The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Should I learn card magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Masterhackist
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Masterhackist
Hobbies are good for you and card magic is great, and maybe in the future you will want to perform a little to seem awesome to your friends
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Yes
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2009-07-23 12:55, JIMclubber64 wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-23 08:10, funsway wrote:
The problem with card tricks, from my experience, is that doing one is an invitation for someone else to "show you theirs." This may be fine for family or friends if you wish "to get something going," but will never be a demonstration of your magical skills, nor a way to develope your audience engagement skills.

This is exactly why I don't do very much card work. Almost everytime I perfom for someone, even strangers, they ask if they can borrow the deck and, as funsway said, "show me theirs."

That's actually one of the things I LOVE about card tricks. It's such a treat when somebody wants to show me what they can do, even if it's only something raw with little showmanship and based around a single sleight or principle. They're basically telling what they think magic is all about. Even if you disagree, or wouldn't ever do that same trick for a paying audience with a gun pointed to your head, it's such wonderful research.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
daven86
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of daven86
Thanks, I showed my parents and girlfriend the biddle trick and they liked it so I think I'm going to continue but just for family and friends Smile
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Sure! Learn and do to family, in social situations, maybe in your real job the magic may help you on certain things!
Best wishes,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
newtomagic
View Profile
New user
Merion, Pa
78 Posts

Profile of newtomagic
Search out a version of the "Triumph" effect. There are easy to hard versions of this effect. This was the first "go to" effect I started with cards. It gets really great reactions.
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
Quote:
On 2009-07-23 07:10, daven86 wrote:
Hi all,

I have just begun to get interested in sleight of hand and card magic in general - regular decks no gimmicks. However I have no intention of doing shows or anything like that. I was wondering if it is worth my time to do it simply as a hobby? I am interested in things like the gamblers cheat deals, twisting the aces, "million dollar card trick", culling cards, etc. Nothing too fancy just cool card tricks similar to Ricky Jay for example. I also wouldn't mind learning some flourishes.

My question really is; what can do you with magic other than perform to audiences? Is there any point in just learning it for family / friends / colleagues / yourself?

Thanks

Daven

I find it interesting that you joined the Magic Café to ask if you should learn card tricks. You don't need anyone to tell you if you should or shouldn't do this. It is a hobby and once you start you may very well expand into other types of magic (or not) and you may want to start performing professionally (or not) but it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, including me.

I personally hope you continue on your journey into this facinating art.
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 16:50, daven86 wrote:
Thanks, I showed my parents and girlfriend the biddle trick and they liked it so I think I'm going to continue but just for family and friends Smile

And so it begins! Smile
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Should I learn card magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL