The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » David Roth's "The Lapel Coin" need help... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
Stratford, CT should have more than
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
I've been practicing David Roth's "The Label Coin" from his Expert Coin Magic book for quite some time now and I've been having trouble getting the coin to stay in place for long periods of time. I was wondering if someone who tried this would recommend a hook coin as a better solution before I go out and purchase one. I fear that that too would become dislodged from excess movement before a show is over. Also does anyone know of another more solid way keeping the coin in place... possibly another gaffed coin?

Thanks,
Sam Weiss
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
Okami
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
157 Posts

Profile of Okami
I do not know if Roth is using a real coin in his book because my book is not handy at the moment, but on his lecture he was using a Shell and double sided tape.
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Yeah that's pretty much what the book says to use except it mentions a regular coin with double sided tape, not a shell. The problem I'm having though is the tape not holding firm. I'll try it with a shell and tell you how it goes.

Thanks for the help!
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Have you tried what David Roth suggests in his book/lectures?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
792 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Use carpet tape. This is what David says in his live in Philly Video ? Also he says to use either or / Coin /Shell.If you use the shell then the tape will be the thickness of it and fit perfect. I have used it and it works well. You don't have to use a real nice coin or shell cause it only flashes for a second so use a cheap shell and NOT a Lassen or Schoolcraft just incase you wash it by mistake.. Good luck. PT
Close up coin magic.

https://perch-star-nbdt.squarespace.com/home

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
Visit my face book page , Copper silver coins by PT
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
How bout sewing a strong but thin neo mag in the lapel and using a coin or ] of an attractive nature! Might be a good place to rid yourself of things at the end of a routine!
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
499 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
He says to use a coin shell with carpet tape in his lectures. If you don't want to waste a expanded shell try to find a Scotch and Soda shell that doesn't have the insert anymore or some other shell from another partial set that has no use anymore and use it. If you can't find one let me know and I'll dig up one for you.

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

? nobody remember how to use the foil from a champagne bottle to make low cost vanishing coins...
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Oh yeah Jon, Steve Dusheck tipped that to me along with some great stories how he used them and what came to be because of em!
CamisBoss
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of CamisBoss
I've used a silver dollar and scotch tape before, and it stays just fine. First, get a piece of tape and just press it all over the surface of the coin to get all the grime off. Additionally, you might want to use a bit of water to clean it off first. Once it's clean and dry, just take a piece of tape, make a loop of it, and stick it onto the coin. Then, proceed as you do.

It works perfectly for me, and it stays put for as long as I want!
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Wow!
Thanks for all the responses everyone! I think I'm going to try the carpet tape with the expanded shell... that sounds like it's going to hold. Later down the road I might try what MickeyPainless said with the magnet so I won't ruin my shell.

I know David Roth personally because I go to his shop quite often but I'm probably not going to see him for a month so I asked you guys instead for a more immediate response.

Once more... thanks again,
Sam Weiss
-Denny Haney
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Anyone named Sam must be a pretty good guy!
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I would use velcro.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of cperkins
Jonathon -

Depends on the champagne I suppose.
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
I think the issue's been settled, but here's what I did. For a regular half dollar, order a Sasco Scotch and Soda. They're really inexpensive and you only need the shell. Now that I'm using Walking Liberties, I'm really out of luck.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-07-12 21:22, Jeff Corn wrote:
I think the issue's been settled, but here's what I did. For a regular half dollar, order a Sasco Scotch and Soda. They're really inexpensive and you only need the shell. Now that I'm using Walking Liberties, I'm really out of luck.

back to the champagne?
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1666 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
If you use Mickey Painless's idea above -- a magnet and a shimmed coin -- you can make the coin go to the lapel twice.

The second time you can visibly remove it (instead of using the Roth bluff removal). Doing this secretly puts a second coin in play, so now you can do coin through hand, coin across, or any other bit requiring you to be one coin ahead.

Cheers,
Jerry
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Hmm... I like that idea Jerdunn. It's really good for routining.

I'll also try and check out the price of that "Sasco S&S"

Thanks,
Sam

P.S. What's this I here about champagne magnet coins? Any tips how to make them? (sorry a little off topic). Smile
-Denny Haney
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5394 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Personally, I like the Dusheck idea, but Kranzo also has a good solution for an inexpensive shell .
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Jerry,

I REALLY like that idea, great thinking man!

MMc
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » David Roth's "The Lapel Coin" need help... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL