The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Background music for Q&A (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aldiamo
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of aldiamo
Hi,

I was wondering if some of you use background, ambient music during your Q&A routine... Or do you perform it just silent.

PMs are also welcomed regarding this topic.

Thanks,
Taboo
wash
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of wash
.........but comments on the thread are better Smile

I personally use simple violin music, sourced from archive.org

the recording is probably a hundred years old, and really sounds it. sets a wonderful tone.

as the q&a progresses and becomes more impossible, the music fades and disappears. but it's there for at least the first 60 percent of the routine
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
While background music might be useful to set a desired mood during a seance or when giving private readings in a one-on-one situation, it strikes me as both out of place and distracting during a Q&A routine as I understand it and with which I am familiar. In my experience a Q&A act or routine is typically presented in a stage or platform setting before a group of 50-100 or more; e.g., as performed by Kreskin -- Q&A comprises the major portion of his stage act -- Gil Eagles or any of the other masters of Q&A that I have seen).

What is your understanding of how Q&A is normally presented?
Dick Christian
wash
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of wash
I've seen kreskin twice and on both occasions his Q&A had a faint musical background.

I've never seen gil.
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
I use background music...Tangerine dream
wash
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of wash
John riggs uses music.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I think the band is called 7th Method and it has a song called Say What You Will with this in the lyrics:

I can see it in the way that you smile.
I know exactly what you are thinking.
Why does it bother you, that I
don't believe like you?
All you care about is proving me wrong.
Even more than how you are living.
How can you justify, having your narrow mind?

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
aldiamo
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of aldiamo
Quote:
On 2009-07-14 15:30, Dick Christian wrote:
While background music might be useful to set a desired mood during a seance or when giving private readings in a one-on-one situation, it strikes me as both out of place and distracting during a Q&A routine as I understand it and with which I am familiar. In my experience a Q&A act or routine is typically presented in a stage or platform setting before a group of 50-100 or more; e.g., as performed by Kreskin -- Q&A comprises the major portion of his stage act -- Gil Eagles or any of the other masters of Q&A that I have seen).

What is your understanding of how Q&A is normally presented?

Mr Christian,

I am about to incorporate Q&A to my act as the largest portion of it; and since many of you are big steps ahead of my regarding these, I wanted to know if you used some kind of ambient music in order to relax and ambientize the setting..
Just a thought Smile
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1249 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Quote:
On 2009-07-14 18:03, Dario wrote:
I use background music...Tangerine dream

Beautiful choice of music. I don't perform Q&A, but if I did, I would definitely use soft ambient music in the background. Right now I'm drawn toward a band called Blue Foundation.
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Quote:
On 2009-07-14 22:20, Taboo wrote:
Mr Christian,

I am about to incorporate Q&A to my act as the largest portion of it; and since many of you are big steps ahead of my regarding these, I wanted to know if you used some kind of ambient music in order to relax and ambientize the setting..
Just a thought Smile

First understand that, although I have been working for several years at developing one, my current mindreading show does not include a Q&A routine. Having said that, I do not use any music -- background or otherwise -- in the show as I feel that it would only be an unwanted (and unwarranted) distraction. The only music I use in any of my current programs is a short piece of "walk-on" music that is part of the recorded introduction for the stage version of my magic show and special background music used during the presentation of the large illusion(s) in that show.

I do have some recorded music, for use as very low background, during portions of the seance program I have under development.
Dick Christian
aldiamo
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of aldiamo
I really have to thank Darío for the suggestion he gives. Tangerine´s music is the one Im going to use.
Bartelli
View Profile
Elite user
Belgium
403 Posts

Profile of Bartelli
I thinks it's not a bad idea to have some kind of music playing (very softly) throughout the whole show. Like in movies, music can help to set the mood.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Background music for Q&A (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL