The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Where did you bought ESP deck? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WitchDoctor
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of WitchDoctor
Hello all,
I want to know where did you guy bought ESP deck?
normally my place order by Murphys, but I cant get a ESP deck without mxxk

Best Regards
:ridinghorse:
WhY SO SErIOUS?
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
Magicbox sell the Beyond Esp 2 deck

Peace and love

Matt
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
The spookclub also sells them, they have a few different ones.
You could try Tannes as well
Twitter @darjames
matt-g
View Profile
New user
Essex. England
79 Posts

Profile of matt-g
Try alakazam.co.uk
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
725 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
The Beyond ESP 2 deck(s) are the best ones I've seen in a long time.

The booklet that accompanies them could be an act in and of itself.

Great product!
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
I agree. The book that comes with Beyond Esp 2 is worth buying on its own!

Peace and love

Matt
baggins321
View Profile
Loyal user
United States
221 Posts

Profile of baggins321
Guys he doesn't want a marked deck. The only one I've found that isn't marked is http://www.maxello.com/index.php?p=9201&q=9603&c=fu-10344

However it's a bicycle deck so the back probably looks like a playing card?
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
I use the bicycle brand of esp cards and love them. You Can also get ones that are not bicycle at spookclub.com

Daren
Twitter @darjames
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
I searched spookclub for ESP deck, Zenner deck and Zener deck and came up blank
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
http://www.spookclub.com/advanced_search......sp+cards

This should help. Try puting esp cards instead of deck, it seems to work better for some reason.

Daren
Twitter @darjames
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
You could always go to the original source.

http://www.rhine.org/zenercards.htm

Randwill
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Well, if that were the original source, maybe. It has the name, part of it anyway. The original source was Duke University, and the orginal cards were less than 1/5th the price this place is charging for them. Smile
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2009-07-25 13:18, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Well, if that were the original source, maybe. It has the name, part of it anyway. The original source was Duke University, and the orginal cards were less than 1/5th the price this place is charging for them. Smile
The Rhine Research Institute (which I linked to as a source for the ESP cards) is what became of Dr. Rhine's initial program at Duke University. See here:

http://www.rhine.org/aboutus.htm

It's true that the cards they sell may not be printed on presses belonging to Duke University operated by Duke University employees and that they were not printed in the 30's but they are somewhat closer to the "original source" than the knock-offs sold at magic stores.

Thanks for presenting me with the opportunity to clarify and expand on my definition of the phrase "original source".

The price is higher, which I guess they justify by including Dr. Rhine's manual and the test sheets which magicians probably have little need for. They do come in a box with a drawing of Duke Chapel on, which is something that Max Maven incorporates in one of his presentations.

If you're in the central N.C. area you might be able to talk them into selling you a half dozen packs of just the cards without the other stuff at a good price. That's what I did.

Randwill
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

As anyone who purchased the original cards knows, they came with a pamphlet that was copy written by Duke University. The Pamphlet that is being sold by this place is by Dr. Louisa E. Rhine, Dr. J. B. Rhine's late wife (saying it was written by Dr. Rhine is true, but not the same Dr. Rhine people here would assume..).

The original cards were published and sold by Duke University. These replica cards have a similar packaging (both have a picture of the University, but that is the extent of it), the name "Duke University" the original wording on the box, the coloring, of the box, and the image are different (they don’t show the other side so I cannot say anything about that). The cards are different in color; they don’t show the back design so I cannot say if it is the same. This all makes sense since Duke University has the copy write on their designs, and this is not Duke University issuing these cards.

Tony
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

I just looked at my deck, the copy write is J. B. Rhine, not Duke University (although they printed them and sold them).

Tony
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
About the decks I bought from the Rhine Research Institute; they have the symbols printed in very dark blue, almost black. The backs are very dark blue (but not as dark as the symbols) with a random pattern of tiny stars. The backs could be used as a one-way back. The front of the box has the artwork of the Duke Chapel and the words, "Developed In Parapsychology Laboratory at Duke University". The back of the box depicts the five cards and has the words, "For Testing Extra Sensory Perception". They were manufactured, it says, by Haines House of Cards.

If it were important to a performer to tie in the experiments of Dr. J.B. Rhine at Duke University with their presentation, I believe these cards and the box would add some legitimacy to such a presentation. But as Tony correctly points out, these are not the original cards that were printed decades ago for Dr. J.B. Rhine's studies of ESP at Duke University. Rather they are newly printed and sold by the Rhine Research Institute (which was founded by Dr. J.B. Rhine in 1963) which is no longer associated with Duke University. To Duke's credit, in my opinion, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

Hope this helps.

Randwill
aldiamo
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of aldiamo
The Zener deck that most magic dealers sell is marked. Just look at the stars at the corner.
Victor Ian Smith
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
65 Posts

Profile of Victor Ian Smith
So does anyone have a source for the real "original" cards?

I spoke with someone at the Rhine Institute and they said that they could sell three sets of cards with one set of instructions / test sheet pad including s&h for $50.

Randwill - what kind of deal were you able to get? I only need the cards so if I could get a half dozen for a decent price that would be great.

Thanks
"Do what you love...

...and you will never work a day of your life"

- Confucius
Victor Ian Smith
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
65 Posts

Profile of Victor Ian Smith
NEW UPDATE!

I bought a few sets from THE MAGIC GADGET SITE and they were great. Shipped immediately and nice guys to buy from!

http://www.themagicgadgetsite.com/index1.html?c49.html&1

Go to the "Close Up Mentalism" section and you will find just boxes (2 for 6.95) and the cards (one set / no box 9.95).

The cards are solid (no white border on back) and the boxes are in very good condition. Either they are the original or exactly like the original Rhine / Duke cards. They even come with the instruction cards.

The prices are reasonable as well!!
"Do what you love...

...and you will never work a day of your life"

- Confucius
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4149 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Beyond ESP 2 is as good as unmarked decks. They actually look WAY more inconscpicuous than the funky ones with Bicycle backs or strange flourishy patterns.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Where did you bought ESP deck? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL