouths.
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Quote:
On 2009-08-01 16:54, balducci wrote:
I think most of Michael Moore's documentaries have done better than 'Expelled'. So those CAN be successful at the box office. Of course, MM's docs are not traditional documentaries, but they are as 'serious' as Expelled.

Oh, puh-leeze!

Michael Moore is nothing but a liberal activist who wouldn't know a serious documentary if it walked up and smacked him in the head.

His "documentaries" are not serious, but only slightly entertaining political activism.

Carrie

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2009-08-01 18:16, Carrie Sue wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-01 16:54, balducci wrote:

Oh, puh-leeze!

Michael Moore is nothing but a liberal activist who wouldn't know a serious documentary if it walked up and smacked him in the head.

His "documentaries" are not serious, but only slightly entertaining political activism.

Carrie

Is this supposed to be a contrast to "Expelled"?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
"You seem to be fixating on solely the U.S." said Balducci...hahaha. A point I've made again and again but not for Carrie. Smile

Librarian: "who scare the hell out of me more than any rabid terrorists. Because your form of bending folks will to one drone like existence is based on just as fanatical approach as those who would destroy liberty through out the world."

But Carrie Sue and the gang will not succeed like a 12 megaton bomb with instant results. Carrie and the gang will influence themselves and amuse the rest with aggrivation toward some...but Extinction (Building, Block, City, Country) is forever...with Carrie Sue we live to talk another day our thoughts and beleifs intact. With the terror trash we are Red MIST. So I must beg to differ. I'll take Carrie any day...
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2009-08-01 18:45, Doug Higley wrote:
"You seem to be fixating on solely the U.S." said Balducci...hahaha. A point I've made again and again but not for Carrie. Smile

It's impossible to do otherwise at the Café. Try talking about something non-American--either the topic will die right away, or it will quickly turn into an Americo-centred discussion.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2009-08-01 19:41, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:

It's impossible to do otherwise at the Café. Try talking about something non-American--either the topic will die right away, or it will quickly turn into an Americo-centred discussion.

John
Is that why your post always come across as angery and bitter? Smile

Tom
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:

Carrie

From a review of that book: "At one time, this was a Christian culture but now the Barna Group reports that just 4% of Americans have a Biblical worldview."

Is this about marketing a Bronze age mentality to folks today? For the record I don't think the desire for a "Christian culture" is entirely evil though I do see much to be desired about some of it's members behavior.

Or is this equation of cultural evolution with evil an attempt at parody?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2009-08-01 12:52, Carrie Sue wrote:
Well, it'll do it without me and a lot of other people, because in my considered opinion it's no good for anybody.

Carrie

Which is a fine opinion to have. No reason for you to go see a movie that you wouldn't like or would offend you. Thankfully they make movies of all types these days. All sorts of different subjects and genres s you have a choice as to what type of entertainment you and your friends choose to see.

The problem occurs when you start telling people they shouldn't go see a film because it offends you. I would never go see films like Expelled or The Passion but I would never tell anyone else they shouldn't go see them or complain that they shouldn't be made in the first place. Micheal Moore has just as much right to make films that support his world view as anyone else. The market decides if he can continue releasing his movies. If no one goes to see them no theatre will carry them and the will stop making them.

It's that free market thing the conservatives are so adamant to preserve. It may be marketing evil, but as we all know, evil sells.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

BTW, having seen the film I can report that such comedy is not likely suitable for sheltered children or those who can't enjoy parody. It's pretty clear that the title character is the provocateur throughout leaving the audience free to enjoy the antics. Those who have issues with nudity and s3x are likely to be uncomfortable with some of the film's scenes.
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
Quote:
On 2009-08-01 21:38, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:

Carrie

From a review of that book: "At one time, this was a Christian culture but now the Barna Group reports that just 4% of Americans have a Biblical worldview."

Is this about marketing a Bronze age mentality to folks today? For the record I don't think the desire for a "Christian culture" is entirely evil though I do see much to be desired about some of it's members behavior.

Oh snap.

I must say that is a fine point. Biblical views are great as long as you can hold them yourself. I am all for people believing in something and having great morals if they want to but a one sided opinion puts a stain on any religion.

As always,
Dylan
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

If you watch the film - notice how very few if any of the "victims" of his pranks looked at has setups and laughed. I hope when he was filming there were plenty who got the jokes and whose reactions were left on the editing floor to keep the tone of the film consistent.
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
Quote:
"

Librarian: "who scare the hell out of me more than any rabid terrorists. Because your form of bending folks will to one drone like existence is based on just as fanatical approach as those who would destroy liberty through out the world."

But Carrie Sue and the gang will not succeed like a 12 megaton bomb with instant results. Carrie and the gang will influence themselves and amuse the rest with aggrivation toward some...but Extinction (Building, Block, City, Country) is forever...with Carrie Sue we live to talk another day our thoughts and beleifs intact. With the terror trash we are Red MIST. So I must beg to differ. I'll take Carrie any day...

that's fair and these things are all relative...I guess though I wouldn't be quite so pragmatic and look to the wider view if I 'd lived in Salem and one of Carries mob came knocking on my door because my cat had looked at someone strangely.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Again relative...They'd have a hell of a fight on their hands considering my cat of choice would be a 500 lb Bengal...

"Knock knock"

"ooops"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bruno! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL