The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Puppet Appearance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24053 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I do have a big rabbit puppet.

My plan was to show the kids I am about to do a trick with a box as I show it empty. Next, I get an unsuspected phone call on my cell phone. It is my puppet friend annoying me during my show. I tell him not to come to my show. But he comes anyway, inside of the empty box I showed previously. Next, we do our entertainment together. I was thinking about making him disappear back inside the box.

Later on in the show he appears again inside a different prop while I am about to perform a different trick. His second/last performance can really be the end of my show. As I end my show it looks nice to have him in my arms. Without showing him at the end, the audience might look at it as if I was too cruel to my puppet.

I do use a backdrop already so I can set him up so no one would see him. But I was wondering what are some production props that can used for performing this type of effect dealing his appearance and disappearance?
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Square Circle, Balloon To Bunny - pretty much any livestock production that could hold a rabbit...
Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24053 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The problem is the size. My rabbit puppet is 39 inches tall. His arms, legs and head is thick.
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
I see you posted this in two sectons on the Café, and I mirrored Tom's answer with a suggestion of a square circle in the Little Darlings. I will add here that I built my own square circle that is very large to accomodate large production items. It is 40" tall, so this arrangement would work for your puppet. Home Depot sells large fiberboard tubes that are used as concrete column forms. I bought some of these in sizes that would nest, painted them black, and they work great. I built the surrounding boxes so they fold flat for transport. They were a very inexpensive way to make a large production.

If this is not what you had in mind, then start thinking of your puppet as a cast member, rather than a puppet. How would you produce a short assistant, such as a child ? I work with some large puppets, so I have often used this approach when coming up with new ideas.

Hope this helps....

:)

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24053 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Yes it does helps. I will check out those tubes at Home Depot next week. Thank you very much.
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
How about pulling a hat out of your puppet rabbit? Smile

Just joking, square circle production is a better choice.

Or, you can also try tip-over trunk, but that's way too heavy. Or maybe a custom-made mirror box.

The only bad thing about using the trunk or box is that it does not pack flat so I think square circle production is still better choice for practical reasons.
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Back in the day (early 70's) I did pull a hat out of a rabbit. Stopped for a while after seeing Harry Anderson do it on national tv) Funny if folks see someone like H.A. do something they assume a regional guy copied it.

One of the blessings working out of Reno was I got to meet folks like Mr. Anderson.

Harris
(now in the land of Oz)
deutsch
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24053 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The puppet I was speaking about using is in the photo section on page 3 in the upper left corner: http://www.detroitmichiganmagician.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Puppet Appearance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL