The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » The World is Now Safe (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009......uer.html

So who was going to buy the five legged pup out there in Coney Island--better yet, who lost out to the do-gooders?

Update: further research indicates the pup was destined to go to Mr. Strong.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009......uer.html

From the article:

John Strong, the freak show proprietor in Coney Island, had already offered Owensby $3,000 and sent a $1,000 down payment, but Siegel convinced him to back out and sell her the puppy for $4,000.
"[Precious] wasn't a freak, she was just a dog born with five legs," Owensby told the Daily News. "My girlfriend decided she didn't want to see her in a freak show."
"Strong told us it was an amazing animal farm," Owensby said. "I don't think a dog should go to a freak show."
Strong invited Owensby to visit his "Freaks of Nature" museum on Surf Ave. to prove that he treats all the animals with respect - including the two-headed cow, Nosey Rosey, and the Siamese turtles, Pete and Repeat - but Owensby refused

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world......LsWBkVLa
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Wow. The comments after the article are amazing--it seems the only possibility if the dog had gone to JS3's show (or any other, I would guess) is that it would be mistreated, abused, and humiliated. I doubt any of them has even seen the show.

How do they come to the conclusion that someone who displays a curiousity doesn't care about it?

When I adopted my 2-legged chihuahua, the foster owner said several times that she was glad he was going to someone who would love and care for the dog and not exploit it for its differences; I kept thinking, "Why can't I do both?"
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
And have you?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Quote:
On 2009-07-21 11:22, Stephon wrote:
How do they come to the conclusion that someone who displays a curiosity doesn't care about it?

Yeah...where did that notion come from?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye4YTZOq2fk
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Yes, all beliefs about how the world works should be drawn from movies.

Harley, yes; he is a happy, healthy member of our 3 person, 4 dog family, and has been a big hit at his CMSS appearances.

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yeah, and the commenters probably never even heard of Junior before, much less known his history.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
So a five legged dog is to be saved and the hearts of humans are filled with unicorns and joy at the prospect of saving said animal from being Lucifer's Pet...so what about Zack and Mack, my two-headed turtle.

I am willing to let the human compassion fill my coffers for say, a quarter of a million or so... or maybe a quarter of a trillion... a million, a trillion, its all the same these days...
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Harley--acknowledged; however, the point is that while they don't know that JS3 is walking advertisement for systemic colonics, they *assume* that, because he runs a freakshow, that he is going to mistreat this dog. My reaction is not support for Junior, it is indignation at the knee-jerk punters and la-las out there who are saying how this dog was "rescued" from some horrible fate of being "gawked at". *shudder*

The word "exploit" keeps being thrown out there; people are offended that the freakshow guy is going to put the dog on display for people to stare at, and *gasp* make money off of it. But where is their outrage at show dog owners, agility dog owners, frisbee trick dog owners? They put their animals on display, to be gawked at by the public, and they hope to make money of it. But that's ok.

Further, I haven't heard or read one thing stating that the dog's fifth leg is a health risk, causes pain, or is a problem in any way for the dog; still, they're eager to cut it off, not because it's in the best interest of the dog, but because they're uncomfortable that he looks different. I consider that mutilation. But hey, at least it won't be "gawked at".

And Walker dismounts the soapbox and, yes! He stuck the landing!

abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
Well Stephon, that is my point exactly! I am willing to let my boys be "rescued" for a tidy profit... But then again, maybe not... I am kinda fond of their little green heads...
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Stephon, we agree. I have little tolerance for peta-ism. Though, thinking about it, it certainly affirms the success of their PR campaign. Anthropomorphism at its worst.

But we wouldn't want to accuse them of misrepresentation, would we? Especially in a discussion where you admit that a poor tiny defenseless little 2-legged chihuahua could be hit.

www.bladewalker.com
abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
But come to think about it. Strong entered into a contract with Owensby, to which Ownesby reneged. I think Mr. Strong has a case in Small Claims Court since Ownesby violated the contract.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
This isn't a black and white discussion. It's very gray.

There's a big difference between sending money, and a contract. While many states uphold verbal agreements as contractual, enforcing those agreements is a different matter.

Every time my agents say "pencil in that date", it's a verbal agreement. Not all of them turn into jobs. Should I sue?

It's also an interstate deal, which makes it subject to federal law.

Aside from it being Junior, which guarantees that it's 100% suspect, there's still a lot we don't know.

(And I still think the peta-ites deserve words we're not allowed to use here.)

www.bladewalker.com
abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
Well, If he had already sent a grand, (according to the article), then I think he would have standing. If he just "promised" to send a down payment, then he would have no recourse. But its all moot, cause Mr. Strong was "convinced" to let Siegal buy the dog.

The whole thing stinks, especially after reading the comments to the articles...
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yes. It all stinks.

www.bladewalker.com
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Lumping these ignoramouses (ignoramice?) in with PETA is a compliment; as much as I dislike PETA, at least they're consistent in their wrong-headed condemnation of all types of animal ownership and display--these other douchcakes just jumped on the bandwagon without the slightest thought or consideration. There is nothing I despise more.

dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I think that too many people watched the movie "The Elephant Man" too many times. From that movie one comes away thinking that all sideshows (freakshows) mistreat their curiosities. That movie portrays these shows as dark and seedy affairs with no care for the people and animals in them. As far as I have been able to gather, the real Elephant Man was treated like royalty by his sideshow owner (the one in London, anyway). Smile
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
If JS is USDA licensed...and Dogs normal or otherwise...are required to have a USDA Class III Exhibitor License....and He has a USDA Program of Veterinary Care (Also required)...and he has proper cages and transport Facility's...and He has aquistion records of his other animals (Required) and he has copies of Health Certificates at least every 30 days...and he has copies of prior Non-no compliance Documentation from his previous USDA scheduled Inspections...plus a daily Health-log on his animals on Hand....I would think he would have sufficient Federal evidence to show he would be a Good keeper for the Dog...However, I have NOT been to Coney to veiw his other animals...Perhaps someone who did could comment on the Living Conditions of his other animals...as this would give a better picture than just paperwork.....
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
And Furthermore...I would NEVER show a "lIVE" deformed Dog or Cat for that matter..Being well versed in the USDA and AWA regs...not to mention the outcry from "Pet" owners...As I see it...The ONLY way to show a "LIVE" Dog or Cat would be to have a Luxury Travel Trailer with a glass side where the Public can veiw these critters relaxing on the couch wathing TV in air-conditioning...But, that's just me.....
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
Curator wrote:

The ONLY way to show a "LIVE" Dog or Cat would be to have a Luxury Travel Trailer with a glass side where the Public can veiw these critters relaxing on the couch wathing TV in air-conditioning...

Now that is a SHOW!
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » The World is Now Safe (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL