We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Phillip and Henry contracts (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I do not mind what P&H receives. I just want to receive the amount they promised me. I do understand they have a lot to pay for because their office space, advertising, employees and long distance phone bills.
robertwong
View Profile
Loyal user
Calgary, Canada
212 Posts

Profile of robertwong
Thanks for the insight Charles!

Robert.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2009-07-27 00:52, Michael Messing wrote:
I'm not condoning what they did but it's not ethical do what you are suggesting. It may seem fair to you but you have to have integrity.

As for agreeing to do the show and traveling 6 hours for $450, that's a choice Charles made. What P&H did was wrong to me but they didn't force Charles to take the gig. I've been pretty dissatisfied with a couple of things they've done to me but I certainly am not going to try to get back at them by doing something I think is wrong.

The answer is simple. To avoid P&H taking advantage of you, refuse to work with them. That's it.

Michael

Michael Your absolutely right! I did take the gig, but I prefer to get work on my own from now on. The are good for someone whom is just starting out and wants to travel. By the way..I have your jumbo dollar bills right? They work miracles. Very well said...

Charles

Quote:
On 2009-07-27 00:59, Donald Dunphy wrote:
I would agree with Michael, and also add this thought about lowering yourself to unethical behavior.

Even if a person doesn't always get rewarded by others for doing the right thing ethically, part of the reward is in your self-esteem, and how your see yourself. You feel better about yourself, and can grow and aim higher for goals in your life.

And of course, the opposite is true. When you do things that are unethical (and you know deep down inside that they are unethical), you diminish your self-esteem and diminish your potential for growth and maximum achievement.

Life is full of choices that can either help you or harm you.

- Donald

Well Said Donald!
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Quote:
On 2009-07-27 15:54, trickychaz wrote:
By the way..I have your jumbo dollar bills right? They work miracles.... Very well said...

Charles

If it's the one with a real dollar bill for the front, then it's mine. I'm glad they're working well for you.

Michael
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I have a friend that works a lot with P&H and chats with the people in the office. He said the reason they are offering the contracts is because they have lost a lot of magicians and are having a hard time getting replacements. It's no wonder after reading some of these post.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2344 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Phillip & Henry also had a large area set up at last summer’s big convention in Louisville, KY (SAM, IBM combined). I guess they were recruiting then too. It is troubling to me to hear about Charles’s experience with P & H. I have worked with them from time to time over the past 6 or 7 years and have not had any problems.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I would probably take the $100 contract if they had a lot of areas in Metro Detroit area. But I can see why they do not have the contract in my area. Because I live in the highest unemployed area in the nation.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Exposing P& H is the RIGHT thing to do!!!

Every performer should know what bottom feeders these guys are and how they hurt the industry (what kind of show does a client get for $80??!!)

I've been exchanging personal emails with Philip Marad about this very subject

NO ONE SHOULD WORK FOR THAT INSULTING $80 FEE, $100 isn't enough either

Also P & H Support exposure
http://www.philipandhenry.com/masked-magician/index.html
They will send a "masked magician" to a party to expose effect under the guise of teaching (after the guests guess at how it's done)

Is this a company you want to do business with or support in any way?

The agencies I work with know what my fees are, I know what they charge the clients.
A quality agency will be upfront about payments and fees
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1034 Posts

Profile of jlibby
I've noticed the websites of a couple of magicians who apparently are represented exclusively by Phillip and Henry. Anyone have any insight into how these fellows are doing, businesswise?

Just curious.
Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
Ready to Make Money Performing Magic?
Grab your FREE five-day e-course,
MAKE THE BUCKS PERFORMING MAGIC.
Just complete the pop-up box on the homepage:

https://joelibbyseminars.com
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Quote:
On 2009-07-30 15:01, Dynamike wrote:
I would probably take the $100 contract if they had a lot of areas in Metro Detroit area. But I can see why they do not have the contract in my area. Because I live in the highest unemployed area in the nation.

You would accept $100 a show in a major metro area??!!!!

While I respect your honesty .....
Is that all you think you are worth?

If every so called magician declined P & H shows for 1 month
You would all earn more
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1348 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
I live in somewhat of a rural community (1 hr. north of Boston MA ) I wouldn't dream of working for that amount of money! How could you possibly make a living at $80 a show (375 shows a year) & not be burned out by the first month.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-08-07 18:14, Vick wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-30 15:01, Dynamike wrote:

You would accept $100 a show in a major metro area??!!!!

Detroit is not major anymore. It use to have over 1 million citizens. The count when down big time. Detroit is one of the #1 cities (probably is #1) for loosing residence the fastest. What made Detroit major was the making of vehicles. Now because the low making of American vehicles, so many people in and around Detroit no longer work in the factories. The wave first hit only the other factories that were related to American built vehicles. Now it is plunging to other businesses related or not related to automobiles. Several entertainment companies went out of business or moved to a different state. The number one thing that is rising in my area is crime. That is the other reason people are leaving the area I am in.

Because of the economy I would not mind someone finding me a lot of shows throughout the year in my metro area I could perform the "packs small, plays big" tricks for 30 minutes. What my shows are worth are important. But surviving is more important.

If the economy was not the way it is now I would shove the contract in their face.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
I wanted to apologize to the Café community for my post about Philip and Henry Productions.

Charles
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2344 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
What? Why? You’ve alerted us to an experience you had with P & H that was less than honorable on their part. There are many magicians here at the Magic Café that have worked/will work for P & H. You’ve done a great thing by telling us, ‘yes, they are ok but I did have a problem with them. So, be careful.’ That’s magicians helping other magicians at its best.

I just spoke with a very good and trusted friend of mine last week and for some reason P & H came up. He told me he had a situation where P & H flat out did not pay him! So, there is yet ANOTHER story of bad dealings.

Lets continue to help each other by being honest about the good, the bad and the proceed with cautions.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Here is my honest opinion:

P & H take an extremely large piece of the fee and offer the performer consistently less than what they are worth.

P & H treat the performer as a commodity rather than a human being.

P & H has no consideration of the performer as an artist. They see you as a means simply for them to make money.

P & H should be slammed and only the most desparate of performers or their chosen few should EVER work for them.

When they started that nonsense about performers having to bid on shows and the lowest bidder, regardless of talent or experience got the gig and the client was not even to know the performers name, well I certainly lost all respect for these creeps.

P & H is a puppy mill for magicians.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-08-19 21:29, trickychaz wrote:
I wanted to apologize to the Café community for my post about Philip and Henry Productions.

Charles

Did Philip and Henry contact you about that post?
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
This is P & H in action:

The area code for the part of the province I live in covers about 45000 square kilometers.

P & H calls and asks if I will do a child's birthday party show in a city within this area code for $80.00.

I tell them first of all, I don't do children's birthday party shows. Second, I tell them that the city is a 3 hour drive from where I live and although I travel frequently to perform, the minimum I will go to that city for is $750.00.

P & H says, oooh, thought this would be a local show for you. I tell them no, that city is there and I live in _____________ and they are at least 3 hours apart.

Flash forward 7 months. P & H again. Again asking if I will do a children's birthday party in the same city for about the same price. I go through the whole explanation thing again. P & H gives about the same response.

Flash forward to the next year. P & H call again. Again a birthday party show, again in the area of the distant city. This time I don't bother to return their call.

Pat and I use the services of a lot of different agents and agencies. Each of them know us and about us. Each of them (and we have not personally met some of them) know what are various acts are and what type of shows we do. They know our price range and how it varies depending on the type of show and where the show is. They take the time to talk to us, either in person or on the phone to learn about what we are about.

P & H hasn't a clue about us. They were given our information by a very well meaning friend.

P & H are insulting to performers in the rates they offer and in the indifferent way that they treat most of us.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I was contacted by P & H and was offered a lowball figure for a job. I actually laughed at them when I refused it. To the best of my knowledge no one took the job, maybe some kid but not anyone I know.

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 1:09pm
OOPS, forgot to add one comment. Any good performer can make more than $80 an hour busking. OK average more than $80/hour busking. So why take a job for a demeaning rate.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Kellar
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Kellar
It was once said on late night TV "Stop the Insanity!"

Think about this for one second, we have the ability to control this situation, first and foremost by offering professional services that are worth well more than "some" would like or are willing to pay, yet we accept these fees because...

We have to pay for our new trailers to travel 3 hours away from our home town…

RJE I am calling you out….

Rob it surprises me that you come on here, claim that you are busier than ever (which you maybe) yet you travel away from your tight community to perform for underserviced areas that have no local entertainers yet you leave your own community because it too has NO local entertainers. ******** I personally have covered a show or two of yours.
It honestly bothers me to no end that some come here to toot their own horn and do what magicians do best in creating illusions, (of whatever…)

So if you’re looking for opinions and that’s what these are….here’s mine…

Do what you love and accept what it’s worth to you, BUT never take any less and when you have to pay the bills don’t start lying about it just GIVE UP. Just DON’T DO IT!

David Johnson
Belleville Ontario Canada

PS. For the record ROB you’re not the only one in or out of the area working, I too have picked up some work with Resorts of Ontario and have been very well compensated, but that is only on the Wednesday nights this summer that I am away from home.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1639 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Who is David Johnson?
I've never heard of him,another new comer.
TrickyRicky
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Phillip and Henry contracts (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL