The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ceramic lota bowl or jar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Thanks RCP Smile
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2158 Posts

Profile of RCP
Gary, I have two that are identical. The first starts out with an eagle’s feather, produces bones, beads, sands and eventually blood. The feather moves from the pain of the Apache blood and tears. A switch and we toast their lives with mescal produced from apparently the same earthen vessel that earlier had produced blood

C
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Thanks for the twin,suggestion! Smile

Gary
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
2158 Posts

Profile of RCP
The miracles are easier after the mescal Smile
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3505 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
RCP Great posts, ideas, advice!

My two-cents, the Lota is a fantastic classic prop, and can be used for a large stage, parlor, even close-up with a little careful handling and some audience control.

They are made in a huge array of materials, sizes, shapes. Tom’s (see my earlier post) can be almost anything. I know he stocks the mugs, and small/large vases.

Your imagination sets the limits, as RPC says. This is an “old” prop that not too many are using these days, so it can set you apart.

Then again, done in a rote, boring way, without creativity, it can be a dud too.

Magically, Walt
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
2158 Posts

Profile of RCP
Thanks Walt. Does your friend make the ones Steven's is selling?
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3505 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I don't think so, they are similar though, but I think nicer. I can send you a photo of mine if you'd like, it was custom with an imp face in relief on it. Tom prices by size and intricacy. Walt
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
949 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
Thank you for the advice Walt, perhaps I should leave this one for the few who are performing miracles with it already.

But who knows what the future holds someday...

regards,
M.I.
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
I tried out my clay lota with my kids that I teach today. Even without fleshing out much of a story I got some great reactions from the kids and the two adults in the room. Kind of funny actually. I can't wait to actually put together a more meaningful/impactful story for what I plan to do this summer and get a little creative to really bring this up a notch and see the reactions then. Definitely lends itself well to storytelling magic.

Thanks for the ideas by the way RCP. Has me thinking a bit more about what can be done. I would be curious to know how you comfortably use the TT with your lota.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
2158 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On 2012-06-08 18:58, Jon W. wrote:
I tried out my clay lota with my kids that I teach today. Even without fleshing out much of a story I got some great reactions from the kids and the two adults in the room. Kind of funny actually. I can't wait to actually put together a more meaningful/impactful story for what I plan to do this summer and get a little creative to really bring this up a notch and see the reactions then. Definitely lends itself well to storytelling magic.

Thanks for the ideas by the way RCP. Has me thinking a bit more about what can be done. I would be curious to know how you comfortably use the TT with your lota.

I don't use it the entire routine. Props are moved back and forth from a Hobbs box. TT is stolen from box to provide a load for opposite hand.
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
Thanks for the insight RCP. I have been thinking much more about possible scenarios since your post. I wonder if a blood capsule stuck to the inside could be useful too as a load at some point(Is saying this type of thing ok in the public forum?).
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
If in doubt Jon, stop and head to the Crypt.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
Thanks Roslyn, I think that is sound advice. I will go in the Crypt here in a bit and start a Lota thread for anyone who might be interested.
tom crecelius
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of tom crecelius
Hello fellow Magi, Yes, the Stevens Magic Emporium has had me make several of the blue pitchers for them specifically. The older, worn, look like Martin has... yes, I can make that as well. Martin and I have talked, we are friends. If you are in the UK..... get it from Martin and save the shipping overseas. If you are in the USA..... just write or call and ask me. I am making some special pots now. Old, rustic pots are easily done as well. I use one of my mugs in an 1850's setting of colonial Kentucky.... telling my story of Squire Boone. Just tell me what you wish for, friends. I love a challenge....
Tom
Tom
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Hi Tom, I sent you a PM...I have a challenge! Smile

Gary
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6956 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Lozey seems to have disappeared! No way to PM her either. I was going to suggest going here and contacting Tom:

http://www.ninedragonpottery.com/About_Us.html

I found a picture of one of Nine Dragon's Lota Pitchers (see below...never mind...it won't "take"). Oh well...I tried!

Doug

Click here to view attached image.
lozey
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
381 Posts

Profile of lozey
Hey Doug,

I managed to get hold of an original Tomich lota pot, in the plain design. Its a lovely prop. I am thinking of selling it though, but will make sure the guys here get first refusal if I do

I havent 'dissapeared', Im just occassionally loitering in the background. I had to turn off my PM message facility after I started to recieve hate messages, so sorry about that. If you post your email up here, we can chat that way
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6956 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Lozey, hate messages? In the Café?? Hard to imagine. I cannot think of ANY reason someone would do that here. Did you report them? Glad you're OK. And, you were looking for a Lota, and you found one, and now you want to sell it? I guess I'm con-fooosed! Smile Tom at the link above is the guy I'm going to. I have to save some $$$, though... Smile

Doug
lozey
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
381 Posts

Profile of lozey
The 'looking for post' was a loooong time ago. Since then I have moved away from, magic. Its a lovely, lovely prop, but nowadays I don't want to look at props anymore. Too many bad memories when I see things like that on my shelf, and its a shame for me to consign it to the attic, when it deserves to be used

With regards to the messages, yes I reported it, probably better off not talked about publically. Like I said, post your email or email me on lauren@ravenmagic.co.uk
Ed Solomon
View Profile
New user
Ed Solomon
70 Posts

Profile of Ed Solomon
Tom made a lota jar for me with an Egyptian ankh inscribed. It provided five days of
water ( five pours) from Jacobs Well in my routine based on the geographical location of the well, which
exists even today. Tom's work is unusually beautiful. Superb !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ceramic lota bowl or jar (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL