We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Coney Island of The 1940's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSF8I2tDdy0&feature=related

Great video. Some of these "rides" are a lawsuit waiting to happen, but they look fun anyway. Smile
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Many of those rides are still being used in Australian amusement parks.
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Nice clip...I'm longin for a "Coney Island caviar"...Uh, after I judge the Mermaids walk-around and go for a spin on the "Hoopla" that is...
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Utah_Showman
View Profile
Veteran user
Heart of Utah
350 Posts

Profile of Utah_Showman
Nice
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
60 years later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDlmjrwKKaQ&feature=fvw

The last minute and 1/2 is probably the most depressing thing I have ever seen. Smile
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
That film was made in 2000. It doesn't look that good these days!
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Yes, However Our mutual Amigo from South Texas (JS#3) is on site as we write to save it!!...Does thou have No Faith??....
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
A&W at the mall has pretty good coney dogs.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
One of the comments claims an untruth about the Cyclone. It wasn't the Cyclone which overlooked the womens bath house roof...and the nekkid women...it was the Hurricane. It's in my book 'Scary Dark Rides'. Smile We used to re-ride for a Dime with crummy plastic binoculars. Smile
Coney in the late 40's was Paradise.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
What happened? Why did Coney lose what it once had? Smile
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Why do the greatest amusement places in the world die?
Please see: http://natpark.org/
Spokane's own tragic loss.
~Will Rogers
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

While we are at it...Growing up in Chicago my Mother said I was taken here...Although I was 6 when it closed (1967), I was taken there at a earliar age and I don't remember it at all except for the stories from my cousins and other family members (I am the runt).....Too bad JS#3 wasnt old enough at that time to save this one.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot47vAN4HBY
Evel Knievel

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
It's ironic that we have a cemetery here called Riverview.
~Will Rogers
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

I met Marshall Brodein when I was a Kid...well, sort-of...I knew him as "Whizzo on the ole "WGN Bozo's Circus".I also purchased his "TV Magic" set....In 2004 I played the St Charles Illinois Fair and met him in person..Talked io him for hours it seemed, What a Great Person!...However, I saw him perform in Person at this Classic Chigo-Land Park that failed in Bolingbrook IL....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0InNa4G79_w
Evel Knievel

Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Times have changed. People were simpler then. The video shows that. Now we have Vegas! Disney land and world and mass air transit. Six Flags filed chapter 11. Granted that company has had bad management for a number of years but the small guys are struggling.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-07-15 23:42, Rotten wrote:
Times have changed. People were simpler then. The video shows that. Now we have Vegas! Disney land and world and mass air transit. Six Flags filed chapter 11. Granted that company has had bad management for a number of years but the small guys are struggling.

You are so right!...Government and Social attitudes and Technologies have changed...Sometimes with all the Regs and Political Correctness, I feel like throwing in the Towel...Sadly or Happily, this is all I know...So the struggle goes on...Yet longing for the World to get its senses back... as in your words...a simpler time....
Evel Knievel

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Vegas has seen better times too...
~Will Rogers
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2009-07-15 21:05, The Curator of the Unusual wrote:
Yes, However Our mutual Amigo from South Texas (JS#3) is on site as we write to save it!!...Does thou have No Faith??....

But who is going to save it from JS#3?
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I don't know if I buy the "people were simpler then" argument. Things were different, but not simpler. There were different elements in play, but human nature is still the same as it was then. It is like the sign Geo. Tilyou put up with fire wiped out Steeplechase in 1908: "I have problems today I did not have yesterday. I had problems yesterday that I do not have today..."

The question that all showmen must ask themselves is, "would someone pay to see this attraction twice?" The Disney corp has created something that people do pay to see repeatedly, and great success has been theirs. Six Flags has tried to keep people coming back by throwing up a new coaster every season or two, and we know the results of that.

Most showmen struggle to get people's money one time and are happy if no one asks for their money back, let alone come back to spend again.

The exception is the BCS, which is an attraction that people will recall fondly to their grandkids and great grandkids.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

[quote]On 2009-07-16 09:27, Todd Robbins wrote:
Quote:
But who is going to save it from JS#3?

Uh...Like that's your cue...You know...Do that thing where you come out of the Phone Booth..and all.....
Evel Knievel

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Coney Island of The 1940's (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL