The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Kurotsuke : What hand is it in, the complete story as told by us on the Café. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Psychologic
View Profile
New user
London, UK
77 Posts

Profile of Psychologic
You could also add to the list: 'Prevaricator' by Patrick Redford andd 'True Lies' by Marc Paul.
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
I use The Relic with Child's Play. I do the entire routine blindfolded and talk about body language so the audience can see it but I'm blindfolded throughout the entire thing.

The reason I like The Relic is because it is different from a Kurotsuke routine. With Kurotsuke, it is all about chance...the person who gets the black ball just so happened to get it and now you have to figure it out.

But when using The Relic with 5 people and one of them gets to chose who holds onto the necklace then it changes the premise. Now it isn't just about reading body language, it is about me being able to see into the spectator's thoughts as to who they "decided" to give the necklace to.

I prefer that premise over the original Kurotsuke routine which is why I use The Relic with CP. And the reason I use those two are because CP allows me to get a good read when I'm blindfolded from the top or bottom of the hand.

Benji
domclarke
View Profile
Regular user
Windsor, UK
126 Posts

Profile of domclarke
May be this doesn't exactly fit here - but is a 'which hand' type effect. I borrow someone's silver coin, switch it for a c/s, introduce my copper coin (second c/s). I have one in each hand - they have to guess where their coin is in my hands.
I play it as I'm influencing their selection on each choice. Very easy, and looks very clean as the both my hands are in front of them when they select- but allows me to concentrate on the presentation.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1534 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Greg, first of all thanks for the link. Wonderful!

I do have a question - the old Max Maven tape is sitting in my basement somewhere but I do remember it being a common lunch bag I believe. Are the two ideas, pinch and peek workable with a lunch bag without being "caught"?

Am I being a nut for having passed on this years ago? These new ideas seem to take it one step further in that you can drop each marble/stone in fairly whereas you weren't able to as much before right?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6470 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I did Chad's peek all week long at the Castle and never got caught. As a matter of fact, some of the guys who know the original routine came up to me wondering how I actually knew who had what at the end.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Cristobal
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaga (Spain)
288 Posts

Profile of Cristobal
BOHT from THE SAFWAN PAPERS by Bryn Reynolds. Great method and great ebook. (From http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/the-......wan.html ).

Any of you have tried Prevaricator with the last two persons in the original Maven's Kurotsuke version (while using Maven's original verbal out)?
nboisen
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of nboisen
Greg,

Do you just do the peek, but still dropping the stones in all at once? Or are you also dropping in the stones one-by-one and using the corner hold-out as in Chad's original post?

Thanks.

Neil
Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
I've exhausted most methods for a "which hand" type effect and the ones I now use in a professional situation are Sixth Sense for a coin (which I've modified so the vibration unit is away from the sensor) and Proximity for a tagged item.

I've had the pleasure of beta testing Proximity and it is indeed incredible, you don't have to go anywhere near the hands to know if it contains the object. Craig Filicetti's service is also a first class.

Regards

Andrew
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6470 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
As Chad suggested, you just peek just before the last stone is pulled out by the last person.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2167 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On 2009-07-27 05:32, Cristobal wrote:
BOHT from THE SAFWAN PAPERS by Bryn Reynolds. Great method and great ebook. (From http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/the-......wan.html ).

BOHT is my pet....I'm glad you like him.

Bryn
*QUARANTINE SPECIAL!!!*
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls Mentalism ebooks - Now just $20 each!

Just PayPal to:
bryn@darkmountainarts.com
(No PayPal account? Just shoot me your email and I'll send you an invoice that can be paid with any card.)

REVIEWS:
" The Safwan Papers":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

Browse my Artwork!
https://www.darkmountainarts.com
Facebook & Instagram: #DarkMountainArts
gab
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of gab
I like it as well but if I'm right, you can do it only once!
Aaron Little
View Profile
Loyal user
Lexington KY
263 Posts

Profile of Aaron Little
I use my own presentation of BOHT regularly and have been very happy with it. I cannot recommend The Safwan Papers highly enough.
Pierre Emmanuel
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pierre Emmanuel
Actually I'm really impressed by something,

take kurotsuke, compare it to this :
put a dollar in an enveloppe and 4 blank papers in other enveloppes. Mix them, and give them back to spectators (or they take them !) You can say who has taken the dollar.

Same thing, in terms of technique and type of effect ! But the spectator would probably appreciate kurotsuke far more, and it's a different trick .. mmmm .. why !?!
Cristobal
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaga (Spain)
288 Posts

Profile of Cristobal
Quote:
On 2009-07-28 09:53, mindhunter wrote:
Quote:

Bryn

I like it a lot (this piece and the entire ebook). I have develop my own approach based in BOHT but sincerely I have not tried it in real performance yet. It's true that BOHT can not be repeated, but I think it's possible to combine variations of BOHT (Jerome Finley propose something similar).

Bryn, I would like to share with you some ideas Smile
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2415 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
There are tons of variations on a theme, particularly here, many do this effect with object other than the standard coin or marble, and it is really liked by a spectator, the bill effect from Pierre above is a true and stunning piece of close up, it has also been done with lottery cards, I think that was a Larry Becker idea, and the list of items is endless, I used to use a borrowed wedding band, and the wife would hold the ring while the husband and I would guess what hand, of coarse I was always right , but there was room for fun and laughs, thanks to Pierre for reminding us to expand our imagination.
Pierre Emmanuel
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pierre Emmanuel
Quote:
On 2009-07-30 06:51, dave wrote:
There are tons of variations on a theme, particularly here, many do this effect with object other than the standard coin or marble, and it is really liked by a spectator, the bill effect from Pierre above is a true and stunning piece of close up, it has also been done with lottery cards, I think that was a Larry Becker idea, and the list of items is endless, I used to use a borrowed wedding band, and the wife would hold the ring while the husband and I would guess what hand, of coarse I was always right , but there was room for fun and laughs, thanks to Pierre for reminding us to expand our imagination.

In fact what I mean is that with other objects, it is less strong, and better, you can even make two versions of it, people won't consider they have seen the same trick, and I really wonder why !?!
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
I'm using Body Language with better props than are supplied and in a fashion similar to Derren. Ive used Equinox which I found to be unreliable and poor quality (though I understand its now much improved.) But Max's original is dificult to beat and it can be done virtually impromptu and is as cheap as chips!

Nice thread!
Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
I have my own method for this which is completely impromptu, requires no gimmicks, and......NO BAG! It is, however, very strong and I use it regularly in my professional closeup shows.

I'm hoping to put out an e-book soon of some of my ideas and routines that I use in my closeup and parlour shows and this will be among them. One thing to note, however, if you a magician turned mentalist you will have a distinct advantage.

Regards

Andrew
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2167 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On 2009-07-30 04:03, Cristobal wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-28 09:53, mindhunter wrote:
Quote:

Bryn

I like it a lot (this piece and the entire ebook). I have develop my own approach based in BOHT but sincerely I have not tried it in real performance yet. It's true that BOHT can not be repeated, but I think it's possible to combine variations of BOHT (Jerome Finley propose something similar).

Bryn, I would like to share with you some ideas Smile

I would love to hear them!

Jerome Finley utilized BOHT in his Thought Channel 2.0 and includes some incredible takes on the theme.

There are many variations on this most interesting plot, as has been discussed in this thread.

A good performer can just make it so interesting and entertaining!

Bryn
*QUARANTINE SPECIAL!!!*
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls Mentalism ebooks - Now just $20 each!

Just PayPal to:
bryn@darkmountainarts.com
(No PayPal account? Just shoot me your email and I'll send you an invoice that can be paid with any card.)

REVIEWS:
" The Safwan Papers":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

Browse my Artwork!
https://www.darkmountainarts.com
Facebook & Instagram: #DarkMountainArts
Cristobal
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaga (Spain)
288 Posts

Profile of Cristobal
Quote:
On 2009-07-30 17:55, mindhunter wrote:

Jerome Finley utilized BOHT in his Thought Channel 2.0 and includes some incredible takes on the theme.

I've just read Jerome Finley's Thought Channel (1 & 2) this week and it's amazing. He has a "simple" routine with the "which hand" ploy that I MUST PERFORM! He uses BOHT for one of the phases. The last time he guess the hand turned back. Impressive Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Kurotsuke : What hand is it in, the complete story as told by us on the Café. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL