The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Electric chair help needed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
James Nelson
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of James Nelson
Our Electric Chair is doing the same thing. The lamp only energizes when the talker and the sitter are both in contact with the lamp. It reminds me of touching a test lamp checking power in a circuit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Quote:
On 2009-09-15 23:23, James Nelson wrote:
Our Electric Chair is doing the same thing. The lamp only energizes when the talker and the sitter are both in contact with the lamp. It reminds me of touching a test lamp checking power in a circuit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This makes sense, your talker will ground the light, making it glow. It should still be glowing although less, even when it is only the "sitter" holding the tube.

Your generator may be too weak, if the power is adjustable then just turn it up.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of James Nelson
Thanks Brett....

I am using the Electro-Technic manufactured, High Frequency Generator, Model BD-10A, #11011. http://www.electrotechnicproduct.com/pinhole.asp It is the 120v unit without switch, the exact one the Osborne Plans state to use. The power is turned up all the way and everything is built to specifications. It also fails to ignite a torch. Seems like the load needs a ground to complete the circuit.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I don`t understand this ? The Taurus model works fine even when used on batteries !
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I have a couple of the E-T models, and they work pretty well. I also have a couple of violet-ray generators, and a T coil unit.

None of them like humidity. If I'm not mistaken, the current flows can be influenced by your shoes, rubber or leather soles. Rubber insulates.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
James Nelson
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of James Nelson
Actually I tried it with and without shoes. My daughter tried the same. When trying to ignite a torch, the arc from the finger tip is visible, but fails to ignite. As for the lamp, we are using a sylvanis 25 watt tube.

Click here to view attached image.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
It's interesting that you chose to put the plate on the platform vs. the seat of the chair...

I had the same problem with my torch, you may need to reconstruct it a few times, figure out a different arrangement.
If there is an arc into the torch, there is no reason that is shouldn't light. Try using more or less fuel.

Brett.
Blog:
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of rocky clements
James' chair is also using the exact electical unit that the Osborne plans recommend, which is the one on my chair, and they are both doing the exact same things, including the torch not working. This helps to confirm my theory that that particular device and model/size is simply much weaker than other methods or devices used. We have still managed to come up with a very fun and entertaining routine as it is natural for the talker to retain his grip on the various lights being lit by the girl. By far the best bulbs we have found are the new energy efficient fluorescent bulbs that are smaller diameter than the regular fluorescents. Because they are more efficient, they take the smaller amount of electricity and still burn very brightly (as long as the talker holds one end). We start by using a 24" energy efficient bulb and wave near the girl and it flickers without being touched (pretty impressive). Then she grabs one end and it lights completely. Then we have her touch the metal end of a little swirly fluorescent bulb while I hold the glass top of the bulb. It burns brightly. Then we light the swirly bulb with a spoon in the girl's mouth and with a cucumber. Then we have the girl light a 48" bulb while I hold the other end, and as a finale she slides her hand the length of the bulb which compresses the light in the bulb and then she "stretches" the light back the full length of the bulb as I comment on the electricity following her touch. That is a very pretty and puzzling effect. In conclusion, it seems that the weaker tester device in the Osborne plans is not going to shoot sparks and fire and light torches, but it can still be an interesting exhibition. The smaller diameter energy efficient bulbs and talker holding the bulb to ground it are a must, however.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I have a set of plans that instructs you to wrap a thin copper wire around the head of the torch and down to the handle for the talker to ground it. I have never done this so don't take it as my word just what I read.

Are you using colemans fuel? Charcoal fluid is harder to light.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Quote:
On 2009-09-17 02:40, Rotten wrote:
I have a set of plans that instructs you to wrap a thin copper wire around the head of the torch and down to the handle for the talker to ground it. I have never done this so don't take it as my word just what I read.

Are you using colemans fuel? Charcoal fluid is harder to light.

The wire leading to the talker's hand isn't necessary, as long as you touch the metal stem of the torch, that's enough.
Blog:
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of James Nelson
Last night we worked on the chair's electric system. Our high frequency generator has a socket in which an electrode is inserted to use for a contact point. The socket had a loose nut holding it in place which resulted in poor continuity. After tightening the nut, which was difficult, the chair worked completely different. Everything seemed to work as designed even on a very low setting, with exception of the torch ignition, which we have yet to test. We will test that today.

Thanks to all who have responded with thoughts, tips and ideas. Your input was greatly appreciated.
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
James.

Did you get my PM?

ROD
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Electric chair help needed (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL