The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Levitation system (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I do a chair suspension in my some of my shows, and it seems to have a pretty good reaction. There are less limiations on performing situations, but it doesn't have the same impact as taking away both supports.

I also do a super-x in some of my shows, and it seems to get a great reaction, too. There are more limitations on performing situations.

Having said that, I know there are way better options out there, such as Suspension 3001 or the Ladder Levitation. Both are on my wish list, but it's likely I will get a Suspension 3001 first. There are some specific things about those illusions that are an improvement over a super-x, in my opinion. However, as has been pointed out, there are still limitations on performing situations.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
The reactions for a chair suspension are pretty good. Jumping and yelling surely isn't better.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Re: "...Jumping and yelling..."

I assume you're talking about a kidshow.

I have never had that happen during a chair suspension personally. But I get a good reaction.

Jumping and yelling is usually in response to a "look, don't see" trick, sucker trick, or something with great comedy.

Some performers get that reaction in their kidshows without hauling in lots of big equipment (without doing a chair suspension). And they can get to more shows, have less struggles with hauling big props, less set-up and strike time, lower equipment costs, etc.

A prop does not make a magic show. A magician and his personality make a magic show. Your props are like tools. It's a carpenter that builds a house, using his tools.

There are many different show styles, and they each have their weaknesses and strengths. Some work with just smaller props, some with just larger props, and some with a mixture of the two.

Do whatever works for you, as long as you are happy and your customers are happy, and you aren't being unethical (not hurting others or yourself).

Just because you prefer certain tricks, doesn't mean the ones that others choose to use (or prefer) are "bad."

- Donald
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
I agree with you Donald,

I use a chair suspension in every kids show I do, and always get a great reaction from the children. It all depends on what you want to use it for, where and how you want to use it. Are there better systems than the chair suspension? You bet!!! But that does not mean the chair suspension is "all bad".

Louis
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Quote:
On 2009-07-25 02:07, Donald Dunphy wrote:
No. I haven't been to that shop.

- Donald

Do you ever head in to Granville?

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Granville is over on the lower mainland. I only go to the mainland a few times a year, and I'm usually busy with going to and from shows while on the lower mainland. It's mostly the island life for me. Smile

The shop I visit more frequently, is Murray's Trick and Joke Shop in Victoria, owned by Illusionist Murray Hatfield.

- Donald
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Robert Harbin got a tremendous reaction with his chair suspension. Remember... it's not what you do but HOW YOU DO IT.

Sidebar re: Blaney's. First time I saw him do it (live) the footlights blocked the base and I swore he did it without a base. Fried me big time. Another time, in Rotterdam, Holland, he got a gal up to help and when she was laying flat on the board, she suddenly sat upright and looked back and down. Walter immediately grabbed her and pushed her back down, saying something like, "CAREFUL DON'T MOVE YOU CAN BE HURT."

Turned out she was from a local newspaper and trying to do a story EXPOSING all the secrets in the show.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Quote:
On 2009-07-26 11:55, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Granville is over on the lower mainland. I only go to the mainland a few times a year, and I'm usually busy with going to and from shows while on the lower mainland. It's mostly the island life for me. Smile

The shop I visit more frequently, is Murray's Trick and Joke Shop in Victoria, owned by Illusionist Murray Hatfield.

- Donald

I actually might be heading over to Victoria Island this time, but I'm not sure. I'll be busking in Granville.

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Just to clarify. Victoria is one of the cities on Vancouver Island. You have to fly by plane or catch a ferry to get on or off of the island. The island is off of the coast of Vancouver / the lower mainland of B.C. There are several smaller Gulf Islands around Vancouver Island. Victoria Island no where near B.C., it is up in northern Canada, in the territories. Smile

I don't do busking, but I know of someone who was busking in the Granville area not too long ago, and is now busking in another city. If you have any questions about busking there, be sure to ask them in the buskers area of TMC.

Maybe we should be having this conversation by PM, so as not to derail the thread.

- Donald
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Quote:
On 2009-07-26 14:55, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Just to clarify. Victoria is one of the cities on Vancouver Island. You have to fly by plane or catch a ferry to get on or off of the island. The island is off of the coast of Vancouver / the lower mainland of B.C. There are several smaller Gulf Islands around Vancouver Island. Victoria Island no where near B.C., it is up in northern Canada, in the territories. Smile

I don't do busking, but I know of someone who was busking in the Granville area not too long ago, and is now busking in another city. If you have any questions about busking there, be sure to ask them in the buskers area of TMC.

Maybe we should be having this conversation by PM, so as not to derail the thread.

- Donald

I know I need to catch a ferry. I've been there before. And your right, let's get this thread back on track.

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Levitation system (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL