The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Electronics for Magicians (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Are all the components readily available, like at Radio Shack?
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2009-08-30 19:33, slyhand wrote:
Are all the components readily available, like at Radio Shack?

Yup. I designed everything to use only absolutely industry standard components. They make millions if not billions of each component every year. None of this stuff is going to become unavailable.
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
I would not hesitate to purchase this if you have even a remote (pardon the pun) interest in electronics. This is exactly what I needed, and has stimulated a multitude of ideas! Brilliant!

The most useful ebook I have purchased in a loooong time.

Luke
erichall
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
69 Posts

Profile of erichall
What a great e(book). I have been interested in this area of mentalism for a month now, and this explains and covers everything I hoped it would and more. I'm on page 19 and have already come up with 4 different routines in my mind that I can now create! I have minimal electronic knowledge and all of this is covered as well.

Thanks Mr. Thompson!
Looking forward to part 2-
lil_magic
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of lil_magic
Can someone list the contents on what it tells you how to make?
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2009-10-07 15:57, lil_magic wrote:
Can someone list the contents on what it tells you how to make?

The table of contents is in the online preview, but briefly, the demo projects are a PK device to detect an embedded neo, an updated version of Corinda/Anneman's Moonlight Madness signalling device, and a gaff to "haunt" a torch. The thing is, it's about more than the end projects. I introduce standard electronic components but from a magician's point of view, rather than that of an electronics student, so there's no boring theory, just practical applications.

Book 2 is ALL projects. Smile
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Looking forward to vol 2. if your interested. ill let you in on my bluetooth clipboard if you can help with producing software for it.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Bravo - Bravo -- more, more!!!
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2009-11-29 23:54, chmara wrote:
Bravo - Bravo -- more, more!!!

Thank you very much! I'm working very hard to make volume two as useful as possible.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
When, When? (LOL)
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2009-12-09 14:07, chmara wrote:
When, When? (LOL)

Well, it'll be after Christmas. Hopefully February.
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:
On 2009-07-28 07:25, Jon_Thompson wrote:
Thanks for the review chaps.

Now the basics are out of the way, volume II is already in the works. It'll have all kinds of useful gadgets in it: a metal detector, range finder, sound-activated trigger, to name but three, plus yet more strange, interesting but above all useful components.

Metal detector? Would that be suitable for Anverdi's "Surprise box"? (I belive that some of the electronic effects in the Anverdi book are in need of an update).

To everyone else: I bought Volume 1 a few days ago, and I recommend it highly. You need to get it more than any book on any other genre, because this is the only one of its kind. If you are not interested in the topic, buy it anyway and give it to a friend or some promising young magician - to support and ensure that more of this knowledge get into print.
I know that I will buy more copies, to give to fellow magicians as christmas gifts.

I recommend this ebook over my own ebooks. Smile
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
406 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
I have always been interested in electronics when used for magical effects. Tony Anverdi was one of my heros. I especially loved his version of the Amazing Card Dog trick. The one where you have a card selected and lost in the deck. Cards are dealt into a box in front of the dog and he starts barking when you are about to deal the card you selected. It is a gem!

Recently I had a local magician tinkerer and electronic wiz to make me a trick that functions like the Anverdi trick. It is marvelous - and since you can't get an Anverdi trick any more - this is very special to have one that works so well. If you are interested in having this fellow build you an "Anverdi Dog" trick or some other custom electronic piece - toy can give him an eMail. His name is Todd Cox and his eMail address is:
tcox634@hotmail.com. He will do a good job for you. I am completely satisfied with my dog and am so glad that I can do the Anverdi effect in my close-up act.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Do you have any pics Rhettbryson of the Anverdi dog?
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
Jon - How's the second book coming along?
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 12:23, billfromoregon wrote:
Jon - How's the second book coming along?

Slowly. My laptop's disk went kaput and I lost a lot of notes I thought were covered by the backup job. But the project was becoming unwieldy and needed cutting back. Plus I'm under serious pressure to finish Naked Mentalism 3, so I'm doing a bit on each book early each morning, doing my "day" job - I'm a feature writer - and designing and building hardware when I can.

Busy, busy, busy! I'll get there, though.
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Jon 'Tomo' Thompson latest work Electronics for Magicians is "BRILLIANT" and a must own for every student of the art of building you own electronics props. This work is a steal at the twice price.

Bill Montana

I have a working knowledge of electronics and this work helped me understand some of the earlier works on the subject that were interesting but not always clear.

Can't wait for Volume 2....

This work is 10/10
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Ladies and gentlemen, it gives me great pleasure to say that the first part of the second volume of Electronics for Magicians is finished and available!

The sheer amount of work involved has made it impractical to produce the entire thing in one go, so I've opted to publish it in parts. This first one contains some very sensitive modules for detecting things like sound and human touch, as well as modules for producing timed outputs and controlling external equipment. There's also a very useful heating element to build for all you flash paper users. I show how to put these modules together to create effects and everything is fully illustrated.

Click on my sig below for a free preview. Enjoy!

P.S: It's been so long in the making that I've forgotten who I promised free or review copies to. Please get in touch to remind me what we were talking about, but don't take the mickey and try to blag a freebie.
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
I've just bought Volume 2. Highly recommended!

There exists almost no litterature on this topic, so even if you are not interested in electronic magic, buy it anyway and give it as a gift to someone who might be - as it might encourage the writing of a third volume.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2011-01-18 00:02, TStone wrote:
I've just bought Volume 2. Highly recommended!

There exists almost no litterature on this topic, so even if you are not interested in electronic magic, buy it anyway and give it as a gift to someone who might be - as it might encourage the writing of a third volume.

I'm already compiling notes for the third volume (actually volume 2 part 2).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Electronics for Magicians (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL