The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Venn Diagram of Mentalism: Where are you? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
You remember what Venn diagrams are. They are those circle pictures used to explain the relations between sets. The circle representing say, beagles, would be entirely inside the circle representing dogs because all beagles are dogs. If you had a circle representing America and another representing Americans some of the circle of Americans would be outside of the American circle because at any given time a certain percentage of Americans are outside the country.

Ok math refresher is over. Think of two circles: The left hand circle represents readers, i.e., people who do psychic readings of some kind. The circle on the right represents pure mentalists who never do readings. I imagine Osterlind, Banacheck and most name brand mentalists are in this circle.

But the two circles do intersect. The point of intersection would be shaded in a printed Venn diagram. The point of intersection is that group of mentalists who also give readings. (Or readers who also do mentalism acts, if you prefer.)

The floor is open for discussion. In which part of the diagram are you? Pure reader, pure mentalist or in the intersection of those who do both? Have you been in a different set in the past? Are you moving in one direction or the other?

I see myself in the middle sector (although I am yet to give my first paid mentalism performance). I'm thinking of using readings as a revenue source to help me build my act. Pipe dream of sound business plan? Do most people tend to stay in one sector? Do they move back and forth between sectors?

What are you thoughts?

Rocky
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2503 Posts

Profile of Chris K
That is incorrect. They do not intersect because you have defined them as mutually exclusive. It's like saying one circle is odd and one circle is everything that isn't odd, they don't intersect.

The actual question you want to ask is:

One circle with people who do psychic readings. One circle with people who perform mentalism. These intersect and it is this intersection that you are referring too (mentalists who do readings).

Who needs the math refresher again?

Plop me in that intersection, btw.
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
I think I might be in a wee bubble somewhere on the edge of the page... and not in a good way! Smile

Drew
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
Ok lemniscate, the only sentence I got wrong is this one:

The circle on the right represents pure mentalists who never do readings.

That should have been:

The circle on the right represents mentalists who do stage shows.

With that correction the post is now mathematically correct.
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17861 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I would imagine that there are folks who do readings but NOT with the methods devised by mentalists.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
You've never seen Banachek give a reading???

You've missed out!

S. Patrick
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17861 Posts

Profile of Slim King
He's pretty good with cards it seems Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Bartelli
View Profile
Veteran user
Belgium
386 Posts

Profile of Bartelli
To answer your first question, I'm a mentalist who doesn't do readings, but I hope to be in the intersection in the future. I come from performing magic and have recently switched to mentalism. Being able to do readings is now an ambition but I still have a lot of studying to do. I think it takes a lot of trial and error to get it right, and I don't get to do a lot of trial since I'm having a hard time selling mentalism in my country.

I believe delivering good readings can lift up many mentalism effects from being a trick to being whatever the spectator (participant) wants to believe it is.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3066 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
As Stealers Wheel said so prophetically back in the '70s (as if foretelling your exact Venn diagram), "Here I am, stuck in the middle with you."

I should point out that mentalism derives much of its power from its grounding in the oracular tradition. Little wonder that even among those who do only feature performances, reading-based Q&A remains one of the strongest parts of the repertoire.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Venn Diagram of Mentalism: Where are you? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL