The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Cartoon Characters #2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Hello guys, I am thinking about having my own costume character made. I would like to use it at different kid shows. I do not have a style thought of yet. But maybe a good name will be Dyna-Mutt. Where can I go to get a costume like that made?
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
In my opinion and experience, Mike, Morris Costumes ( http://www.morriscostumes.com/aboutus.aspx )is the best. I've also dealt with Promo Costumes ( http://www.promocostumes.com ) and a friend has dealt with Olympus Mascots ( http://www.olympus-mascots.com/ ). One of my amusement park clients uses the Great American Mascot-Costume Company ( http://www.mascot-costumes.net ). Rubie's is also a very respected costumer on a par with Morris ( http://www.rubies.com/mascots.cfm ).

You can also explore the various companies that have off-the-shelf costumes that are more affordable and a great starting point, like
http://www.1800mascots.com/samples/sampl......d%20Dogs

Regardless, you'll want a company that specializes in Mascot-style costumes. Hope this helps to get you started!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks again, Skip. You gave me more than I expected.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
-Matt
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
I will also second Morris Costumes! Phillip Morris is one of the best in the business!
Mister Mystery
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I am new dealing with costumes. I will check all the places and see what fits me the most.

I just thought of an idea of how the costume could look if it was custom made. When I show you, please do not laugh at me too hard. Open the following link and enlarge the photo. Look at the figure of me on my backdrop. http://aceproductionsusa.com/home.html

Maybe it would be good to have dolls figures made too looking the same way. It might generate like Barney (only on my side of town).

Comments please...
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Quote:
On 2009-07-16 11:05, Dynamike wrote:
I am new dealing with costumes. I will check all the places and see what fits me the most.

They might have different sizes available.

Quote:
On 2009-07-16 11:54, Dynamike wrote:
I just thought of an idea of how the costume could look if it was custom made. When I show you, please do not laugh at me too hard. Open the following link and enlarge the photo. Look at the figure of me on my backdrop. http://aceproductionsusa.com/home.html

Maybe it would be good to have dolls figures made too looking the same way. It might generate like Barney (only on my side of town).

Comments please...

Honestly, to have a costume of yourself seems pointless. You are already yourself. Plus, the client would likely rather have the Dynamike that can do magic, than the one that is just a costume.

You would probably be better off with a character like a dog or tiger than a person.
-Matt
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
As usual, I agree with Matthew. You're the star of the show. Your costumed characters should be your supporting cast; the comic sidekicks who get the laughs and make you look fabulous. Think about the old Soupy Sales show with his dogs, Black Tooth and White Fang as a very rough concept. There's also the characters on Pee Wee's Funhouse, Sesame Street, The Muppet Show, HR Puffnstuff, The Banana Twists (Man, am I dating myself here!).

The point is, a costumed character should be a fun addition to your show - not a replacement for its star - You. Someone the kids will have fun posing for photos with, hugging and associating with in addition to you.

BTW, I really like that backdrop. Very creative! A caricature doll of yourself might be a fun back-of-room sale item.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
My bad, guys.
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Skip, you brought back some memories.

I remember the Banana Splitz!!!

One banana two banana three banana four!!

Youtube Banana Splitz
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Splitz! Of course, it's Splitz!! The mind is SLOWLY going! Smile

Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Anybody else remember the actual cartoon character named "Dyno-Mutt"?

Steve
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4619 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Dyna-Mike, you might want to think about the realities of wearing a big ol' costume. Maybe I got you wrong, and your costume will be light and comfortable. Mostly, in theatre companies, it's the newbies who get to wear the whole body costumes. As I get older, I prefer to have a more casual attire, than wanting to go ahead with a full-on costume that will bake me like a potato!
In the recent heat-wave (Britain has been hotter than Bangkok - allegedly), I've mostly just worn shirt-sleeves (though I do always wear tights under my pirate breeches!). I have my pirate jacket for cooler environments, but actually I perform most of my show without it, and I really don't like to be made uncomfortable by my clothing.
Otherwise, I'm all for costumes. But I'd prefer to think "character", than "costume".....
;)
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I have done costume character work, and I will be honest, it is extremely hot in in them.

Do not be outdoors in them for more then 15-25 minutes at a time, you can overheat very easily. Indoors is not that much of a problem, still hot but you can usually be in them longer. Definitely get an ice pack vest, and I think they can even put fans in the heads.
-Matt
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Yea, I know it is uncomfortable like you mentioned. But because of the economy and competition, I am increasing my business. Each 30-60 minutes in the costume will be worth the $200 when I get home.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
You should put into the agreement/contract/whatever that you have a place to go to be able to take the head off for a moment (2-3 times an hour) and drink some water.

You will sweat, and that sweat needs to be replaced or you will overheat.

Your safety is the most important thing.
-Matt
Professor DoDad
View Profile
New user
Cleveland GA
83 Posts

Profile of Professor DoDad
I have gotten two costumes from Olympus Flag. GREAT costumes and very well worth every bit of the price. I bought mine while at IAAPA. They sell their displays much cheaper. When you go to their site. I have the Gorilla with orange shirt and the rat in kaki and blue shirt.

BTW here is a link of something just different. http://www.robot-costumes.com

I had them make my God's Armor for me. GREAT costume and always catches the eye.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4619 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Dyna-Mike, I've seen clips of your shows, and I really can't believe you need to do this.
I've recently discovered a huge amount about internet presence. Perhaps you'd be better off putting your efforts into marketing, than into a new venture.
This is exactly the position I'm in. Towards the end of last year, I decided to re-visit my old kids' character "Professor Potty Pants". But, when push came to shove, there were several issues:
Potty Pants would take considerable financial investment to create again(at least £1000 for the basic set-up).
There would be a need for specific advertising for the character.
It would take a couple of years before I could really relax, and know that the character and show were as good as they could be.
I'm already very busy, and have a great character already.
I decided in the end, that I'd be better working on promoting Potty the Pirate, which I have taken so far, and invested so much time, money and effort in.
It transpired that I'd had a lull in work, simply because my web-builder had diverted my main emails into the ether. For 6 months, I was unaware that I wasn't getting emails from my MAIN source. But it pushed to me develop my websites.
In my opinion, Dyna-Mike, that's what you need to do....to look at your internet presence, rather than consider costume character work.
Potty Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Sounds interesting, Potty. It looks like I have a lot to put together.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Cartoon Characters #2 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.84 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL