The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Gadabout Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Read the Bauer version - it is not the trick so much as the theater that matters! There is a COMPLETE fantasy in this incarnation of the plot that is well worth studying, even if you never do the trick. The principles that Bauer applies to his magic are pretty much unknown to most magic students, or, worse yet, known but ignored. I'd prefer to believe that it is ignorance, not hubris, that keeps magi from applying simple theatrical principles to thier magic tricks in order to make them (the tricks or the performer, take your pick) better. Bauer has eliminated any excuse for not knowing what to do. He has, in releasing his Private Studies, made a course available to any willing student. The next time you see this trick performed to startling result, bet that the performer studied Bauers' methods.

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
There's also a very cool method for the vanish of the coins at the end in the Bauer booklet. It's Milt Kort's "In the Well Vanish." Of course Bauer has conditioned the audience to the type of procedure used in this vanish so it appears to be the same procedure used when the coins jump back. Bauer devotes the last couple of pages to a discussion of the use of REPETITION. The case in point is the conditioning used prior to the In the Well Vanish. Excellent thinking all around.

Mike
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Milt's "In The Well Vanish" is very convincing. It may not seem that way when you read it, but it works wonderfully when done well (pun intended). I'm suprised I don't see it used more.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I remember showing Bauer's routine to a well posted friend of mine. His comment was "You got me on the vanish.." The "In the Well Vanish" is excellent! I hadn't realized how deceptive it is until then. Don't forget that it is particularly deceptive in Bauer's construction because of the Repetition principle. It might not be as effective without that.

Mike
sterlyn
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of sterlyn
In the third (or so) phase ala Bobo, he has you say there is something special about one of the coins and then rub it through the back of the left hand which is held closed and then turned over and opened to reveal the coin. I had trouble with this move and wasn't aware of the Bauer handling. My solution was to pass the coin in my right hand through the back of my left hand allowing that finger palmed coin to fall to the table. It gets one of the big reactions, the other being the final vanish.

I am interested in working with the Bauer handling just to see.

The aspect of repetition is interesting because I have a hard time feeling comfortable with the final vanish. That click pass is a problem area, but by then the repetition is so ingrained the audience seems to snooze through it.

Any ideas?
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
I've been trying to get a copy of Ron Baurer's manuscript through magicsmith, but they have been having problems stocking the title. Been waiting almost two weeks now!
Davy Davis
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Davy Davis
You can also order directly from Ron Bauer's web site which also has video clips of each of the moves.
http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com/indexa.htm

Davy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Gadabout Coins (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL